Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 10/23/2007, 08:32 AM
I'm accident prone

Is it normal for the stove surface to be hot?

I know what you're thinking. Isn't it supposed to be hot? Well, the burners are not the surface surrounding the burners, right? We just moved in to this house about 3 months ago where all of the appliances stayed. The stove is electric. When any of the burners are on the entire surface of the stove gets extremely hot. My wife has burned herself bumping against it quite a few times. We have a warranty on the house which includes all of the appliances, but its $55 per visit for them to look at it. Of course if they can't fix it they give us a new one. The repair guy is coming today, but if this is normal I'll cancel the repair and just look into buying a different type of stove. Oh, this is not one of those glass top smooth stoves. Its an "old fashioned" coil burner stove.
Old 10/23/2007, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

if you mean when there are no burners on then yes, i would think it would be very unusual that the top would remain hot.

my stove is gas and the pilot lights keep small areas on the stove hot. not really hot, just really really warm.
Old 10/23/2007, 08:38 AM
Ha! I finally hit 500!

If the whole stove top around the burners gets hot when one of the burners is on, I would call that a problem. My old stove used to get hot when the oven was on, but not so hot that the surface would burn you. Sounds like a malfunction to me. Does it happen if any burner is on, or just certain ones?

Mythbusters
Old 10/23/2007, 08:45 AM
I'm accident prone

We are only wannabe chefs so we can't "cook multitask" yet. Usually only 2 burners are going at a time, but when 2 are on that top gets smoking hot.
Old 10/23/2007, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

smoking hot, not normal!
Old 10/23/2007, 09:00 AM
I'm accident prone

I didn't think so. My clutzy wife burns herself all the time on it. I'm hoping they can't fix it so they will get us a new one. We will be renovating the kitchen pretty soon and new appliances are definitely on the list.
Old 10/23/2007, 09:16 AM
Moved In

To the point of burning yourself is not normal, I've seen some stoves get pretty warm tho.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 10/23/2007, 11:27 AM
Where's My Jell-O?

I don't think it's normal at all, either, but I'll double check tonight! Do you think hubby will touch the stove top for me?

I would also make a quick list of anything else your questioning if they charge you every time they come over to look at something, or at least start a running list the next time you notice something that is covered under the warranty.

Melting!
Old 10/23/2007, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Trust me the home warranty folks will do anything and everything to avoid replacing the stove. It is not uncommon for the surface of the stove to get a little warm, but it should not get hot enough to burn you (except possibly right next to the element but not the whole surface.)
Old 10/23/2007, 03:04 PM
I'm accident prone

This is just stupid! The repair guy just left. Nothing was wrong with the stove. The burner pans are black which hold in all of the heat and spread it onto the stove top. That seems a little obvious, but since it is how the stove came I guess I figured that the folks at Whirlpool would know what they were doing. He recommended buying the tin foil inserts to radiate the heat up instead of into the black pan and radiating outwards. There goes $60 and an entire day working at the house! Oh, my supervisor just called me and needs me to run to the office (45 min away) to print something for a meeting he is going to tomorrow. Wonderful day this has turned out to be...
Old 10/23/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

I WANT A SECOND OPINION!! really, that explanation sounds like he's blowing smoke up your butt. if that stove top is hot enough to BURN your wife, that ain't right. what if a child pulls a chair over and climbs up there just for the fun of it?
Old 10/23/2007, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Nina has a point.
Old 10/23/2007, 04:28 PM
Moved On

The only time my stove gets hot between the burners is if the oven itself is on. I have a smooth top range, and can touch between the burners and not get burned. HOWEVER, if the oven is on, it gets hot enough I don't want to leave my hand sitting there, but doesn't burn in a quick touch....I agree, get a second opinion!!!