Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/14/2005, 08:01 AM
Guardian of Little People

And watching the video would help in what way?

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 09/14/2005, 08:11 AM
Premium Member

There is the argument that people who truly care about their animals and live in areas where disasters are likely SHOULD HAVE A PLAN FOR THEIR ANIMALS TOO! They had time to get them out for the most part... My animals would never have been left behind. But then I think... it's easy for me to say that my animals would not have been left behind because I am fortunate enough to have the luxury of more economic resources than many of the people who were left in the affected areas or who might have been forced to leave without their pets. There are multiple sides of every argument. Just remember that even though all these animals are picked up, doesn't mean that all of them will find their owners again. Many owners will simply be unable (or unwilling) to keep their dogs/cats again. So many of them will be put up for adoption to the general public...and I hope they make it. One of the best things we can do is read the advice given at the ASPCA website on how we can help. We could open our homes to a homeless animal that was completely unrelated to Katrina in order to make space for the Katrina victimes. We could donate to the ASPCA. We could volunteer at our local ASPCA to help prepare for incoming pets from the affected area.
Old 09/14/2005, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

BrianD - watching the video might or might not help. I appreciate that you removed the link and still told the readers that if they wanted to see it, they could contact the person who posted it. And I understand that for the purposes of a family-friendly RC, you did it for a reason.

HOWEVER, being exposed to "truths", no matter how grievous, graphic, vile, or horrific, helps Americans to keep a grip on reality. THESE THINGS ARE HAPPENING in our United States. If we watch it... and we totally had the option of watching it or not... then we are forced to reckon with what is happening (be it animals being shot, human victims dying outside the convention center...). It is human nature to avoid conflict and assume everything in our world is just peachy until something happens to us directly. We don't get a full appreciation of the gravity of a situation until we see it for ourselves. And sometimes it takes shock value before it sinks in. That's how watching the video of this ... or any other tragedy... helps us. It reminds us that even though we might be states away and living our priveleged lives, all is NOT WELL!
Old 09/14/2005, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rueg

You should watch the video - or at the very least listen to it. They man they interviewed killing the dogs showed no remorse. He said he had been doing it for 22 years. What a places website says and what the business actually does is very often two different things. People in the reef hobby should know this by all the crappy products that are out there. When asked if he found it hard to shoot the animals he just shrugs his shoulders and says 'eh'.
Rueg, the Sgt when answering the question misunderstood when answering that he had done it for 22yrs, he thought the question was "Is this a hard job" meaning police work and he answered "no I've been doing it for 22yrs.
When the question was asked again, and he understood it be be "is it hard to kill all these dogs" he shrugged his shoulders and gave that stupid" eh"

A small point but it makes a difference. But you are right he showed absolutely no remorse. Trying to be kind I am hoping that he too is in a kind of shock from seeing his entire life and community destroyed. And so doing something like this is out of character but its hard to believe because in the video I'm pretty sure I saw a bunch of people in the truck, and if so then this is an organized *event*.
Old 09/14/2005, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

i dont want to see it- I know i'll cry.
Old 09/14/2005, 09:56 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by geminiluna
HOWEVER, being exposed to "truths", no matter how grievous, graphic, vile, or horrific, helps Americans to keep a grip on reality.
I do not agree. I don't feel that my grip on reality is any less because I didn't see people and animals in my life die. I know it's happening but I don't need to see it
Old 09/14/2005, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by amcarrig
I do not agree. I don't feel that my grip on reality is any less because I didn't see people and animals in my life die. I know it's happening but I don't need to see it
Exactly.

Old 09/14/2005, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

They should have been able to take their pets!!

Steve
Old 09/14/2005, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

If anyone is in the area, or can spare a couple days, weeks, etc... there is an animal rescue that is desperately in need for volunteers.

The link below includes daily updates, as well as what they need as far as donations. There is a link to a foster application for when the animals clear a 60-90 day hold. Also there is a link to directions to the farm where the animal rescue is being temporarily housed. They expect to be there for at least two months:

http://www.pasadosafehaven.org/NEWS/NEWS.htm

I wish I was in the position to help hands on

And as far as the video, I don't blame anyone for not watching it... but if someone TOLD me that dogs were being shot, I just wouldn't believe it. I would tell you that there must be some kind of misunderstanding and the dog was close to death, or attacking and it was self defense. I needed to see it to believe it, you can hear the shock and disgust in the voices of the news men, they were as disturbed by it as the rest of us. It's unreal.

The casual response of the Sgt and shrugging of the shoulders when asked if killing dogs was a hard job just makes me sick to my stomach.

And that Sgt will be judged by Someone or Something much greater than the rest of us.

"Ambition is like a frog sitting on a Venus Flytrap. The flytrap can bite and bite, but it won't bother the frog because it only has little tiny plant teeth. But some other stuff could happen and it could be like ambition."
~Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey
Old 09/14/2005, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

What happened to the newsmen?, he would had to shoot me too if I was there before i kicked his butt!
Old 09/14/2005, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

Looks like a misguided attempt to head off the impending problem of roving packs of feral dogs.
Old 09/14/2005, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

The newsmen just got back in their van and were like "they just shot that dog. Everyones gone crazy." Pretty much as aghast and in disbelief as anyone would be. I mean, I would have tried to yell and try to get the dog out of there before being shot but I think it happened so suddenly that no one had a chance to do anything. And then I think the cameramen were just scared to do anything, anyone who can be so callous to shoot a friendly dog... I mean, who's to say they won't shoot a cameraman?

I can say I would have freaked out and rearended the truck where the sgt was shooting from, and a million other things. But not having been there, it's hard to say.

Anyway, this is information about who shot the video and an email response from him in regards to questions about the video:

<dleeson@dallasnews.com

He has been emailed and his was response is as follows:

<< Folks should realize that this happened unexpectedly. We had no idea that this was about to happen, was happening, etc. In fact, it might have been missed it entirely were it not for the fact that we had slowed to let one dog catch up to our vehicle so we could get some of our food and water out to give to the dog. She appeared very friendly, tail wagging – truly a beautiful animal – likely a beloved family pet. But, then the shots rang out and she was killed. This is the dog seen in the video.

What a shame. >>>>

"Ambition is like a frog sitting on a Venus Flytrap. The flytrap can bite and bite, but it won't bother the frog because it only has little tiny plant teeth. But some other stuff could happen and it could be like ambition."
Old 09/14/2005, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

the video didn't have to be released and could have been edited. But the news as it is, always likes to portray the BAD stuff for shock value for ratings, sometimes I think!
Old 09/14/2005, 01:38 PM
RC Mod

The man (I won't put his name here, but it's public knowledge)who had done the shooting has been suspending, mainly due to the large public outcry about this. Whether or not he keeps his job is another matter (there are plenty lobbying to make sure he doesn't).

As for fostering, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. One is that any of the animals that were found and were not direct owner surrenders have to be kept in quarantine for 30 days by state law. They have been able to bend that now so that animals are going to shelters in other states for this process.

The best place to go for information about fostering is www.petfinder.com they have a specific area for discussion about Katrina victims, and you'll get much more useful information there than you will here. They've had a flood of people asking to foster, but because of the 30d rule, and because they're so busy just trying to collect the animals and keep them alive, they haven't really been able to start sorting through that to find good temporary homes.

The ASPCA also has some good information on their website.

A couple of the local shelters in this area have started getting some in, and we might find a puppy to foster (we've been thinking about doing this for months).

Reportedly, Snowball has also been returned to his family (if you didn't see the video about Snowball, don't look for it; it's very hard to watch if you have either kids or dogs).

I don't know if any of you saw the picture of the poodle who sat by his owner's dead body at the gas station for 5 days. It's really a wrenching picture. The ASPCA reportedly did pick him up. Because of that devotion that there's already a waiting list for that dog (and some strings are being pulled to waive the 30 day wait because there's proof that the owner won't be coming for him).

As for good videos, did anyone see the one on CNN yesterday where they went with a guy who was going back to his house? He had evacuated 12 days before, and they were only able to take the puppy with them. They left out food and water for the other dogs and the cat. When they pulled up in the boat, the dogs were on the porch ready to jump into his arms. He had to keep yelling at them to get back because they wanted to jump right into the water to get to him. It was very touching (in a way that only dog owners can understand).

Dave

Last edited by Wolverine; 09/14/2005 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09/14/2005, 01:46 PM
RC Mod

With the fostering, I should say that the dogs that are found are being kept in state for 30 days, to give owners a chance to find them. Dogs that were surrendered by owners (usually because of no place to live), or were already at the shelters are the ones being shipped to other states.

Also remember, if you're willing to open your heart for a Katrina foster, look into doing it for a local dog anyway. They'll need the extra space in a few weeks when more of the New Orleans animals are released to the rest of the nation.

Dave
Old 09/14/2005, 02:05 PM

Dave, do you have a link to the story of the guy losing his job? I would like to read that and enjoy the moment.

Old 09/14/2005, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
The man (I won't put his name here, but it's public knowledge)who had done the shooting has been suspending, mainly due to the large public outcry about this. Whether or not he keeps his job is another matter (there are plenty lobbying to make sure he doesn't).
If this is true... so glad to see the video was useful in its unedited form!
Old 09/14/2005, 02:26 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
Dave, do you have a link to the story of the guy losing his job? I would like to read that and enjoy the moment.
He hasn't actually lost his job, but there are people lobbying for it. Reportedly, he has been suspended. I'll see if I can find the link reporting that; there's a lot of misinformation and rumor you have to get through before you can find anything that looks legitimate.
And what the hell, his name is Sgt. Mike Minton; that will make it easier for anyone else to confirm what's going on with him (though I did learn there's also someone on the FBI's most wanted list with the same name).

Dave
Old 09/14/2005, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

Dave- thanks for the info, I am going to check out that website.

And good to know something is being done, on the horse forum I post on there is a 3-4 page thread about this. They have listed pretty much every number and email that can be contacted in regards to this video. A lot of the numbers were busy, so I've sent out a lot of emails

I hope he isn't allowed to carry a badge or a gun again. Someone who lacks this much in sympathy and judgement should not be trusted to law enforcement.

Old 09/14/2005, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

i would shoot a dog to if i saw it eating dead decaying body.
Old 09/15/2005, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Where does it say anywhere in this post or on the video that the dog was eating a dead, decaying body?

Old 09/15/2005, 10:54 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Instant Karma
Where does it say anywhere in this post or on the video that the dog was eating a dead, decaying body?
I was wondering the same thing.

Dave
Old 09/15/2005, 10:59 AM

Some people just like to stir up crap.

Old 09/15/2005, 11:02 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
Some people just like to stir up crap.
my dog just likes to kick it around the yard.
Old 09/15/2005, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine
my dog just likes to kick it around the yard.

TMI...

TheBimbo

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...