Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is premium membership worth the $24?
Nah. Use it on a deluxe pizza. 12 21.82%
You bet. Will never go std. member again 26 47.27%
Good deal enables searching anytime without having to wait. 15 27.27%
Nah, I still have to wait to use the search function 6 10.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09/15/2005, 09:39 PM
Premium Member

Question Premium membership worth the $24

Curous if the Premium membership is worth the $24?
Old 09/15/2005, 09:51 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Also interested. Not be able to use search is kind of a bummer... especially when you have a clown that is going to die within a hour and no one wants to reply to your post :/

$25 isn't too bad though. You are supporting a good cause (RC!). Think of how many books you would have to buy to get good advice like you get here.
Old 09/15/2005, 10:49 PM
I play with water

Quote:
Originally posted by xtrstangx
Not be able to use search is kind of a bummer... ..
Unless something has changed the search function is available to everyone. Premium membership merely bumps you to the front of the line during the busy times.

Otherwise, to answer the question - it's all about your perspective. If you are merely calculating physical return on your investment then no, I don't think life is all that different than before I upgraded.

However, supporting the site allows for the powers that be to add other functions, expand services and generally make the place all the nicer. If that in turn draws new hobbyists in, or keeps existing ones around, then there is a trickle down affect that benefits many more across the board in the form of education and assistance.

Brett
Old 09/15/2005, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

Ill do it when I get my tank up. or maybe during. but I will do it. without this Id be SOL for info. couldnt get a book with a millionth of this much information for 25$
Old 09/15/2005, 11:12 PM
a wrasse cleans my... bb

I'm not a premium member, yet I don't wait for the search function to work because I found a secret search button.

Old 09/15/2005, 11:27 PM
In over my head!

Quote:
Nah, I still have to wait to use the search function
5 people voted for this? Something tells me these people are not premium members. I've NEVER had to wait to use the search button. I use it EVERY TIME I come to the site to find the threads I've posted to (by searching for my user name). As a premium member, it always works. (Yes, premium mebers are reserved a higher priority on the search engine)

Aside from that, the fact is that RC is more valuable to me than any book I've ever bought on about saltwater and reefkeeping, and I have quite a few. $24 is the cost of 1 small fish or coral - the information and advice are worth far more. Heck, things I hear about on RC probably save me more than $24/year. While some will argue that I can receive that benefit whether I pay or not, I feel compelled to do my part to support the website, and pay my fair share of the costs of operating it.

If everyone decided to be stingy, how long do you think the site would be in operation? Sponsor money only goes so far. If you are financially able (and most people who can afford to setup and maintain a sw tank are), you should really consider supporting RC.

Last edited by jeffbrig; 09/15/2005 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09/15/2005, 11:55 PM
Premium Member

Absolutely.

Even if I had to wait to use the search function again (which I haven't had to do in the two years I've been a premium member), I'd still do my part to support RC. As stated above, the info I get from RC and the fact that it functions as a 24hr/day resource are worth alot more to me than $24. I've spent more on books about reefkeeping, and I can only think of one that was worth the price.
Old 09/15/2005, 11:57 PM
Premium Member

If you are financially able (and most people who can afford to setup and maintain a sw tank are), you should really consider supporting RC.If you are financially able (and most people who can afford to setup and maintain a sw tank are), you should really consider supporting RC.

I agree, when I started to buy equipment for my tank it was one of my first two purchases. I mean how can I justify buying the tunzes without paying for the membership that I know will save me far more then $25. I doubt I would have even have known about the tunzes. Hmm, on second thought maybe RC just costs me money LoL.
Old 09/15/2005, 11:58 PM
Premium Member

I think its worth it because of the search button and the space in your gallery you acquire. Oh yeah and that warm fuzzy feeling you get because you know your helping something you use on a daily basis is good too.
Old 09/16/2005, 10:11 AM
Team RC Member

I just became a premium member. I learned more from Randy Holmes-Farley in a week then I have in the last five years. Thanks to his dedication as well as other experts on this site, I have a much better understanding of this hobby. It amazes me how much bad information is out there in books. Well worth $24 a year IMO.
Old 09/16/2005, 10:14 AM
LTQ-MS FTW!

Location: University of Cincinnati, Chemistry department(I never leave)
I do it just to support RC - where else would I spend all my time?

You also get spel cheker...

Ahem... I mean Spell checker...
Old 09/16/2005, 10:15 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

If you can, you should. RC is an awesome resource to have available to you. I've made a lot of new friends here too from across the globe (ok, well just across the US for now). In my opinion it is well worth the $24 a year.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09/16/2005, 10:15 AM
Team RC Member

Ive still gotta get my premium membership. Once the fragswap is over and if I have any cash left I will. The best thing about having it is the spell check.
Old 09/16/2005, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

Porcupines!

hvreef.org webmaster
Old 09/16/2005, 10:36 AM
Stop touching me!!!

Well, for somebody who has been registered since March 2003 and has 10 posts, I'd have to say, go with the pizza.
Old 09/16/2005, 10:39 AM
Guardian of Little People

I refuse to participate in any poll that neglects porcupines.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 09/16/2005, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
You tell em' BrianD. This is just ludicrous!
Old 09/16/2005, 10:48 AM
Monkeys Rule once more

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
It's not his fault Brian, he searched for them but it wouldn't work. $24 for a porcupine is a good deal
Old 09/16/2005, 10:51 AM
Its a Travashamockery

I paid strictly so I could feel superior to others when I search. a Also a noob will occasionally think your a mod because of the little icon, and you can mess with their minds and then edit your post.

example:
Noob: What kind of salt should I use?
Premium member: Table salt is great and cheep
Noob: hey thanks!

Premium member: *edit* IO is great but pricey.

J/k I paid because I spend several hours a day here and I want RC to improve and last. 25 a year seem like a pittance for the amount of knowledge and entertainment I find here.
GO RC

"Power. Abuse it or lose it.." BrianD
Old 09/16/2005, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

The search function is a small side benefit compared to the knowledge gained from the vast communitiy of reefers here. I paid the $ because I wanted to support something that has given me the knowledge that if I had gone without it, would have cost me a whole lot more than $24 in mistakes and poor buying decisions alone.

Besides, the "I support RC" icon is wicked cool.
Old 09/16/2005, 11:14 AM

Most people don't realize that for an additional $5.00 you can have the mod of your choice wash and wax you car every other Saturday wearing only the RC thong. I thinks it's called the SuperPremium membership... it's a tremendous value
Old 09/16/2005, 11:16 AM
Its a Travashamockery

PUGroyale

I bow to the master your reply was much better than mine.

"Power. Abuse it or lose it.." BrianD
Old 09/16/2005, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hogpark7430
PUGroyale

I bow to the master your reply was much better than mine.
You're too kind... just doing my part

P.S. I was thinking around 10:00 A.M. Tomorrow if that's ok Habib? And bring the carnuba wax this time... none of that cheap stuff Thanks
Old 09/16/2005, 11:50 AM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

I think if they restricted access to the Lounge until memebrship was paid there would be a HUGE increase in income

and I'd pay the $5 to NOT have them wash my car

unless......where are the cute female mods!!!???
Old 09/16/2005, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

you know you can search on google and it will take you to a lot of thread on rc.com, not as good but it helps a lot.