Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/21/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

snail question

i found some snails today that i can seem to ID they are about 1" and have a shell that is pink and white and black in a kind of checkerboard pattern. does anyone know what they might be and are the reef safe?
Old 07/22/2007, 07:31 AM
Seamonkey on my back

could be 'bleeding tooth' nerite snails. did you find them near/at the tide line on a concrete wall/ rocks?

Rick
Old 07/22/2007, 12:09 PM
Friend to Vallonia

They sound like they could be sundial snails. Pics of various snails, and info, here: http://melevsreef.com/id/snails.html
Old 07/22/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RicksReefs
could be 'bleeding tooth' nerite snails. did you find them near/at the tide line on a concrete wall/ rocks?
yeah they are always on the see wall at our place in the florida keys. do you know if they are reef safe? i was thinking about grabing a few when i go back down on tuesday
Old 07/22/2007, 08:54 PM
Seamonkey on my back

yup, great algae munchers and totally reef safe. the black and black and white ones are better, they don't crawl out of the tank as much as the bleeding tooth variety, but they all will on occasion. even if you find them outside the tank days later, toss them back in, they'll usually come back to life. wipe away any snail trails leading out of the tank, as they'll follow it back out again.

Rick