Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12/28/2004, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

new clam tank project

I’ve been working on this tank for about 3 months from design to having it built. It is an edgeless tank with water flowing around all 4 sides. The top (main) tank is 24x24 x 10, and the bottom (over flow) tank is 29x29x3. The top tank has one ¾ inch bulkhead for the return and the bottom has two-¾ inch for the return. The tank was over built out of ½ inch acrylic routed and polished on the top edge so the water would flow over with out any resistance. The top tank is elevated off the bottom tank 1 inch and is supported by the bracing u see in the pictures. The bottom tank is also routed and polished of all sharp edges to give it a smooth look. Currently the return pump is a mag-drive 5 with a ball valve to control flow. Even with the valve open all the way, the return flow still handles the output of the return pump. It is a tad bit loud so I run it at about 60% flow. It is plumbed into my main display tank fuge and should help with filtration. The stand is a cabinet I picked up from Lowe’s made from oak. I had to cut the draw part to compensate for the return and drain lines. But I still wanted to use the draw so I shorted it about half the length of the original. The tank was design to be viewed top down or from side in just by adjusting the return ball valve. I currently have not set up the lights but will have them up after the first of the year. Lighting plans are a 250-watt MH 14k and 2 75 watt VHO hung from the ceiling. Comments welcomed.