Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment

Old 01/06/2008, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

heavy breathing -no signs of infection what could it be?

Gill Flukes ???? they scratch once in a while too....if it was bacterial i suspect the fish would be gone by now because it has been going on about 7 days......any thoughts?
fish have been in 1.010 sg for about 3 weeks ...
Old 01/06/2008, 01:29 PM
Premium Member

What are you measuring sg with? Need something very accurate if you are attempting Hypo. If sg and all other parameters are OK. Then do a FW dip. Do it in a clear container and check for "dust" or "jelly" like creatures. If you see dust then they have velvet. Jelly like things means they have flukes. Neither of which are treatable with hypo. Copper kills velvet and Prazipro works on flukes. Copper does not work on flukes.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:39 PM
Team RC Member

flukes maybe. Ich in the gills maybe. Can you possibly lay fish out very briefly on non-grippy surface and get a strongly magnified look into the gill? Rough on the fish, but if you spot a jellylike thing it's a fluke and if you can't see anything it still could be ich...or velvet. Hard call. But if you can eliminate flukes as a possibility, you can treat with copper, which would get either velvet or ich. If you can't do that, I'd still just about bet on copper, because two things that are possibly wrong outnumber the one other thing it could be, and it would be a better shot at curing two possibilities with one treatment.
NOTE: There have been flukes turning up in CA. You don't say where you are.
CAUTION: you cannot combine treatments. You must slowly bring the fish out of hypo, like an acclimation, before attempting copper. And it must be done without carbon in the filter: the black side of those little filter packets is carbon.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/06/2008, 03:19 PM
10 & Over Club

Flukes in a FW dip will turn opaque and fall off, making the dip container look like a snow globe if there are a lot of them. They can be quite common in fish from some wholesalers. If it is velvet, copper can be used during hypo with one caveat. You must raise the alkalinity to normal SW values. Hypo dilutes out not only the salt, but the buffer system and therefore lowers the alkalinity. Copper is more toxic at low alkalinity, therefore the problem with using it during hypo if you don't check and adjust the alkalinity to NSW values.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 01/07/2008, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

what about seachem paraguard will it work on the flukes?
Old 01/07/2008, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Before treating, are you sure it is flukes?
Occasionally, labored breathing can be from other things, as billsreef suggested.
I'm seeing that the tank is undergoing hypo...is it a QT? check your parameters, including ammonia.
Old 01/08/2008, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

ammonia =0 nitrite=0 nitrate=10ppm

i suspect a secondary bacterial due to the damage of the flukes...
Old 01/08/2008, 08:41 AM
Premium Member

Do the FW dip. That will tell you for sure if you have flukes. I've never used Seachem's Paraguard for flukes. Prazipro works so well I haven't experimented with others.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

STUPID QUESTION BUT DID YOU CHECK O2
Old 01/09/2008, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

no way for me to check 02...no such thing as a stupid question with me,kzickovich....all help/ideas appreciated...

large angels-can prazipro be used in the display tank without wiping out the biofilter?? (reef safe)
Old 01/10/2008, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

I wouldn't worry about the Prazipro wiping out the bio, but I'm not 100% sure about Reef Safe. Some people have reported of using Prazipro in Reefs with no issues. But I haven't tried it.