Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/31/2007, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

DIY Valve Actuator? or Automated 3-way valve?

Has anybody made either their own valve actuator, or an automated 3-way valve before? I'd love to buy THIS VALVE for use on a closed loop, but the actuator (HERE) that is sold separately is too expensive for my budget.

Anybody done something like this before? All I want to do is cycle flow between two ports. I'd do an Oceans Motion, but I would really love the flexibility of adjusting the cycle time...
Old 10/31/2007, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

It has been done before and I'm sure links will be posted soon. I don't recall the web site It's a bit expensive, requires a lot of machining, it's an elaborate build, but it's REAL impressive looking.

I just tried to find the link again and no luck. Someone will post it
Old 11/01/2007, 02:32 AM
El Jefe de WRS

You might consider weatherson's alternative...
http://www.cvreefers.org/showthread.php?t=248

I have one of the Hayward 3-way valves and actuator... scored it off ebay for $30 a while ago. Still havent used it for anything... brand new though. The valve is very strong, and makes a loud 'whir' and 'pop.click' every time it rotates 90/180 degrees. So unless you have a basement sump-room or dedicated 'fish room' where noise isnt an issue, it may not be for you anyways. A continuous 1rpm motor like weatherson's design will be much quieter.
Old 11/01/2007, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback on that valve. Noise will be a concern in this one, that's good to know.

That was one hell of a build you linked. Way beyond my abilities! I am going to give this some thought though and see if I can incorporate some of his ideas into something easier to fabricate.
Old 11/01/2007, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

Just by an oceans motions and be done with it
Old 11/01/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

check the tank of the month - I think that he uses the hayward on his setup.

1-75g FW Planted
1-55g African Cichlid
1-125g w/ 4 turts
1-75g RR Reef
1-12g NC Mantis, 1-12g AP Brittle Star
2-cats
2-dogs (1 Catahoula Leopard Mix & 1 Shepherd Mix)
Old 11/01/2007, 03:36 PM
Premium Member

Looks like you need access to a full machine shop to get anywhere near building Weathersons "device" . Looks mighty expensive too. Acrylic tubing ain't cheap. Ditto on the oceans motion.
Old 11/01/2007, 09:59 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Well, the only heavy machining that weatherson does is with the threaded blocks for the pipe connections. You dont need to do that though... there are simpler ways. The actual magnet/actuator/etc is just the volute/magnetic transfer system from an iwaki pump. So with the exception of a few parts that weatherson 'overdid' to make oh-so-slick, the unit would be pretty easy to build.
Old 11/01/2007, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

I've been wondering it something like this could be replicated with PVC, which would be a LOT easier for most people to work with. I think it's do-able... but I'd need to read that thread a few more times and do some serious looking around on USPlastic etc... Did do a little searching and found the motors on both ebay and at a manufacturer - Autotrol.
Old 11/02/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Had a brainstorm last night and started buying some of the stuff today. I really think this is a do-able project. Will probably take a few weeks before I have all the parts, and the time, to put something together and test it. Whether it works or not, I'll post my results back up here.
Old 11/03/2007, 05:43 AM
Registered Member

keep us up to date on the project , i'm interested in doing the same . I asked the question about 2 weeks ago and was directed to this, http://shop.solardirect.com/product_...roducts_id=221
Old 11/06/2007, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

found an actuator that may be of interest to you

http://swimmingpoolsetc.com/intermatic-valve.htm
Old 11/06/2007, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

That is a JANDY valve actuator and can be bolted directly to a 3 (or more) way hayward pool valve. Noisy, but certainly an option. They can be had on ebay for less than $100.
Old 11/06/2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
That is a JANDY valve actuator and can be bolted directly to a 3 (or more) way hayward pool valve. Noisy, but certainly an option. They can be had on ebay for less than $100.
Bean, are those actuators reliable. Would you trust one to shut down my return when the power went out.

Thanks
Don
Old 11/06/2007, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

They are fiarly stout gear motors with built in (adjustable) limit switches. I am not sure they would be "reliable" when compared to a hayward proces valve, but they are used on pools and spas every day. I would think they would be very reliable in a low duty cycle environment.
Old 11/06/2007, 10:29 AM
Premium Member

They are VERY reliable valves. Any Jandy product is a good product. Jandy is owned by Hayward by the way

We own a pool business and have been doing business with both companies for a long time.

It has to be possible to wire this things up on a timer to automate itself into rotation, I've been thinking of the same thing. It shouldn't be too hard at all...there are 3 wires, one turns it one way, the other the other way and I don't know what the other wire is for yet, I'll do some messing around and let you know.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 11/06/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JaredWaites
They are VERY reliable valves. Any Jandy product is a good product. Jandy is owned by Hayward by the way

We own a pool business and have been doing business with both companies for a long time.

It has to be possible to wire this things up on a timer to automate itself into rotation, I've been thinking of the same thing. It shouldn't be too hard at all...there are 3 wires, one turns it one way, the other the other way and I don't know what the other wire is for yet, I'll do some messing around and let you know.
Being 24vdc I would imagine one is 24vdc+ and the other two are just ground CW and CCW.
Are these jandy never lube valves positive closing valve or are they just diverter valves?

Don
Old 11/06/2007, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

They are diverter valves. The motors have enough torque to turn a ball valve though.
Old 11/06/2007, 06:16 PM
Premium Member

Well you can always take a regular 3 way jandy valve and automate it by taking the screws out of the top and positioning the actuator on the top.

Don I also think you may be right about how they work with the ground CW and CCW.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 11/06/2007, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

I figured out a way to build a 4 to 8 port oceans motions like device out of common PVC parts, a magnet and a motor, but once I added up all of the parts, it was more than the OM 4 port.

This is a case where I dont think you can beat the off-the-shelf item unless you have a mill & lathe at your disposal.

Stu
Old 11/06/2007, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

Yup the OMs are a great value.
Old 11/07/2007, 02:14 AM
Registered Member

i agree OM's are great products , but they dont suit the application i want to use the actuated 3 way ball valve for. I want to set up my flow from the closed loop pump so that the flow goes from left to right for 6 hours , then the valve switches and the flow goes from right to left for 6 hours then repeats
Old 11/07/2007, 03:27 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Then yes, an actuator like the hayward is what you want.
Old 11/07/2007, 09:43 AM
Premium Member

Yup and a 3 way pool valve will do what you want.
Old 11/07/2007, 07:42 PM
Ozone Sniffer

An OM and a timer will do what you want too. Paul is working on an indexing stop for the drum to make this easier.

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"