Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Philadelphia Area Reef Club (PARC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/08/2005, 09:39 PM
Delaware Valley Reef Club

need a surface skimmer DIY....

well i got this CPR aquafuge, but now my surface is starting to skim over. on my old AC300 fuge i had the surface skimmer attachment and that did a good job of keeping the surface clean. I need to add something to my cpr to skim the surface any ideas?
PS... should i keep the rio 200 or switch it out with a MJ 404 or beckett M60?

Prop&Save!
...Sure don't know what I'm going for, but I'm gonna go for it for sure...
Old 06/09/2005, 04:55 AM

How deep does the fuge pump sit i your tank? You could just use a small slotted box. Either build it out of acrylic or modify something that is already a good shape and size. Or you could run a piece of tubing up towards the surface from the intake of the pump.
Old 06/09/2005, 06:06 AM

it is an external fuge. it has a pump in the tank that pumps via tubing into the fuge...

Prop&Save!
Old 06/09/2005, 08:05 AM

Yeah I understand what you have. What you are trying to do is pull water as close to the surface as you can. The easiest way would be to slide some sort of acrylic or plastic box around the pump...the box would only have one open end...at the top. So you would have to slide it underneath the pump and attach it some how. Then cut a few slots in the top of the box...you want them right at the surface at the water...maybe a little lower to compensate for some evaporation. Like this:

Or you could just run a piece of tubing up towards the surface. Most likely you would have to 90 it so you could go straight up to the surface. Personally...I like the box idea better. And if you go to one of those Bed Bath Beyond places or similar, they always seem to have a ton of different acrylic boxes and stuff. Or just build your own. It doesnt have to be perfect. All you want to do is pull water from the top.

HTH
billpa
Old 06/09/2005, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

I am glad you brought this up Minibowmatt, as I have considered this fuge for my system. billpa's suggestion sounds like a good one. How large a box do you think it would require, and how would you attach it to the tank?

Kevin
36"Orbit PC 2 x 96
100 lb Indo-Pacific LS / 60 lb Fiji
Old 06/09/2005, 10:23 AM

Sting Ray

The box can be pretty small...just enough to cover the pump and give it breathing room. You could probably attach it to the lip of your tank or you could run a tiny cross brace inside of the box (two would be better) that would rest on the pump. There are a ton of ways to get it to stay put. Im sure if you are building it out of scrap acrylic...you could make the box pretty tight on the pump with just an 1/8" of room on the sides (not the side that has the input)...tap a hole or two and thread a couple of nylon screws that would push the pump against the box and hold it in place. This is what they use on the Remora preskimmers.

HTH
billpa
Old 06/09/2005, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

OK, I run the Aqua C Remora w/ skimmer box on my 29 gal. and I still have a lot of surface film. Would it not be better to have a larger skimmer box? What about using attaching it directly to the tank. Kind of like the new All-Glass tanks that have a built in overflows?

Kevin
36"Orbit PC 2 x 96
100 lb Indo-Pacific LS / 60 lb Fiji
Old 06/09/2005, 11:24 AM

Yeah...IMO preskimmers arent going to make the surface perfectly clear because of the lack of space. Meaning...the bigger...probably the better. Its also tough with something like a HOB fuge...because you are pulling a weak amount of water in. But it is still beneficial in that you will be extracting the top portion of your water column to run through your fuge. If you are having surface scum problems, I would redirect a PH or even get another one dedicated to keeping the suface moving. You dont want to break it up though with ripples. That kind of defeats the purpose of a surface skimmer. You want the organics that tend to float up to the top of our water to be sucked into the fuge for natural filtration.

Yes you could just attach it to your tank.
Old 06/09/2005, 11:48 AM
Reef Pimp

The problem with these skimmer boxes is that they take water right where the slots are cut and meet the body of the box. If you have just a little too much water then the top film on the water is not touched. I have an AquaC Remora and a CPR Aquafuge (medium) I have a pre-skimmer box for both but only use the one for the AquaC. You almost have to "starve" the skimmer box and not keep the water level so high so that the skimmer box "cut outs" are right at the water line. It's not fun to keep the water line so constant when you evaporate a gallon or so a day! Matt if you think the skimmer box that I have that came with the Aquafuge will fit yours...you can have it!
Old 06/09/2005, 12:19 PM
Premium Member

If the tank is small and you are limited for space you could try just using a strainer and an elbow to skim the surface, I've seen it done several times, I doubt it's as efficient as the box method but it may be sufficient.

Giancarlo
Old 06/09/2005, 12:43 PM

Yeah I agree with Stix...you really have to make it close or you're not going to pull the very surface. Giancarlo's diagram is the second option I was trying to explain. Perhaps not as efficient at cleaning the surface area but should do the job in getting some of the surface water into your fuge where it can be naturally filtered.

billpa
Old 06/09/2005, 12:45 PM
Reef Pimp

I am in a constant battle with my water line and the skimmer box! When I get it just right it's amazing how much more skimmate gets pulled from the water.
Old 06/09/2005, 09:46 PM
PARC Member & Reef Monkey

I am having the same problem with my Mega Flows. If the water level isn't perfect, I start to get film. I am hoping the new skimmer will help.
Old 06/11/2005, 05:20 PM

Wow! BillPa-- I totally see what you meant.. thats a good idea. I Alos like Giancarlos too. I think that with my nano, something small like Giancarlos would work well. I actually am goint to try too hook up the surface skimmer from my Aquaclear first, that was doing a great job before i changed fuge's. When i get back in town, I will hook something up and let you all know. Thanx for the ideas, I now have a place to start at!

Prop&Save!
Old 06/17/2005, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gpodio
If the tank is small and you are limited for space you could try just using a strainer and an elbow to skim the surface, I've seen it done several times, I doubt it's as efficient as the box method but it may be sufficient.

Giancarlo
well This is sort of what i did. I DIY'd my existing AC surface skimmer, and hooked it to a AC100 PH. I dont think i am getting noght flow though. I added a MJ 400 for added flow. can there be too little flow through my HOB refugium?

Prop&Save!