Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/23/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Ohio EastWood Mall Display

Ok, I haven't been on here in a while... so I don't know if this has been talked about yet but everyone in the area should go down to the Eastwood Mall and see the new display. They have three really nice saltwater tanks set up. But while you are there... say good bye to the 5 foot reef shark they are killing. I love the idea and I love the tanks but they have a 5 foot shark in a tank that is big.... but not big enough. I'm not someone that is going to go down there and protest but I haven't seen that shark move in almost two weeks and he is for sure going to die. They have some 18 inch white tip reef sharks that are doing good and are still very active. I just thought it was a shame and thought if you are in the area... you should stop by and see him before it's too late.

Mods... not sure if this is in the right area.. please move if i'm wrong. Thanks.
Old 10/24/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Anybody else see this?
Old 10/26/2007, 05:59 AM
Registered Member

Very sad.

Sharks shouldnt be in tanks,not unless they are huge.
Old 11/10/2007, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

I was just there yesterday. I am in town visiting family and they took me to see it. I was soo sad to see that shark in there. If I lived here I would be down there everyday to protest!
Old 11/18/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

I hate to say this, but sharks should not even be able to be sold to hobbiests. I think only people who have something to prove buy and keep sharks. The only people who I know who have shraks are losers and really do not know how to keep them and they tend to die. There are many things that are sold in this hobby that should not be we as hobbiest need to not fall into this and say oh thats beautiful I'll try to keep it.
Old 11/18/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Well I think that the people that installed this display were not hobbiests. I think the person that paid for the display desided to keep the sharks against the advise of the installers. At least that is what I heard.
Old 11/18/2007, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

pics?
Old 11/22/2007, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

This may be the same five foot whitetip reef shark that was recently posted on a public aquarium listserve. If it is, they ARE trying to find a home for it at a public aquarium. The problem is that whitetips have a nasty habit of sleeping under a rock all day and then swimming around the tank at night, sucking sleeping fish out of crevices. Gets kinda expensive after awhile. Most PA's avoid them.

JHemdal
Old 11/23/2007, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rossini
Very sad.

Sharks shouldnt be in tanks,not unless they are huge.
Why should people be allowed to keep huge sharks and not smaller ones?
Old 11/25/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Why should people be allowed to keep huge sharks and not smaller ones?
I think he meant people should only keep them in huge tanks.
Old 11/30/2007, 04:28 PM
Obsessed

now i have seen some tanks here that i belive are capable of housing some species of sharks ( banded cat sharks, bamboo sharks ) the guys that get max 3 feet long. but those tanks are few and far between are are either a dedicated species tank. or a massive reef that no one would want a shark in anyways.

my 2 cents
Old 12/02/2007, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

ya know its funny you see ppl buing sharks to put in there home tanks. BUT you never see a dolphin ever being talked about and if you say you would like to have one they will say dolphins get HUGE!!!!!!!
Old 12/19/2007, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

Very sad - no clue why people do these things