Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback

Old 06/30/2007, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

Please let us know what happened? If I were you. I would hit every available avenue
that you possibly can.

I was going to suggest calling your bank and having them charge back the money to
you. Also I would be giving his name to the US Postal service for mail fraud. Plus I
would contact the local police in his town or in your town and speak to their Internet
Crimes Division. The transaction was over the internet and once again its a fraud
issue. Thats two counts of fraud or attempt to commit fraud.

You could also file in small claims court against him too..

What Im wondering too...is if this guy really had to go out of the country. Why didnt
he email you to let you know he was going to be gone for awile and that the package
was shipped...and here is a tracking number. Hmmm probably cause he never really
sent it.

Let us know what happens.....
Old 06/30/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

who picked up the skimmer that was returned to him? it sat outside his house the whole time he was out of town? someone had to bring it in to his house and collect his mail. anyone with half a brain would have called him and said "you re package has return to sender on it what do you want me to do?".

This guy is a liar get you re money back, take him to small claims and call the police.
Old 07/01/2007, 05:15 AM
Premium Member

Acropooper any news on your plight?
Old 07/02/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

I have been busy with a few things, but I have Carman34L has not contacted me since June 21st.

He assured me via email that he was taking care of this problem as soon as he returned home.

I have tried calling him a few more times and left messages and it seems that his phone number has been disconnected.

Unbelievable.

Does anyone here know him? He seemed pretty active for a while here on RC. I found a couple of phone numbers with his last name in his town which I'm going to try calling to see if I can get in contact with his family as he told me the skimmer was shipped from his mother's store. I'm also going to try contacting that business he has linked on his profile here.

I'm going to call the local PD there on Thursday.

I want to try to reverse the charges with my debit card. Unfortunately, that's going to end my PayPal account, but it's worth 575 dollars to me. Can that affect my credit rating at all?

Any advice with this problem would be appreciated immensely, particularly from other people who've been in a similar situation.
Old 07/02/2007, 12:44 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

I don't think Paypal has anything to do with anyone's credit. And yeah you're being too easy on the guy at this point. Get a little tougher and push the PD to find him and put him in jail.
Old 07/03/2007, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Did you not read my post at the top of the page??? I have been through
something similar and I told you what to do.

First off...I would call the US postal service and report him for mail fraud.

Second, I would go to over to NY Police and speak to their Internet Crimes Division
and I would file charges against him. Im 100% positive NYPD has an Internet
Crimes Division.

Third I would file a small claim against him. It was through the Internet and im
sure you can file in Small Claims court in your city.

Fourth I would call your bank and have the money charged back. But its been so
long...Im not sure if they will do it now..You should have done that the min you
realized he was ripping you off.

You have wasted alot of time and you are letting this guy get away with ripping
you off! Trust me...Mail Fraud is a serious issue and this guy could be in alot of
trouble.

Hope this helps...
Old 07/03/2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

I called the phone number of the business link in his profile. I spoke to a women who sounded somewhat annoyed that the skimmer has been sitting by her desk there for the last three months, unboxed.

More details as this pans out.....
Old 07/04/2007, 07:27 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

And I assume you got the address from her and all the other details you need to send the cops his way?
Old 07/05/2007, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

very interesting Scott has not posted on our clubs site since April 10 2007.
any more info?
Old 07/06/2007, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

I believe you will get your skimmer.
Old 07/06/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed
And I assume you got the address from her and all the other details you need to send the cops his way?

with a phone number he can do a reverse lookup to find all that information if he needs to go that route.

FWIW, I have known Scott for a while now, and I would never have imagined he would intentionally screw someone over like this. Hopefully he is ok, and this is resolved soon. If not, I am sure you have all the info you need to track him down. This is a very sad situation for those of us in our local club, because Scott is a friend or aquaintance to many of us, and there has definitley been a wrong done to Acropooper. This type of behavior makes us all look bad, whether or not it was intentional, and in my heart I believe it was not intentional. Best of luck to you in your battle, and I hope that something works out that suits both parties.
Old 07/09/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

I don't want to put Scott's personal business out here on RC (I actually never even posted his name here until someone else did) but I'm no longer dealing with him. I've been talking with a woman who works at the business linked in his profile. I'm not sure of her relation to Scott, although I have an idea.

After speaking with her and informing her that I'm calling local law enforcement as well as filing Internet and mail fraud charges, I think that she got on his case.

I have a bit of an idea as to what has gone on with Scott, but again, I don't think it's my place to talk about his personal life here. Regardless, he has been dishonest, inconsiderate, and lazy in my interaction with him. If I had not called that number, I really don't think that I would've ever seen that skimmer without a lot of effort on my part trying to get law enforcement involved. Scott really just doesn't care about it.

I would never have any dealing with him again, and I certainly hope that anyone who considers any kind of transaction with him sees this thread. It is just so ludicrous that I have to deal with an intermediary just to try to wrangle out of Scott something that I bought fairly and honestly.

So, the status is that the skimmer is boxed up pending shipping. Am I dumb enough to believe this now, after more than three months? No - but I since I'm dealing with a new person on this issue, I'm going to try being civil at first because it's not her fault and she seems to be concerned about avoiding trouble for Scott. If I don't see a tracking number by Wednesday, I'm telling her I'm calling the local police department, which I have the number for, on Thursday.
Old 07/09/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oyam123
I believe you will get your skimmer.
I still believe!
Old 07/09/2007, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

oyam123, I still believed after two months. I no longer do. I would venture to guess that you're friends with Scott, but put yourself in my position. I think that my skepticism is well warranted as Scott has refused all contact with me for a while now and it is only by a stroke of luck that I know anything about the status of the skimmer.
Old 07/09/2007, 05:42 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Don't get your hopes up until the tracking number actually shows that the package was accepted and scanned in. People can call USPS or UPS and notify them that they want a package picked up BUT they can also not have a package ready or have it picked up even after they have been given a tracking number. So what can happen is you may get an email stating that either USPS or UPS has been notified of a pending package to be picked up. Hold off on the enthusiasm until you actually see the package as being accepted.
Old 07/09/2007, 08:42 PM
Registered Member.

Yup That has happen to me before. You can get a tracking number and may never get your skimmer.
Old 07/09/2007, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Believe me, I have no enthusiasm.

I will definitely follow your advice there and make sure that the package is accepted before I decide not to call the PD. And thank you for the advice, I'm glad people actually care.
Old 07/09/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

I think he meant that everyone in the club has now seen this so he is problye being presssured to do what is right. personal problems or not.
Old 07/11/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UN-Sizzlers
I think he meant that everyone in the club has now seen this so he is problye being presssured to do what is right. personal problems or not.
I hope so, but I honestly don't think that he really cares at this point.

I called the PD of his town and they told me that I have to file paperwork with the NYPD and get the NYPD to contact them before they can persue anything. I called the Minnesota PD after hours and I'm not confident that the woman knew what she was talking about, so I'm going to call back again to at least find out exactly what they need to act or if they will even act upon it at all.

I have very good NYPD connections so it won't be a problem on this end if that's all the local PD in his town is waiting for.

I also found online submittal forms for both mail and Internet fraud. I'm not sure how seriously my claims will be taken since $575 might be a relatively small amount comared to the sums others have had stolen, but I'm going to fill them out anyway. And yes, I do believe this money has been stolen at this point.

I have a recieved a generous offer from a local Minnesota reefer that I'm going to look into about picking up the skimmer and having it shipped. I'd rather pay another $75 for shipping than get nothing out of this at all. Scott can keep the extra $75 if someone else ships it for me. I'd be embarassed if I were him to do so, but unfortunatley it appears we don't seem to be the same in that regard. I'm going to call that office tomorrow and see if they're willing, although when I tried to call today their phone was busy the entire day.

The last I was told was that Scott was going to ship as soon as he was paid and that he was supposed to be paid at the end of last week. He was paid and nothing was shipped. I know he was paid because his cell phone was disconnected for a while and coincidentally came back in service at the end of last week, although he always voice mails me, even when I block my number. I think he must've been able to pay his phone bill to get his phone number back in service.

It seems that no one here on RC or the other boards that he participates on has heard from him in a while so I'm not sure that there is really any opportunity to pressure him. Also, it seems that the woman whom I spoke with at that office is in regular contact with him and I think she, of all people, could pressure him.

Last edited by Acropooper; 07/11/2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07/12/2007, 12:23 AM
Registered Member.

So did you get a tracking number with a delivery date yet??? I thought the woman was going to ship it out??? Let us know.
Old 07/12/2007, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

No, nothing has been shipped.

The woman at that business told me Scott came and boxed it up and that he would ship it once he was paid. She told me he would be paid by the end of last week. I'm sure he was because I think that he's doing some work for that office so she's probably the one who's paying him but more obviously, his phone is back in service as of the end of last week after being disconnected for a couple of weeks. He must've paid his phone bill.

I received an offer from a local reefer there to ship the skimmer for me. I would like to pursue this as the easiest solution, but I can't even do that because I can't get through to that office anymore. The number is always busy and I'm wondering if NY numbers have been blocked there or something because the fax number is working.

Is it busy for everyone else? The contact is:

Koala-T Mailing, Inc
1803 Buerkle Road
Suite 101
White Bear Lake, MN 55110
Phone 651-777-1054
Fax 651-777-1028

This whole situation is so ridiculous. I'm trying to be reasonable about this and I can't even get through to these people. Anybody have any other phone numbers before I fill out the paperwork with the police today?
Old 07/12/2007, 09:27 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Fill out the paper work already. You're being scammed and we have been trying to help by trying to get you to give this over to the police.
Old 07/12/2007, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Go on and contact the police. If he was concerned about you at all, he could contact you.
Old 07/12/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

Fill out the paperwork. Worst case scenario is that after you have filled it out he finally gets his act together and ships, at which point you would just have to inform the agencies involved that it had finally been resolved amicably.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 07/12/2007, 03:56 PM
Registered Member.

Yeah fill out the paperwork already. He doesn't care about you so why should you care about him. I would just do it before it's too late.