Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/20/2007, 03:48 PM
Its a Travashamockery

"Power. Abuse it or lose it.." BrianD
Old 08/20/2007, 05:20 PM
Did I do that?

Quote:
Originally posted by SBGRAD24
Ahh yes, the time when people actually took responsibility for their own actions. These days it's always everyone else's fault, the music made me do it, the tv made me do it, etc...
Yeah, and when did common sense become so uncommon. Why are there so many warning labels on everything? Oh, it's because some Darwin candidate would have to sue the company for millions due to his own ignorance.
Old 08/20/2007, 05:26 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
How did we survive?
The REALITY is that a great many did NOT survive. How soon we forget our class mates that died as we were growing up.

As evidence I point to the infant mortality rate which has dramatically drop, the defeat of Polio, unprecendent increase in life expectancies, and a 90% reduction in SIDS cases.

In truth, if I had been born 20 years earlier I would have been QUITE unlikely to survive to my current age because of the severeness of my diabetes.

If my nephew had been born 10 years earlier, he would have had a 10% chance of surviving his premature birth. Instead he had an 80% chance and came through wonderfully.

Instead of asking HOW we survived, perhaps you should ask WHY we survived when so many others died.
Old 08/21/2007, 06:33 AM
Seamonkey on my back

or we could just accept the fact that we didn't die, that people still die by the thousands everyday, and life goes on for the living.

skip the blue pill and double up on the red ones Mr. sunshine...

Rick
Old 08/21/2007, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

"My cousin's and I used to find pop bottles and turn them in to get a few dollars to buy bottle rockets and a pack of cigarettes. We would then proceed to have a bottle rocket fight in the street. You would lite the bottle rocket and throw it at each other about 50 ft or so apart. Man those things would wiz by and sometimes hit somebody and explode on their chest. And Black Cat fire crackers. We used to throw those at each other too. But they were short range weapons.

Wonder nobody lost an eye or got hurt. "

hahaha, i still do that lol
Old 08/21/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

playing king of the hill on a pile of cinder blocks, after losing seeing my mom stich me up at home.
Old 08/21/2007, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

I can honestly say I never knew someone who died when I was a kid. Fell off the slide at school and broke an arm, jumped off the swings and broke an ankle, knew several of those but no deaths.
I EARNED my hairbrush (not the belt, that was the neighbor) when I tried reverse psychology at about 5. "Dad you know you could hurt your wrist spanking me?" "Your right son, go get your mom's hairbrush out of the bathroom."
I remember NEIGHBORHOOD wide games of tag, even in the grumpy old folks yard (just had to be quick).
Jumping yor BMX off driveway curbs.
Chores weren't optional.
Getting up by 9 and going to bed when my dad said it was bedtime, week day or weekend.

Most importantly learning that "Life is not fair, get used to it."

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 08/21/2007, 01:01 PM
Moved In

Gee you had to go back 5 years to get a page away from Carrie

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 08/21/2007, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
Gee you had to go back 5 years to get a page away from Carrie
Yeah, but what a great thread to resurrect.

I did most of that stuff

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 08/21/2007, 02:37 PM
Official Bear of the Reef

I spent my childhood inside watching TV and Disney movies.
Old 08/21/2007, 11:58 PM
Team RC Member

Yep, we used to play chase in the fog from the DDT trucks trying to off the mosquitos in my home town.

Ripped my coat on a nail stealilng fruit from an orchard. It was green and we had bad bellyaches.

Used to peel hot tar out of the street and use it for chewing gum, when we were broke.

Used to collect old thermometers and break them to get the mercury to play with: it made neat beads.

Used to use merthiolate and mercurichrome [mercury] to doctor wounds: it's still the best thing on a hangnail, to stop the pain.

Used to live next to a firing range: show and tell at my school was a nervous sort of time, and more than once we were told to file quietly from the room while they called the bomb squad for someone's war souvenir. Unfortunately I lost a couple of my classmates when they tried to recover one out of the ground. And another when she tried to walk home over a flooded section of road. Those old rubber boots were a hazard in high water.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.