Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/25/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Thoughts on Tunze Osmolator?

195 is fairly steep for an auto-top off, but I got a DOC 9010 the other day and really like it so I'm hoping the quality on the Osmolator is just as good. I know some people have problems with the top off's getting stuck with the float switches and all and since the Tunze uses optics it would be a problem for it. I want to get something reliable plus an all in one kit that's fairly simple and easy to install.

Any thoughts on it or expericence? Also it says it comes with metering pump, so that's the pump that pushes the top off water?

Thansk
Old 12/25/2007, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

Mine has been reliable. The only time I have problems is when I let the topoff container run dry. After 3 years, I finally had to replace the original pump, but they are only about $20, so it is not painful. I would choose the Osmolator again.
Old 12/25/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

Tunze are always a great investment for your tank. I hook mine up about 3 months ago and it is just so easy to use and error proof.
Old 12/25/2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Good deal. I may go pick one up tommorrow at my LFS.

Thanks!
Old 12/25/2007, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

The Osmolator is the way to go. Mine was missing a part and Roger sent the missing piece right away with no questions asked. Great products and customer service. Tunze is top notch.
Old 12/25/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Would never own a tank without mine. It makes topoff so much easier.

I have used other topoffs and ended up with water on the floors. Never Ever had an issue since I bought the Osmolator
Old 12/25/2007, 02:11 PM
clownfish fan

best ATO period, by a mile.
Old 12/25/2007, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

yep they rock, I have 2 tanks and they are on both...
Old 12/25/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

the best out there. Highly recommend it.
Old 12/25/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Can someone tell me how they have their osmolator installed? Does the pump always run until the safety sensor shuts it off? I just installed mine today. I thought the operating sensor monitored the water level and turned the pump both on and off and the safety sensor was only used as a backup?

Is this correct?
Old 12/25/2007, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

The float switch is just a back up and should never trip unless the sump level has risen far above the optic sensor and trips the float switch. Is there an issue with yours?

The pump, IIRC, will pump for an interval of some minutes before taking a "rest" and then will start pumping again if the sump level is still not up to the optic sensor.
Old 12/26/2007, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

I liked mine but found the pump pretty noisy
Old 12/26/2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

research peristalic pumps/refurbished medical pumps---if the osmolator is not a peristalic pump(i know nothing about it) then I wouldn't consider it

if they are still around:

reefdosingpumps.com
innovativeaquatics.com
Old 12/26/2007, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

I love my Osmolator, would not use anything else. It has worked flawlessly. I added the Tunze Kalk dispenser to it, a nice simple add on.

Just a couple things though... the 7g Tunze bucket should be ok for a 125g, but any tank larger than 150g should use something larger as a reservoir.

2nd... make sure the top off hose drips into the sump to prevent a back siphon. Eventhough Tunze includes a check valve I would never trust these in general.
Old 12/26/2007, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

It isn't a peristaltic pump, but it works just fine.

Actually the top off hose should drip into the main tank to prevent siphon. If the water level in the reservoir is higher than the output tube, water will siphon out of the reservoir into the sump.

The hose should also never be submerged because it will back siphon into the reservoir.
Old 12/26/2007, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Serioussnaps
research peristalic pumps/refurbished medical pumps---if the osmolator is not a peristalic pump(i know nothing about it) then I wouldn't consider it

if they are still around:

reefdosingpumps.com
innovativeaquatics.com
The osmolator is a DC powered sump pump. just a tiny one that feeds water through a airline sized hose. The osmolator doses approx 8 oz of water each cycle. Trust me, everyone I have ever known wh would recomend a peristalic pump over a Tunze, has never owned a Tunze.

A while ago a buddy of mine (Yiniger on RC). wanted a top-off. I recomended the Tunze, another reefer told him no way, get a perostalic pump from reefdosingpumps.com. He purchased the peristalic pump. Ask him what he thinks. BTW, he now owns a Tunze.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 12/26/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

I use the Tunze with my peristalic pump. The tunze pump could not keep up with my evaporation
Old 12/26/2007, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy D
I use the Tunze with my peristalic pump. The tunze pump could not keep up with my evaporation
What??? My Osmolator has no problems keeping my 180g + 75g sump at the correct level. Even in the middle of summer with the MHs on.

The optical sensor is extremely acurate. Much better than a float switch.
Old 12/26/2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reef_doug
What??? My Osmolator has no problems keeping my 180g + 75g sump at the correct level. Even in the middle of summer with the MHs on.

The optical sensor is extremely acurate. Much better than a float switch.
I would think there was a pump problem. Even at 6ft it should put out close to 7gph which is plenty for most tanks and more than most peri pumps.

Don
Old 12/26/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

i love my osmolator, but honestly speaking i think it is over priced.
if the pump is $22.32 to replace, and assuming the back up float switch costs around $5 and the black plastic mounting brackets around $10 total, that is a $157 optical sensor we are talking about that isn't 100% fail safe. (but better than anything else out in the market)
Old 12/26/2007, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

I love mine never have to think about, best purchase for the tank hands down. Only downsides is if it runs dry I have to shake the pump once I refill the resevoir.
Old 12/26/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ezcompany
i love my osmolator, but honestly speaking i think it is over priced.
if the pump is $22.32 to replace, and assuming the back up float switch costs around $5 and the black plastic mounting brackets around $10 total, that is a $157 optical sensor we are talking about that isn't 100% fail safe. (but better than anything else out in the market)
A typical optical sensor will run you around $80 this assumes you could find one in that price range that will run vertical most will not, combine that with the $20 pump, float all brackets, power adapter and electronic controller. $200 isnt a big price to pay for something pnp. I doubt anyone could save more than $10 duplicating the tunze diy.
Been there done that. Its pretty hard to beat, the tunze.

Don
Old 12/27/2007, 02:49 AM
Registered Member

I thought mine was messing up (and not shutting off) but turns out my resevoir was higher than my sump and it siphoned the res into the sump. My fault.

On a second unit I just installed I noticed the flow was quite slow. Turns out there was some deformation in the hose that restricted it. Snipped off an end and it was fine. I can't imagine it not kepping up with any topoff needs as long as the resevoir is big enough.

The pumps is a little noisy, but it's not like it's running all the time so it's no big deal to me. I like them, I have two setup.
Old 12/27/2007, 03:15 AM
Registered Member

I also own a osmolator & i think it is one of the best piece of equipment i have bought for my setup. Yes you can go out & buy a cheaper top off but in my opinion you get what you pay for. alot of heads out there are happy with their ATOs but when they spend on the Osmolator they have nothing but good words about this product.
Old 12/27/2007, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

They're better than the Deltec and AM autotopups, and you don't hear of many problems. I like mine. The price is what it is.... the parts are OK, it has markup of course as someone else does the work and the dollar rate hurts you right now. It wold be easier for me towork another hour to buy one than faff around trying to make one.