Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/02/2007, 12:08 PM
I'm accident prone

A question for you gun folks

I've seen the threads where many of you show off your arsenal. I don't have any weapons, but I'm looking into getting something for home defense and to have fun at the range. I travel a lot so the real kicker is that it must be woman friendly. My wife has fired a shotgun (the king home defense weapon) but it scared the daylights out of her and what good is a weapon that she won't use? I've considered a handgun (like my Sig P229 that I use at the CG station), but I'd like something more "fun". I was looking into getting the Beretta CX4 Storm in .40, but I'm not sure. I'd like to keep it under $1k fully rigged with tactical gear (gun show prices, of course). Ammo price is another concern since I'd like to use it a few times a month at the range. Oh, I'm a huge fan of the futuristic look of the Storm (which is what I'm drawn to) and the coolness factor. Any ideas?
Old 11/02/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Fun at the range. OK

Home defense. No. I say that because to keep a gun safely in any house, it should be unloaded, clip removed, ammo stored somewhere separate than the gun and the gun locked somewhere.

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 11/02/2007, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

For me, I can't be running around looking for my loaded clip somewhere else, if an home invasion is happening. I have a

under my bed, so I can have quick access. Rest of my firearms is stored safely in a cabinet styles gun safe.

Just my $0.02
Old 11/02/2007, 01:04 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

I always find a little bit of error in folks who buy a gun (which more than likely ends up being a pistol) solely for personal protection or for "home defense." For one thing most people aren't experienced enough , combined with a high stress situation that would require a gun for protection and most are going to be more of a danger to themselves or bystanders than any would be criminal. It literally takes years and thousands upon THOUSANDS of rounds to get proficient at shooting a pistol in just a range environment (yes, I used to shoot competitively for many years ). Much less in a situation like a home invasion.

A gun is a great if you want to have fun at the range. This is an opinion and an opinion only but I think everybody should learn how to shoot, and shoot safely, but a gun for home protection - unless you're dedicated to go out to the range often and practice practice practice is going to be more of a danger than a help .

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 11/02/2007, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dinoman
I always find a little bit of error in folks who buy a gun (which more than likely ends up being a pistol) solely for personal protection or for "home defense." For one thing most people aren't experienced enough , combined with a high stress situation that would require a gun for protection and most are going to be more of a danger to themselves or bystanders than any would be criminal. It literally takes years and thousands upon THOUSANDS of rounds to get proficient at shooting a pistol in just a range environment (yes, I used to shoot competitively for many years ). Much less in a situation like a home invasion.

A gun is a great if you want to have fun at the range. This is an opinion and an opinion only but I think everybody should learn how to shoot, and shoot safely, but a gun for home protection - unless you're dedicated to go out to the range often and practice practice practice is going to be more of a danger than a help .
That's pretty much what I meant too but I didn't have the time as I'M AT WORK

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 11/02/2007, 01:21 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by crp
That's pretty much what I meant too but I didn't have the time as I'M AT WORK
Like I don't have things to do?! Why I had to type that as fast as I could so I could eat lunch before it got cold!

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 11/02/2007, 01:26 PM
I'm accident prone

I'll add a little more info. I've been shooting often for about 6 years now, but never had the ability to afford a gun. My dad shot competitively and was a concealed firearms instructor for years. While I've never been actively engaged in a firefight we do go through training simulations. Of course, no one hopes to ever be actively engaged in combat.
Old 11/02/2007, 01:30 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by uscgbeachbum
I'll add a little more info. I've been shooting often for about 6 years now, but never had the ability to afford a gun. My dad shot competitively and was a concealed firearms instructor for years. While I've never been actively engaged in a firefight we do go through training simulations. Of course, no one hopes to ever be actively engaged in combat.
In that case you'll be better suited than 98% of the people out there! I got the impression it was mostly for your wife who'd only shot a couple of times.

Old 11/02/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

I'd say skip the home defense logic. (I have multiple guns and they are all kept safely locked up). For the reasons stated above, I don't want to risk an accident. Now for plinking at the range, get a .22 pistol. You can shoot that thing all day long and the ammo is dirt cheap.

Have you ever shot the Coast Guard shotgun course? I never did it, but I have watched it several times while at the range. I did shoot the PPC, JPC, and the basic rifle/handgun courses.
Old 11/02/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

german k98 or russian mosin-nagant

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears

Rehab is for quitters.

I like the smell of a particularly ripe fart (only if it is mine).~BrianD
Old 11/02/2007, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

I would suggest a carbine length AR 15 for home defense. Before anyone says over-penetration or too long they should check out a reputable school like Gunsite where they have courses. Overpenetration tends to be a myth especially if you use Hornady Personal Defense rounds. As far as length I have seen AR-15 with suppressor attached properly shouldered the same tactical length as any handgun in Weaver stance. Advantages of AR-15 cheap practice ammo, low recoil(for women and older children), plenty of manufacturers too choose from, utter reliabilty when properly maintained. you should be able to find one in your budget. I suggest Rock River Arms with an EOtech sight. FWIW

Although I do like the K98 LOL
Old 11/02/2007, 04:11 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

For home defense with people that don't go to the range at LEAST once per month, a revolver is by far the best choice. It's very simple to use, very easy to maintain, and doesn't jerk around when fired.

I would suggest purchasing a .357 and running .38 Special +P's in it for a weapon that your wife may need to use. The .357's are heavier built and more durable than the .38 Specials.

My second and MOST importantly, both of you should go to a local range and take some basic handgun courses. Do this before you even buy a firearm as they have range guns which are well maintained and let you fire a variety of weapons before selecting one.

Third, be sure to learn the rules concerning the use lethal force for self defense in the State of California. This is another thing that the pistol shop should be able to teach you about.
Old 11/02/2007, 04:18 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
Originally posted by tdog44632
I would suggest a carbine length AR 15 for home defense. Before anyone says over-penetration or too long they should check out a reputable school like Gunsite where they have courses. Overpenetration tends to be a myth especially if you use Hornady Personal Defense rounds. As far as length I have seen AR-15 with suppressor attached properly shouldered the same tactical length as any handgun in Weaver stance. Advantages of AR-15 cheap practice ammo, low recoil(for women and older children), plenty of manufacturers too choose from, utter reliabilty when properly maintained. you should be able to find one in your budget. I suggest Rock River Arms with an EOtech sight. FWIW

Although I do like the K98 LOL

The 5.56 mm (e.g. .223) is a rather poor round for shooting people with. The military is partial to it because killing an enemy soldier isn't nearly as effective as wounding him is on a traditional battlefield and a soldier can carry a LOT more 5.56 mm ammo than 7.62 mm.

If you don't believe me just look to the caliber of the Marine Corps' designated marksmen, all NATO snipers (U.S. included), and the vast majority of police snipers. They're all shooting 7.62 (e.g. .308 winchester.)

You want a .30 caliber round or larger. The .22 caliber rounds don't hit very hard and giving them more velocity doesn't change that. For home defense, an MP5 or similar submachine gun (set up for semi-auto fire only) is a far better choice.
Old 11/02/2007, 04:19 PM
Where the future begins!

IMO, if the kick from a shotgun (not sure what kind you had her shoot, but of course the cheaper ones like mossburgs tend to have more kick) scared your wife, then I really doubt the kick from a pistol is going to make things any better. I certainly wouldn't by a .357 or .38 Special if she is going to be using it. The kick from both of those guns are terrible, even though they are rather pretty.

I havn't shot pistols enough to really recommend one for your family. You need to really take her to a Gun Shop with a range in it, and try a few out with her there.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 11/02/2007, 04:22 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
Originally posted by JokerGirl
IMO, if the kick from a shotgun (not sure what kind you had her shoot, but of course the cheaper ones like mossburgs tend to have more kick) scared your wife, then I really doubt the kick from a pistol is going to make things any better. I certainly wouldn't by a .357 or .38 Special if she is going to be using it. The kick from both of those guns are terrible, even though they are rather pretty.

I havn't shot pistols enough to really recommend one for your family. You need to really take her to a Gun Shop with a range in it, and try a few out with her there.

My ex HATED shotguns for the recoil, but loved all my handguns. The recoil from a shotgun is really stiff (especially 10 and 12 gages.)
Old 11/02/2007, 04:30 PM
Where the future begins!

I dunno... maybe it's because I grew up shooting shotguns, but I tend to prefer the kick from a shotgun over that of a handgun.

Was shooting our neighbour's SW .38 Special with the +P rounds, and it's Glock when we last went, and didn't even finish a clip out of either of them.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 11/02/2007, 05:09 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
I dunno... maybe it's because I grew up shooting shotguns, but I tend to prefer the kick from a shotgun over that of a handgun.

Was shooting our neighbour's SW .38 Special with the +P rounds, and it's Glock when we last went, and didn't even finish a clip out of either of them.

It's definitely a different kind of recoil given that one is into the shoulder and the other is into the hand. I don't mind any of them, but I'm far better with a rifle or a revolver than an semi-automatic pistol. I think it's because of how the automatics tend to jerk around as the action cycles.
Old 11/02/2007, 05:30 PM
Where the future begins!

I understand what you mean with the recoil between a revolver/rifle and anything that is semi-automatic. It's the same way with shotguns too. I can't stand using the semi-auto Beretta gas powered shotguns because the action is entirely way too smooth on them.
Do evil in return."

Old 11/02/2007, 05:37 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
I understand what you mean with the recoil between a revolver/rifle and anything that is semi-automatic. It's the same way with shotguns too. I can't stand using the semi-auto Beretta gas powered shotguns because the action is entirely way too smooth on them.

Actually, semi-auto long guns don't bother me. I'm typically a bolt action rifle guy, but mostly because that's what I grew up shooting and I seldom need a second shot with a rifle. (It is bragging, but I am very good with them and I'm also very careful about my shot selection.)
Old 11/02/2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

one shot, one kill

i also prefer bolt action rifles. One because they are easy to maintain, save ammo, and have a greater degree of accuracy. And if you get one, it's great to have in the case of a zombie uprising. It makes you choose your shots more selectivley, instead of rock n' rollin with a semi auto or a full auto, thus saving ammo when in short supply(like when the world is taken over by zombies). Plus, they have stopping power, and are just plain fun and a thrill to shoot

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears

Rehab is for quitters.

I like the smell of a particularly ripe fart (only if it is mine).~BrianD