Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 12/04/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Thoughts on equipment list for large "as eco-friendly as possible" system

I'm looking at installing a large system, and its my desire to make it as eco-friendly as possible (realistically its the least harmful possible). The tank I'm looking at is a 185 (60x30x24) or 225 (60x36x24). So here are my thoughts so far:

Lighting: I don't think LED is there yet, so I'm thinking T5, 10x5' (80w) or 12x4' (54w). I plan to do an open top so that heat can escape, eliminating the need for a chiller, and hopefully reducing evap.

Flow: I am looking at the Ecotech Vortech pumps as what seems the most energy efficient option.

Skimmer: the ATI BM 250 or the Xtreme 250 (running the same Sicce pumps) seem like they are as efficient as they come, any alternative suggestions?

RO/DI: I'm thinking of upgrading to the water saver RO/DI unit from filter guys. Are there any other units out there that are more efficient?

Return pump: need suggestions here?

Any other suggestions for more efficient equipment for this type of set up?
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 12/04/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

"Return pump: need suggestions here?"

Reefflo maybe?

I'm setting up a similar system (48x36x30) so I'm doing the same window shopping. I'll be using 2MH's hung very high up for a larger spread. I like your BM skimmer approach but I have to go external so I'm going with the Orca =/

Vortech is nice but too $$ for me. Same with LED otherwise I would have gotten them (I'd need 3 strips front to back for my tank =(

Now that I've said that... what's your budget and what other eqiupment will you be getting? I like the items you've listed so far.

Chris

We live with each other, not for ourselves - Protect our planet
Old 12/04/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Budget...ummm...hmmm Prefer not to say, but this isnt going to be cheap, I want it done right. I thought about MH (have 1 400w on my current setup), but cant justify the energy consumption, also not sure that those wouldnt stretch the limits of the 100A circuit in my condo?

Are you going with the Reeflo 200 or 250 for your system?
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
Old 12/06/2007, 02:46 AM
Registered Member

I'm going with the 250... it's more than I wanted to spend but I want long bubble/water dwell time and the better impeller.

that said... yea, mine's not cheap either! haha... i'm pushing 4k and I haven't even gotten rock/salt/powerheads yet! granted, this is a 2k custom glass tank by itself (odd dimensions, starfire, starboard, 3/4" glass and I'm getting it at cost b/c I work part time at a lfs)

As far as energy... WELL... I'm not sure about where you live but I can choose my electric provider. I can pay .12/kwh for coal power or 15/kwh (maybe more?) for wind powered. I think if you go with renewable energy then you have a better case of using less efficient equipment until costs/technology come around (LED's)

food for thought so you can maybe "cheat" =)

Old 12/06/2007, 02:47 AM
Registered Member

oh, i'm also getting the 250 b/c i don't want to have regrets of not spending a little more on a very important piece of equipment for the tank. plus, I have a feeling my fiancee will like feeding the fish... a lot =)

i'm getting the skimmer from mike - if you get one from him, tell him i sent ya! =)

Old 12/09/2007, 01:27 AM
TRC Leader

Eheim pumps are very efficient and quiet. Try to design things to be gravity feed if possible, instead of pump feed. Instead of RO/DI, try a Kold Ster-il unit by Poly-Bio Marine, no waste water.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 12/09/2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

The smaller the system the more eco-friendly. No system would be best.
Old 12/09/2007, 11:13 AM
Team RC Member

I'd add---6 cheap feet of yellow locline to carry the wastewater from the ro/di over to the washing machine. No need to discard anything, no need to send a unit to the cyclers just because it's a water pig: just bucket or pipe the waste to household use, and the washing machine is perfectly fine.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/10/2007, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Konadog
Eheim pumps are very efficient and quiet. Try to design things to be gravity feed if possible, instead of pump feed. Instead of RO/DI, try a Kold Ster-il unit by Poly-Bio Marine, no waste water.
I looked into Kold Ster-il...unfortunately, it doesnt seem it sufficient for SPS.
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
Old 12/10/2007, 08:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
I'd add---6 cheap feet of yellow locline to carry the wastewater from the ro/di over to the washing machine. No need to discard anything, no need to send a unit to the cyclers just because it's a water pig: just bucket or pipe the waste to household use, and the washing machine is perfectly fine.
This is another trade off of city living...I'm in a high rise condo, and I dont think that plumbing is possible. Ugh...its always a trade off...I walk to and from work every day, but then things like this consume more.
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
Old 12/10/2007, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by samtheman
The smaller the system the more eco-friendly. No system would be best.

Yup, thus the "as eco friendly as possible" title
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
Old 12/10/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcliffy2
Yup, thus the "as eco friendly as possible" title
Its true of every human activity.