Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/19/2005, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

VHO or PC

I am currently designing a 46 Gallon Bowfront and was wondering what people where using for lighting. It will be a Corallimorph only tank so low to medium light creatures. I was looking at VHO or PC light tell me what yu all or doing for light with regards to VHO or PC which do you think are better?

Visit MAAST.org just click the "Red House"
Old 02/19/2005, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

I use VHO's. Simply because it is easier to move the aminals than to wish you had more light. I can almost bet that one day you will find that you will need more light. I think they are better anyway.
Old 02/19/2005, 01:10 PM
Professional Aquarist

It is probably a toss up in this instance, but I generally prefer VHO's over PC's because I find PC lamps to be easier to break and seem to vary significantly in quality by vendor. In contrast, you really can't go wrong with URI VHO's.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 02/19/2005, 01:11 PM
RC Staff
American

Of the two, I much prefer VHO, for the look. To me, PCs look "fake"
If you are looking into lighting for a new tank, don't bypass T-5 without at least giving them a good look. I don't use them myself, but have read nothing but good about them.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 02/19/2005, 01:45 PM
S. Gigantea junky

VHO IMO, is also what I would choose. Good luck. Look at T5 technology as well
Old 02/21/2005, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

I was thinking of going with the VHO but unsure if the 4X75w was too much or if i should go with the 3X75W. Both will fit in the DIY hood that I am building for it. I looked at the T-5's but I was a little concerned of the output of these ligts are they more thn the VHO so I could go with less of them. My plan was to go with two 10,000K and two super actnics or is there a different light configuration that I should look at. I have read that 1:1 sunlight to actinic was good. The two tanks that I have been pulling ideas from are Achies and Mucho's. Both are ric and zoo tanks.

Visit MAAST.org just click the "Red House"
Old 02/23/2005, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

I have never tried VHO and do not know the difference of those two in intesity. When I planned to get my lights, I wanted something that would keep the electricity cost down to a minimal level, something that is capable of sustaining corals (the idea of sps is great.. but im not experienced enough to keep those) and of course a device that is compact, beautifully and well designed, at a reasonable price. I ended choosing PC's. In fact I have a 72 x 7 x 2.5 coralife PC light device with 6 lunar LED's that add a magnificent complement to the aquarium view, specially at night. They contain two 96 w 10 k and two 96 w true actinic bulbs, separate cords for timers and cooling fans across the top surface. The LED's are on in the morning for a more natural day startup. Then, it comes the light from the outside, following the 10 k lights. The light is evenly distributed, leading to the obligatory arrangement of the live rock in order to create dark places to place those organisms that are less tolerant of light. I dont like the idea of hanging devices from my ceiling or having bulky stuff. This hobbie is full of contradictions, but remember to rely on the combination of people's advice and your taste or feelings.... then.. make a decision...
Old 03/24/2005, 02:52 PM
Ferret Maximus

i just set upo a diy 4 bulb vho set up- nice lites- my ballest runs 4 bulbs wish i had a seperate switch for the whites so i could just have actinics on at morn and eve- other than that they are cool
Old 03/24/2005, 03:00 PM
troublemaker

Just to throw a crazy idea out ... if you're going to DIY it, I'd mix VHO + T-5. Figure you can `tune' the color/etc a little more with different types of bulbs.

Personally, I just replaced the 2 x 55w PC actinic on my 58 [has 2 MH's as well] with VHO actinics [96w] and couldn't be happier with how much `better' things look. While I'd love a t-5 `blue' bulb [replace the pc blue/actinic look that is nice too] ... I'd go VHO over PC every day [white or actinic]. I just changed over one tank ... and am happy to be planning the other

But T-5's are a nice technology too, worth looking into. VHO, while without the `new' appeal of T-5's, have been a good standby for many reefers and would also fit.
Old 03/25/2005, 02:04 AM
She is a lover!!!

VHO......the bulbs are cheaper and last up to 18 months
Old 03/25/2005, 07:08 AM
Registered Member

I like my vho, got them from hello lights
Old 03/25/2005, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

pc from orbit are superior to vho

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 03/25/2005, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

I would go VHO on the basis of using URI branded bulbs. In terms of a night/day simulation - you could consider using PFO ballast that has dual switches to control the bulbs separately (1 switch controls up to 2 bulbs).

I have no experience with PCs.

As many have mentioned before - it totally comes down to preference. You'll also want to factor in how often you think you'll need to replace the bulbs.

p.s. this thread might have more views if you posted it on the lighting/filtration forum.

Good luck!
Old 03/25/2005, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

from what ive heard look in to t5 they also last up to 18 months and you have a ddifferant variety of colers to choose from
i am currently planning to take out my 2 65w pc attinics out of my canopy with 2 250w mh and possibly put 4 t5 bulbs does anybody have any imput on this
Old 03/25/2005, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by woowoodengy
from what ive heard look in to t5 they also last up to 18 months and you have a ddifferant variety of colers to choose from
i am currently planning to take out my 2 65w pc attinics out of my canopy with 2 250w mh and possibly put 4 t5 bulbs does anybody have any imput on this
There have been statements made (notably by Icecap) that t5s last significantly longer than VHOs.

That being said, a lot of people still feel the VHO actinics (again I'm going to plug the URI brand) are hands-down a superior light when compared with PCs or even T5s. With regards to coloration - not sure what you are referring to but I was under the impression the actinic color most desired was at the 420nm peak = 100% blue spectrum. For most tanks, folks choose a 100 daylight bulb combined with a 100% actinic bulb. Some may even favor blue a little more by swapping out a daylight with a 50/50 but again this comes down to preference. I don't think there is really "more choices" in terms of coloration. With your MH, you have your daylights and are adding actinics - which should be 100% blue right?

Am I missing the boat here on your question of colors? Sorry if my post isn't coming across as a question - i'm asking - not being rhetorical...
Old 03/27/2005, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

this is a quesstion that could go on on and on ! what needs to be taken into account is the animals and what they are and what they need . after that is ansered you can go from there. ive found my tanks end up healthier that way!!!