Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/29/2005, 12:27 AM
Fighting For Fish Freedom

proper steps to cycle humanely??

Hello, I am just setting up my first marine tank (reef), and Ive been reading and told alot of conflicting order to introduce my new inhabitants to my tank. I want to know the best order to introduce everything so nothing will have to deal with excessive levels of ammonia or nitrite. It will be a 38g soft coral reef with a 29g refugium.
The order I originally had planned on setting everything up was first 25lbs of live rock, 10 lbs of live sand, and the macroalgae and 5 lbs of live sand in the refugium along with dead sand in both. Also a few cocktail shrimp to get the ammonia started.
Then after a few weeks when the nitrites go all the way down I was going to add another 25lbs of live rock and 10lbs of live sand to the tank, and about 10 more lbs of live sand in the refugium along with some more macroalgae. (add more shrimp?)
Once again when nitrites come down i was going to add the cleanup crew and a small fish or 2. wait for cycle, add a coral or 2, wait for cycle, add fish or 2, ect till i have about 15" of small fish and a tank full of corals. (is that to much fish for a reef tank? to little?)
I have had people tell me to add all the rock and sand at once, add a "test" fish immediately (which I would never do, I fishless cycle all my freshwater tanks), and to add cleaners immediately. I just want to know once and for all the best way to allow everything to have a healthy life from day one in my aquarium.
Thanx alot in advance,
Steve
Old 03/29/2005, 04:05 AM
RC Staff
American

Put all the live rock, and live sand in at one time, forget the dead shrimp, live rock should give you enough ammonia to kick off a cycle. Monitor ammonia, and do water changes as necessary to keep levels from going through the roof.
After ammonia spikes, start monitoring nitrite. Once nitrite drops off to zero, you should be okay to add a clean up crew. I prefer a good mix of snails, and no hermits, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.
Clean up crew can be added if nitrates are elevated, as long as the reading is <20.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 03/29/2005, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

If pods show up is it a sign that the cycle is nearly completed?
Old 03/29/2005, 04:01 PM
RC Staff
American

Quote:
Originally posted by dannylao
If pods show up is it a sign that the cycle is nearly completed?
The answer to your question is maybe. You really should not count on that though. Get some reliable test kits (I prefer, and recommend Salifert) and monitor the cycle. You might get by looking for signs of life, and estimating water quality, but it's much better to know. The cost of a few test kits is nothing in comparison to the cost of killing off livestock.
Play it safe.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 03/30/2005, 12:25 AM
Fighting For Fish Freedom

Ok thanx, i already have my basic test kit, all i need to purchase is the reef tests like calcium ect. i will be sure to watch my nitrates closely before i add the cleanup, i will prob throw a nitrate sponge in just to be safe.