Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 09/13/2005, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs down Victim Pets of Katrina being shot on VIDEO

This is AWFUL and GRAPHIC but *something* needs to be done about it and the public needs to know what is going on down there.

A Dallas news crew was down in L.A. filming and reporting how the National Guard and Louisiana Police are feeding and rescuing stranded pets. However, while filming, they hear gun shots, and FILM a Sgt. of the St. Bernard Parish Sheriff’s office shooting friendly, healthy dogs.

The people filming this were actually trying to feed this particular dog and trying to get her to come over to their van. That is when the dog was shot, while it's tail was wagging... just looking for help.

Just up the street, the National Guard was trying to feed and water the dogs until an animal rescue could come in to grab them.

This video is very, very sad... so please know that before you watch it. But word needs to get out, so something can be done about it. The Governor and Mayor of St. Bernard Parish have been denying that any of this is happening.

Sorry, but I don't think seeing the video is going to help anyone. I didn't watch it, nor do I want to. If you wish to see it, contact the thread starter..BrianD

"Ambition is like a frog sitting on a Venus Flytrap. The flytrap can bite and bite, but it won't bother the frog because it only has little tiny plant teeth. But some other stuff could happen and it could be like ambition."
~Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Last edited by BrianD; 09/14/2005 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09/13/2005, 07:23 PM
Reefer

St. Bernard Parish, no less.
Old 09/13/2005, 07:25 PM
possum chauffeur

I love animals and have a dog myself, but some of these dogs have not eaten in a while and many are probably getting aggressive. Just because a dog is wagging it's tail does not mean he is in a good mood. I have been bitten by a dog whose tail was wagging.

I think it's sad what's going on down there, but sometimes it's necessary.
Old 09/13/2005, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

This particular dog was not aggressive, I am trying to find an email response by the initial camera man who said the dog was friendly. He had been feeding animals in the area for his story, so I'm assuming he had already interacted with this particular dog.

Also, the guilty party was in a truck, driving past the dog... how could the shooter feel threatened enough to where killing this dog was his only option???

I understand self defense, and I understand that we don't want any animal to suffer. But these dogs are HEALTHY and FRIENDLY dogs and this one vigilante has taken it upon himself to shoot them, so they don't "suffer" They are being fed and have food stations all around this area with literally TONS of food available, until the animal rescues can pick them all up.

It's just inconceivable

"Ambition is like a frog sitting on a Venus Flytrap. The flytrap can bite and bite, but it won't bother the frog because it only has little tiny plant teeth. But some other stuff could happen and it could be like ambition."
Old 09/13/2005, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

That had to be the most in humane thing I've ever seen ... That was disgusting

TheBimbo

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 09/13/2005, 09:12 PM
Premium Member

I don't even know what to say, I'm speechless.
Old 09/13/2005, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

I can't watch that video, but my coworker just told me tonight that he and his girlfriend are going to foster a dog from the hurricane area until the owner can come get it, or it can find a new home.
Sounds like a great program and he's looking into info for me. I'll post it when I get it.
Old 09/13/2005, 09:24 PM
Guardian of Little People

I have no desire to watch the video.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 09/13/2005, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dogfacepuffer
I
Sounds like a great program and he's looking into info for me. I'll post it when I get it.
I would be very interested in the info and what you find out.
Old 09/13/2005, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Nope you don't want to see it... Dummy me watched it...

Christy...

panties...?

lace panties...?

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 09/13/2005, 09:43 PM
forever newbie

I won't watch it either. I just can't.
Old 09/13/2005, 09:46 PM
I Like Toast...

I too would be interested in fostering or adopting a pet from down there. PLEASE post the info.

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to KEEP fish and his family will soon be eating Ramen Noodles..."
Old 09/13/2005, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

If you can find info on fostering a dog/dogs/cats whatever from there, let me know. I tried emailing a bunch of places but they are probably flooded with response (which is a great thing )

I know that the North Shore Animal Leage in Long Island (??? I think) is receiving a shipment of animals from down there, for anyone in the NY area that can help out.

I didn't want to watch the video, but I couldn't really believe what they were saying so I had to see for myself. Silly me, the video is haunting me now. I hope there is some retribution for this.

Old 09/13/2005, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

After viewing this, I am telling myself that we must all remember that there is more than one side the every story. But if the sheriff really is taking matters into his own hands and shooting helpless, displaced animals before help can get to them, so help me I hope he finds his punishment in this life or at his judgement. People went without food, shelter, or assistance for a number of days but were not shot to be put out of their misery... his logic is severely lacking. The more I think about it, the more angry I become and am prone to say something that will get me banned. So let me end it with a hope that the animals that are suffering or whose lives are ended at the hands of people like this misguided man find a greater peace and reward in the hands of a greater being who will take care of them better than their human owners did in life.
Old 09/13/2005, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

Very, very well said... I agree with you 100%...

TheBimbo

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 09/14/2005, 12:50 AM
Medieval French Monkey

That's just beyond reproach. I read stories of how victims were forced to leave their pets behind since they weren't allowed on the buses out of town. And now, their pets are being shot. I'm disgusted beyond words, and I'm just plain sad for the dogs and their owners.
Old 09/14/2005, 01:07 AM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

Naturally I feel that it is sad that animals are being shot, but there are other things to be remembered. A lot of these animals are probably already in danger of dying from lack of real food, et cetera. There is also a potential problem of animals eating human carcasses,spreading disease and parasites, and the sort.

I am sure there are alternate methods that could be first taken. On the other hand, in a disaster like this, I would use my resources to save humans before I used them to save people's pets.

By the way Instant Karma, what a good way to push feelings with that avatar of yours
Old 09/14/2005, 02:11 AM
Premium Member

I understand the need for recourses to go to help humans first, and that shelter and recourses like food and fresh water can't be spared for pets during times of disaster, I often wonder what I would do in a situation like that and what I could possibly do to help my pets be some of the "lucky" ones that would be able to hang in there until I or someone could come and rescue them. There has been so much suffering and death already. For some of these people who know that they have lost every earthly possession except their lives to find out that their beloved pet has been shot down in the street simply for being one of the "lucky" ones to survive the disaster,starvation and thirst.....Its beyond cruel to the animals and to the people who had to choose to try to save their own lives and temporarily abandon a furry family member.

Organizations are there, more are on the way. I saw on CNN that Purina was sending something like 70 tons of pet food down. 3 blocks from where some of those dogs were shot the Army National Guard had a feeding station set up and they were trying to keep the dogs there until the SPCA and other organizations can arrive.

For those that didn't watch the video, they interviewed a Sgt of the St. Bernard Parish Sheriff's Office who was doing some of the shooting. I know that communications are poor there now but tell me that this man didn't know what the Army National Guard was trying to do 3 blocks from where they were conducting their "humane" executions.

I know that somepeople will think that they are *only* dogs but if I lost everything, through all the heartbreak and fear and depression, I know that I would be praying and holding onto the hope that I could at least be reunited with my animals.

colleen
Old 09/14/2005, 05:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WILDTHING

For those that didn't watch the video, they interviewed a Sgt of the St. Bernard Parish Sheriff's Office who was doing some of the shooting. I know that communications are poor there now but tell me that this man didn't know what the Army National Guard was trying to do 3 blocks from where they were conducting their "humane" executions.

I know that somepeople will think that they are *only* dogs but if I lost everything, through all the heartbreak and fear and depression, I know that I would be praying and holding onto the hope that I could at least be reunited with my animals.

colleen

I'd like for That THING to stroll in front of me some day!!! He acted like it was his JOB to do what he did, not a care in the world, like he thought it was the only answer...
What goes around comes around, is all I can think of... The parents of those pets are gonna remember him!!!

TheBimbo

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 09/14/2005, 06:10 AM
Premium Member

I was curious and did a quick search about St Bernard Parish and found that this community seems to hold their pets and animals in high regard. Their shelter was working towards being a virtually "no kill" shelter. They were trying to raise enough money to build a surgery room so that they could offer low cost spay/neuter to lower income people.

Additionally they were implementing a trap/neuter/maintain program for feral cats. A"healthy companion pets" program for the elderly and even an adoption bus program.

Very forward thinking and innovative. I'm thinking these people will not be pleased to know what that Sergeant's definition of "humane" is.

Here is a link to their site if anyone is interested.

http://www.sbpanimal.homestead.com/
Old 09/14/2005, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
I have no desire to watch the video.
Same here and can't imagine anyone who would. FWIW, this was probably bound to be an issue (the stray animals) at some point and some things are better left unseen.
Old 09/14/2005, 07:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thebimbo
What goes around comes around, is all I can think of... The parents of those pets are gonna remember him!!!

Yeah, I agree with ya Bimbo, but WHERE ARE THOSE PARENTS that left their animals behind? HUH??? Natural disaster or not, I hold NO ONE in high regard that left their animals behind, they were told to evacuate, they had *some* time to get out.

I'd die before I'd ever allow my animals to be left behind to die.
Old 09/14/2005, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gawain1974
That's just beyond reproach. I read stories of how victims were forced to leave their pets behind since they weren't allowed on the buses out of town. And now, their pets are being shot. I'm disgusted beyond words, and I'm just plain sad for the dogs and their owners.
I didn't catch this post, Les. YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME! Sorry, but I wouldn't get on the bus without my cats.

I haven't been watching the news anymore, it makes me ill and very depressed.
Old 09/14/2005, 07:38 AM
Guardian of Little People

I removed the video link. See note above.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 09/14/2005, 07:49 AM
Premium Member

Some people had no choice. They wanted to bring their pets but the people evacuating them said no. There was video of a grown man crying on TV footage because he had to leave his dog behind. I would probably do the same.

You should watch the video - or at the very least listen to it. They man they interviewed killing the dogs showed no remorse. He said he had been doing it for 22 years. What a places website says and what the business actually does is very often two different things. People in the reef hobby should know this by all the crappy products that are out there. When asked if he found it hard to shoot the animals he just shrugs his shoulders and says 'eh'.