Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 02/25/2005, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

Oh My!!

Direct quote from an e-mail I recieved from LFS.

"JBJ has done it again. We now have the 6 gallon Nanacube* Yes, you can keep Nemo and Dori and all their friends in an environment that will not bust your budget.
Come by and take a look at this miniature tank system. It has Wally's approval."

So apparently keeping 12" fish in a 6 gallon aquarium is not frowned upon! And now more people can join the hobby with limited budgets to get all their little friends from an animated movie! Anybody else find this appalling? I read the entire e-mail and I don't see any sarcasm in it or anything, so what do you think?
Old 02/25/2005, 07:12 AM
Bu Saif...

Just sick to my stomech to hear that. Dori in 6G. That's horrible.
Old 02/25/2005, 10:39 AM
Not that way, minions!!

That is disgusting. I never was a fan of nanocubes to begin with, because most of the people I see buying them are walking out of a store with a tank, some salt, coral, and some fish that is going to get too big for their tank. One local lfs has even stopped carrying nanocubes after the owner decided that too many people were buying them and killing corals and anemones. He tried to tell customers that the only corals you should keep in a nanocube are lower-light, easy to care for corals, but then those customers go to a few other lfs and get told the exact opposite. So the knowledgable man's advice gets completely tossed out. Personally, when I see someone buying a nanocube, I ask them what they're planning on doing with the tank, and then give them a pro vs. con of their plans. I try to help them out in making the right decisions.
Old 02/25/2005, 04:38 PM
Moved On

nano

I would have thought people could see that tangs do not go in Nanos.....till last night when I heard a lady get mad 'cause the guy would NOT sell her a YT. He said "Your aq is not big enough...its only a 10gl Nano"......she stalked out and said I'll go elsewhere. The guy looked at me a said.."sad thing is someone will sell her the fish"......
Old 02/25/2005, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

reefcentral should give out an honorary award for LFS's that do things like that for "responsible reefkeeping"
Old 02/25/2005, 11:12 PM
Moved On

you are right...

Quote:
Originally posted by fat-tony
reefcentral should give out an honorary award for LFS's that do things like that for "responsible reefkeeping"
The folks I do business with are first rate and do not have to sell any one fish to someone just to make a sale. They know exactlly who the responsible people are and who are not. I have heard on more than one occasion the staff tell folks...if something was or was not for them or thier skill. the owners have been doing business together for almost 3 decades. They feel responsible for thier livestock and keep impeckable tanks.......never mind they have several hundred. they are privatlly owned....not a chain. My money is in constant danger when I'm near the place

Steve
Old 02/26/2005, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

Could you put plastic toys of nemo, dori and the rest of the gang that 6g nano. Then people would not have to worry about salitiy, water temp, lighting, ich, fish compatibility, and other problems of saltwater. You could even add toys to represent those three sharks without worrying if nemo would be eaten.
Old 02/27/2005, 12:09 AM
Moved On

$$$$

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Palacios
Could you put plastic toys of nemo, dori and the rest of the gang that 6g nano. Then people would not have to worry about salitiy, water temp, lighting, ich, fish compatibility, and other problems of saltwater. You could even add toys to represent those three sharks without worrying if nemo would be eaten.
Dan ...I would bet someone has and is raking in the $$$$$$
Old 02/28/2005, 01:35 AM
Feed Your Obsession

better yet run the tank with bleach not SW, then you wont have that unsightly algae growth...
Old 02/28/2005, 03:55 PM
Team RC Member

What kind of people would do that? They just want your money. Chances are is that the person who sent that e-mail out doesnt even have a fish tank and doesnt know anything about them.
Old 02/28/2005, 05:27 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Evanish
What kind of people would do that? They just want your money. Chances are is that the person who sent that e-mail out doesnt even have a fish tank and doesnt know anything about them.

Mr Evanish.....what are you doing out of the lounge....has BriannD or griss given you permission?
Do not assume the e-mail is not correct as we all here have seen worse. The $$$ speaks and folks who do not understand the difference....well thier money works like ours.
Old 03/07/2005, 04:29 AM
Ocean God

Never put it past someone to make a buck off of someone else's ignorance. To quote the late, great PT Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute"...
Old 03/07/2005, 07:40 AM
Moved On

Murphy

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmaniac1
Never put it past someone to make a buck off of someone else's ignorance. To quote the late, great PT Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute"...
The all wise Murphy...."It is morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep thier money"
Old 03/08/2005, 06:11 AM
Ocean God

Re: Murphy

Quote:
Originally posted by O'Coralman
The all wise Murphy...."It is morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep thier money"
Old 03/08/2005, 07:42 AM
Moved On

fools

"Never argue with a fool......stangers watching the both of you will get you and the fool mixed up"
Old 03/08/2005, 12:32 PM
Timmah!

A 12" fish in a 6G tank... kinda reminds me of this:

Old 03/13/2005, 11:13 PM
Moved On

Hang in there baby!
Old 03/19/2005, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

The Nemo movie reminds me of 101 Dalmatians. It is to bad, since many people don't do there research before they go out and buy the animals from the latest movie.

Thanks, Fzech