Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Southwest Virginia Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/22/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

tank cleaning?

during the long weekend I have started cleaning up the 200 and have run in to some difficult scale deposits on the glass.

I have tried vinegar and it is not getting it done, Mike suggested muriatic acid.

Is this the best choice or is there somethig else I should try? Also will this be safe on the silicone joints of the tank? and last where do I get my hands on this stuff, Lowes?
Old 11/22/2007, 06:42 PM
wm3.org

I have heard so many people talking about using Muriatic .. I myself haven't used it to clean , but I do have it at work if you need some.... I guess soaking in warm water and vinegar is out? ... Sometimes I can't get things scraped off with just the vinegar but if I soak it it comes off... With that volume that would be a pain...
Old 11/22/2007, 11:58 PM
Premium Member

Contractors use it to clean off mud splatter from brick. It should be available at building supply stores.
Old 11/23/2007, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

Have you tried a razor?? Carefull not to scratch the glass.
Old 11/23/2007, 09:16 AM
titankinetics.com

I have soaked pumps in muriatic acid (Matts tip of the day) to clean them up from coraline but I made sure that I took all the o-rings off before I soaked it. Not sure on silicone. I got mine from North West Hardware. My guess is that the manufaturer would be a good start. Also if you use muriatic acid make sure your room if very well ventilated. Peeoooo.
Old 11/24/2007, 03:18 AM
Registered Member

It's available at Lowes in the gardening department. It'll be on ground level.

I'm not brave enough to swish it around and scrub with it, so when I use it I fill a 5 gal 3/4 full with water and dump acid bit by bit into it. I'd fill your tank with water and add acid in increments to it and let it run with a powerhead overnight, unless you're comfortable working with it.

HTH
Old 11/24/2007, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

I picked up a gallon at lowes and am going to try it soon
Old 11/24/2007, 09:32 AM
wm3.org

Jorge , I know this is stating the obvious , but please be careul ... I have to use different kinds of caustis and acids at work, and they are unforgiving. Read that MSDS that comes with it carefully ....
Old 11/24/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

started a test area with some diluted and it is working well, I also deal with all kinds of chemicals, I am wearing gloves and being careful, dont worry Eric.

By the way for all those out there the muriatic acid works very well removing the scale within minutes