Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/18/2007, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

Rapid Tissue Necrosis

I had a major nitrate problem in my tank, we did 2 80% water change outs, trying to keep the water parameters as close as possible. We lost our huge plate coral, not sure if it was from the stress of the nitrates or the water changes, now I seem to be battling RTN., it was on my acros's did a lugols dip a couple of times, that really helped, now my red blasto., is showing signs of RTN. My question is:
Is this like a cold in the tank, is it setting off a change reaction?

Last edited by edandsandy; 11/18/2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11/20/2007, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

High nitrate is not a cold. Changeing more then 33% at anytime is very bad. You remove benificial bacteria and cause the tank to cycle and it could be major cycle or mini cycle.

Did you always use unfiltered tap water with your FO tank and figured it would work with a reef tank?

How much LR is there?
Any SB and how much?
Do you know all the readings from ammonia to phosphate?
Old 11/20/2007, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

I'm not asking if high nitrates causing a cold. I asking if RTN will spread to other corals.
We use RO/DI water.
Old 11/20/2007, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

mods,
Please delete this question.
Thanks
Old 11/20/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Its the amount and frequincy of water changes. Changeing to much to often can cause the tank to go thru mini cycles of major cycles depending on the amount. Slow down on the changes. Wait a few weeks and iff levels go down then start a 10% weekly untill level.
Theres no mod for changing to much water. Your removing to much benificial bacteria.
Old 11/21/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

Really? How much bacteria is in the water column? Wouldn't a small cycle be caused by different chemical levels between the water in the tank and the water it is changed with?
Old 11/26/2007, 07:15 PM
Catch and release

I would say changing more than 50% of tank volume at a time is typically a bad idea. It doesn't remove bacteria. That bacteria is present on live rock, sand if you have it etc..... The stressor with too large a water change is the parameters are typically different. Even when matched properly newly mixed seawater is more caustic than seasoned water. Water changes with water that has been mixed less than 24 hours can be especially stressful.
What was/is your nitrate reading? If you want to change the complete volume of water doing so 20% at a time over the course of a couple of weeks is pretty safe way to go IME. You don't get it all but you dilute it quite a bit.
RTN is a shutdown reaction exhibited by SPS. It can definitely spread from SPS to SPS (Acro to Acro is common) but I've never heard of it spreading from SPS to LPS as seems to be your case. I'm guessing you have stressed out the tank quite a bit from the water changes and that's what is causing problems across the board. Letting things calm down and trying to keep everything stable for the time being is definitely in order.

hth, Chris
Old 12/02/2007, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

Generally, I change no more than 20% of the total volume at a time, and I do that each week as a routine... sometimes a bit longer than a week... changing 80% at once is drastic... and as others have said, could cause a shock to the system, since trace element levels, calcium levels, and other factors are all important, much more than just pH...

Try less volume, more frequency... the bacteria is not being removed so much as chemistry is changing too rapidly...

Also, test your change water for Nitrates, Phosphates, and Silica... you could be adding trouble...

Just my 2 cents

Paul