Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 02/17/2005, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

fish room in laundry room

I am thinking about putting my 72-gallon bow front in the wall and having a fish room behind it. The wall that is perfect for the tank has a laundry room on the other side. I thought this was great; it already had plumbing, drain, sink, etc in it. However, the more I thought about it, I am wondering if this is bad. Could there be any negative side effects from things being in the air, i.e. fragrances from fabric softeners etc? I have read where burning candles and using aerosol cans can be bad for a tank and was wondering about this issue.

Thanks
Kevin
Old 02/18/2005, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

Don't know about yours but my laundry room gets pretty warm when the dryer is running. Along with the things you already mentioned it would not be the ideal place. Just my .02
Old 02/19/2005, 07:42 AM
Professional Aquarist

It is going to depend on how big the laundry room is and how well vented. There is a local here in Pittsburgh that uses his laundry room as the back room for his in wall fish tank. But, the room is large (about 10' by 15') and the door to it is one of those louvered kind, so heat and fragrances are not a problem. The only thing that causes Chris trouble is hogging the sink or keeping buckets in his wife's way.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 02/19/2005, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

haha yeah that could be a problem. Although my fiance is just as excited about my fish tank as I am, which by the way is not always a good thing because I need someone to keep my finances in check. I was thinking of putting a vented door in, the laundry room is about 6x8.

thanks for the replies.
Old 03/06/2005, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

I'm a little late responding here, but just found this thread.

I stopped using fabric softener about 15 years ago because of my son's allergic reaction to it. I really haven't ever noticed a difference in my laundry. Fabric softener sheets are mostly smelly stuff and urea if I remember correctly. IMO just a well thought out markening scheme. Everyone thinks they need it.

I would also think about the type of laundry deturgent. A natural one without phosphates and other chemicals is not hard to find. I've been using BioKleen and haven't been disappointed. (Even washed my daughter's cloth diapers with it.)

OK, now I sound like an ad. But, these things will solve all but the venting problem. You'll also save some money on laundry products that you can redirect twards your tank!

Congrats on your engagement! I wish you many happy years together.
Old 03/15/2005, 02:25 PM
Moved On

I'm an HVAC Tech., so I feel somewhat qualified to answer this question. The fabric softener is your main problem. The stuff is basically a lubricant. Steric Acid and Lipids mostly. It's not the perfume they put in it that is cause for concern. Let me ask you a question. Would you spray Silicone lubricant on your glass to keep it clean? Of course not! The detergent is no good no matter it having Phosphates or not. BTW, it is illegal to have Phosphates in manufactured detergents in the US. It is also illegal to sell them. You can, however buy TSP and add it yourself. All detergents are surfectants. That's how they work. Surfectants are what surround polar molecules and sequester them in solution. Does that sound good in an Aquarium? I think the answer to your question would depend on concentration. Ventilation is dilution of a certain "controlled environment" with air that we hope is better. BTW, think about painting the wall around the tank, so that it is easy to disinfect and clean fungus. If your Dryer outlet is good, meaning, has no leakage, you will probably not have a problem. Watch out where you get your lighting fan air from! Perhaps, you could "quarantine" the area around the tank with some kind of curtain and use a "fan-in-a-can" venting schema.
Old 03/19/2005, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Tagging a long.

Thanks, Fzech
Old 03/20/2005, 11:18 AM
RC Staff
American

[tagalong]

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 03/25/2005, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

I have my 120 gal in the wall, using my laundry room as my fish room for over a year now. I've noticed no adverse reactions when we use the washer or dryer with any of the normal laundry products. My laundy room is actualy pretty small.

It has been an ideal spot because of the water supply line for ro/di water , the sink, the ventilation fan for humidity, and the drain for water changes.