Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2004, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

I placed it on top of a rock, closer to the light, just in case.
I guess I'll just leave it and see if it survives and grows.
If it is a giant clam type, how fast do they grow? I imagine several years before its even a couple inches?
Old 01/10/2004, 10:28 PM
Lazy reefer

I count up to 8+ ridges on the shell. Maxima have maximum of about 5 or 6 and not as sharp point as show on the shell.
Minh
Old 01/10/2004, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Minh what's your problem? Unless you're a gifted scientist who can tell what species that is just from a small pic, (and not many scientists would even speculate with out firsthand examination) leave the guy alone and quit knocking his hopes down. It looks like a maxima, and might very well be. Only time will tell.
Old 01/10/2004, 10:44 PM
Crap Under User Name

Quote:
Originally posted by spfmatt
Minh what's your problem? Unless you're a gifted scientist who can tell what species that is just from a small pic, (and not many scientists would even speculate with out firsthand examination) leave the guy alone and quit knocking his hopes down. It looks like a maxima, and might very well be. Only time will tell.
Umm... Minh is a very well respected member of this and almost all other online BB's. He has a lot of experience and knowledge. As Minh stated, Tridacna clams can be identified is by the number, shape and symmetry of the ridges. In fact, those are basically the only way, other than DNA testing.

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 01/10/2004, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

And he can tell all of this from one very small clam, from one very small picture? I doubt it.
Old 01/10/2004, 10:48 PM
Crap Under User Name

The pic is very clear. I counted at least 7 ridges, could very clearly see that they are "sharp" and very symmetrical.

So, yes, I'm pretty sure he could....

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 01/10/2004, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

OK so it may not be a Tridacna. It does have more than 5 ridges. But it definitely has little green spots where a mantle would be growing. I have seen pictures of Crocea types with 6 ridges. Is that a possiblity?
Anyway, regardless, I still think its interesting. (more so then another snail).
Any idea what the growth rate is? (that is if it is a giant clam type)
Old 01/10/2004, 11:01 PM
Lazy reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by spfmatt
Minh what's your problem.....It looks like a maxima, and might very well be. Only time will tell.
I was trying to get him not to kill the snail. i guess i am too late.
No, that is not a Tridacna clam. You got to realize that there are thousands of species of clams, only 7 or so are photosynthetic.
A clam that growing on a shell of a mobile snail is not a Tridacna clam.
Sorry if you are irritated, but what I wrote is not wrong.
Minh
Old 01/10/2004, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

I'm not irritated. I appreciate the help. This is all new to me.
Old 01/11/2004, 01:43 AM
The Notorious Reefer

Looks like a hippopus to me.

-The new and improved Lebowski 29 tank, (Oh man, it's so close to being accomplished! It will blow your minds!)-

-Boogie on Raggae Woman-
Old 01/11/2004, 02:41 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

I am counting at the very most 6 folds in the shell and what looks like blue or green colored zooxanthellae in the mantle. I would agree that it seems to be a hippopus as well. I am not an expert though and would like to see a better close up and also see it in a few months or a year to tell. Looks like a Tridacnid to me though. Freed
Old 01/11/2004, 06:07 AM
Aussie moderator

I'm with Minh on this one, that is definitely not a Tridacnid clam. The shape of the shell ridges is a dead giveaway.

Quote:
...and what looks like blue or green colored zooxanthellae in the mantle.
Zooxanthellae is not blue or green, it is a golden brown colour. Colours in photosynthetic animals are produced by the animal itself. These pigments are in some cases no different to pigments produced by non-photosynthetic animals. The red of a flame scallop, the green in some mussels and some colours in tridacnid clams are all simply tissue pigments.
Old 01/11/2004, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

I vote Hippopus

The clam my very well not be a tridacna clam.The green mantle and shell ridges do match Hippopus hippopus. Cool!
Old 01/11/2004, 12:57 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Please do a google search for "zooxanthellae colors" and you will notice that more articles state that zooxanthellae (most notably green, blue, red, yellow and orange) are responsible for the bright colors found in corals, sponges and clams. I am only passing on what I have known from past experience and what I read after doing a google search. I am not saying you are wrong but only backing up what I say with articles and facts. You may still be partly correct, though. Freed
Old 01/11/2004, 03:51 PM
The Notorious Reefer

I think that you should get that clam off the shell somehow if possible, or just get the hermit into a new shell so that the clam stays put in one area, you may get a chance to see the mantle ( if indeed it is a tridacnid ) open up.. However if it's a Hippopus as I'm voting on, it may not open up much more...

-The new and improved Lebowski 29 tank, (Oh man, it's so close to being accomplished! It will blow your minds!)-

-Boogie on Raggae Woman-
Old 01/11/2004, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

I did kill the snail. The shell is now on top of a rock, closer to the light. So if it is a tridacnid that should help, if it is not, it wont matter.
Old 01/12/2004, 01:08 PM
The Notorious Reefer

Poor snail *sniffle

But hey, if that clam is indeed a tridacnid, it would be killer for it to grow out from such a small size in your tank!

-Boogie on Raggae Woman-
Old 01/12/2004, 01:21 PM
Premium Member

I say hippopus
Old 01/12/2004, 02:20 PM
(-(-_(-_-)_-)-)

I vote that its a little clam! yea too little to tell from the pics...
Old 01/20/2004, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

For Freed and MarkS

Sorry for not replying sooner, I'm not yet in the habit of checking my PM.

I counted 7 ridges. The "mantle" (if it is a mantle for what it is) is kinda white ish with green specks.
I think Minh is right, it is not a tridacnid calm.
Old 01/20/2004, 06:13 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Green specks sounds like zooxanthellae to me though. Give it a few months to see if it turns into the flower we are all hoping it will. Freed
Old 01/20/2004, 06:25 PM
Lazy reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed
Green specks sounds like zooxanthellae to me though. Give it a few months to see if it turns into the flower we are all hoping it will. Freed
Freed,
I think you got wrong information on a website that state that zooxanthellae are colorful. They are not colorful but is golden brown. The color of corals and clams are pigments that is not related to zooxanthellae at all. When the coral or clam bleached or lose their zooxanthellae they become whitish pastel color without the brown color. They still retain their pigment. This will eventually fade also, presume due to the coral or clam lack the energy to maintain these pigment.
Minh
Old 01/20/2004, 10:14 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

I did a google search and typed in "zooxanthellae colors". At least the first 7 or 8 entries stated that the colors of clams and corals are because of the colorful zooxanthellae in the tissue of the inverts. Please try this and you will see what I am going by. There are also a couple of entries that state what you have said as well but not nearly as many. Thanks, Freed
Old 01/20/2004, 10:28 PM
Lazy reefer

I think you should pay more attention to the source rather than the number. Anybody can put anything on the internet.
If you don't believe me, limited your search to the published scientific articles.
Minh
Old 01/21/2004, 10:54 PM
Carpet Surfer

The colors in corals are caused by proteins that the corals make to reflect light. They can use it to protect the zooxanthellae from too much light by keeping it between the light source and the zooxanthellae, or they can move it under the zooxanthellae to reflect light back up to it in low light situations.