Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/25/2005, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

the effects of wood stain on the tank if any

just curious as to what precautions i should take to protect my tank for the fumes of the staining going on in the same room if i even need to protect it .also what would the effects be on water quality i currently have the filter and air pump turned off and have a blanket covering it
Old 03/25/2005, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

I would get as much air going through the room as possible (open windows and blow out fumes. The other thing you can do is place an air pump outside the room (preferrably outside the house) and run a long airline into the tank. That would bring fresh air into the tank.

I'm going through the same thing with stencilling and light construction in the same room as my tank.
Old 03/25/2005, 06:44 PM
RC Mod

You may also want to use carbon and polyfilter just in case .

What kind of filter do you have. Water can go stagnant in some filters and cause more problems than the fumes.

fwiw,

Agu
Old 03/27/2005, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

i have a rena filstar 3 my cole tang bit the bucket cant say if it was the fumes or not as he would not eat any food only algae in the tank all other fish seem fine though im going to do a 10 %water change or should i change more ? what kind of effects does the stagnant water have on the tank im assumeing fish loss ? would having the filter off for two days cause it to go stagnant ?
Old 03/27/2005, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Consider using water based stains and / or finishes. I haven't used the water based stains, but I've had good results with water based polyurethane. You'll probably want 3-4 coats of water based poly to get the thickness of 2-3 coats of oil poly.

While you still won't want to contaminate your tank with the water based products the fumes aren't nearly as bad.

John