Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 06/25/2007, 10:36 AM
Team RC Member

doctor64776 - Glad you found this thread, doc. I'll have more pics once the tank arrives and I can unpack all of the other goods.

jnarowe - Don't sell yourself short, you've got a ton of practical experience so please continue to give your comments. As Gabriel reiterated, the sump is indeed 3/4" acrylic. I considered a 1/2" thick sump initially, but due to the amount of equipment I plan to keep in there, I needed to go without bracing to provide more internal room, which is why I went with 3/4".

cbui - Yeah, I think Texas is becoming the rimless capital of the States. We're lucky to have AGE so close to us, and Kingfish here in Austin has a good business relationship with them, which makes acquiring these tanks a little easier. My office tank is also from AGE, and it's incredibly-well made, so I have no doubt that this rimless tank will be anything less than perfect. I can't wait for it to arrive.

As for your question about equipment, I could just provide a list, but I think I'll wait until I unpack it all, and I'll post photos instead of just a description. Reefers like pics, right?

gkarshens - Thanks a lot for the offer, we can surely use your help! The rules mandate that you tell me your favorite beer if you're going to be helping.

Now just where is that UPS guy?
Old 06/25/2007, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

Hi; great projetct.

maybe I`ve missed but how high is the stand?
Old 06/25/2007, 01:54 PM
Team RC Member

Hi Walter, the stand is 36" tall. Most people don't consider me to be tall. Well, to be quite frank, I'm pretty darn short. I wanted to be able to view the tank comfortably both standing and sitting, so that's how I came up with that height. The tank is 26" tall, so the total system height (not including the pendant) is 62" tall. That's just below my eye level, so I'll still be able to feed the tank and look down on the corals without standing on a chair. It's also an important issue since the Deltec AP851 is 30" tall, including the collection cup. Once you include the thickness of the starboard cabinet shelf at the bottom, the bottom layer of the 3/4" sump, and the thickness of the tube steel at the top and bottom of the stand, I'll probably only have around 2" of clearance to remove the skimmer's collection cup. It'll be tight, but it should be doable.
Old 06/25/2007, 03:05 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Saweeet!!! My tank is also 36" tall and my tank is 24" tall. Its totally a double edged sword - I love eye level but it sure makes it a little harder to get into. Although with a 5 year old - I sleep a little better at night.

On average, Texas certainly has the nicest tanks! And my favorite place to party!

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 06/25/2007, 04:33 PM
Team RC Member

Hey Fliger, glad you stopped by. I'm getting ready to check out your Elos thread. I love those systems - so clean.

p.s. Did you try out any of those restaurants in Austin that I recommended to you? And you still owe me the scoop on Bubble King skimmers
Old 06/25/2007, 04:42 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

dp - sorry!

Old 06/25/2007, 04:43 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

BK's - easily the best if you can drop the coin. But that doesn't mean you can't get a H&S or Deltec or Beckett to do as good of a job. I loved the dead silence and the footprint. The bubble size is unequaled. I also like the wedgepipe & the clear wetneck (?). I see you like great equipment, you should try one! But like I mentioned, if you go oversize with a Deltec, H&S or other high quality, you won't notice a difference.

Did I miss it - what are you doing for a light?

Oh yeah - you, naka, gmfett & vitko gave me great info. Trulucks crabcakes were insane. Kenichi ... stealing some design elements. I ate & drank all over the place, I could really live in your town! There was a great rooftop bar, I think it was called Six? Across from Trulucks. And some incredible Spanish place with kick arse Mojitos! Kenichi had a great Saki Mojito also! I can't wait to get back. I'm hungry now ...

Old 06/25/2007, 04:51 PM
Team RC Member

Glad you had fun in Austin -- how can't you, though? I think the food here is exceptional for this size city. Yep, Six is a great club, and like most places here, they often have very good live music.

For the light I'm holding out for the 10-bulb ATI PowerModul. I'm not sure if I'll have the fortitude to wait for it, though, so I'm also looking around for other options just in case. I prefer to stick with all T5's, but I could be talked into a MH/T5 combo if necessary. After just now reading your experience with your fixture, I'm a little worried about Sfiligoi.
Old 06/25/2007, 04:59 PM
Will work 4 corals

Young's Chocolate Stout. Or Guiness will do just fine.

So shoot me!
Old 06/25/2007, 05:10 PM
The only GreenMako

Can't wait to see this one!

tagging along

300Gal SPS tank
Old 06/25/2007, 05:18 PM

come on Gabriel, those are for weenies!
Old 06/25/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

just curious what was the cost of the tank im looking to go bigger and i have never seen a pvc bottom looks cool
Old 06/25/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Fliger,

The bar Six is Lance Armstrong's bar. Next time you're in Austin let us know ahead of time!

John
Old 06/25/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

great looking start so far good luck
Old 06/25/2007, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fliger
dp - sorry!
Man David, I live about 15 minutes from Austin, we could have painted the town Black and Silver lol

Dudester, let me know if you will be needing any more people for the tank move, Id be happy to help
Old 06/25/2007, 08:28 PM
Will work 4 corals

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
come on Gabriel, those are for weenies!
Yeah, but we don't get your 9% crazy, awesome beers here. You could ship us some Jolly Roger if you want!

So shoot me!
Old 06/25/2007, 08:30 PM

nothing under 10% in my fridge right now.
Old 06/25/2007, 08:54 PM
Will work 4 corals

That's ok. Ship that!

So shoot me!
Old 06/25/2007, 09:06 PM

you know I could...PM me.
Old 06/25/2007, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

Signing in on the new thread. Hot diggity, another build project. Just what I need to bring me out of the doldrums. Following along and hope to learn as much as I did on the old thread.
Old 06/25/2007, 10:59 PM
Team RC Member

I'm thrilled that there's so much interest out there in this tank already, and it's not even here yet.

makoj - Geez Brian, how did you find this thread? Please keep up with it and let me know if I'm screwing up.

bananaboat - I don't want to disclose the cost of the tank on this thread. Let's just say it wasn't cheap, but I'm sure it will be worth the price. I paid the price for this tank due to the fact that it's Starphire glass, it's rimless, and the guy who built it has NEVER had a tank leak, as far as he knows. I'll pay a lot of money for that kind of peace of mind in my home. And you're right ... the PVC bottom is cool!

thedude15810 - It's about time you chime in. For those out there who don't know, "thedude" is John, my boy and part owner of Kingfish, and he'll be the first one to know when my tank arrives. So, is it here yet?

tanya72806 - Glad you like what you see, and thanks for wishing me well.

cpreefguy - Thanks for the offer, we may just need you. But if you want to help, you know the rule ... name your poison?

bcoons - Hey, a blast from the past. Where've you been? I'm happy you're not out of the hobby. How's your tank doing anyway? We're both going to learn a lot on this one. Whereas the last one was fans, liquid additives, damsels and softies, this one's gonna be chillers, reactors exquisite wrasses and acros!
Old 06/25/2007, 11:34 PM
Premium Member

Sweet another rimless tank. Dudester this is going to be an awesome tank. Congrats
Old 06/26/2007, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
cpreefguy - Thanks for the offer, we may just need you. But if you want to help, you know the rule ... name your poison?

[/B]
White Russian
No, I dont drink, so save your money for that Powermodule (I can barely afford mine!)
Old 06/26/2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

I recently had my bathroom remodeled with natural travertine and can say with experience that it will most certainly crack under those leveling screws.
Old 06/26/2007, 10:47 AM
Team RC Member

NO1B4ME202 - I hope it turns out as nice as I've planned, and thanks.

cpreefguy - I always appreciate a nice Lebowski reference

boozeman - It's interesting about the travertine. We're actually in the design phase of building a new house, and we spoke with several interior designers about using travertine, since we're so happy with ours in our current home. Categorically they are surprised that our travertine is holding up so well, since it apparently has a reputation for cracking and staining. Perhaps ours is from Krypton or something, I don't know, but our house is 10 years old and there's a ton of it on the floor, and we've never had a problem. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, and thanks for your concern. Maybe I'll shield the screws as was suggested earlier just to be safe.