Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 08/18/2005, 05:59 AM
Registered Member

Thumbs up 4 day work week

with the price of gas approaching $3/gallon, my co-worker and i made a proposal to our boss. we asked to go to a 4-day work week, each of us will take a different day off. no cut in pay.

she balked at first and said "but that's a 20% raise!" well, yes it is i suppose but neither one of us is paid what we are worth, we reminded her. add to that the fact that amy does 50 miles round trip per day and i do close to that. she relented and said okay, we'll try it for a month and see how it goes.

we agreed that if it's an intense week with more than usual work coming in, we will gladly work the full 5 days. and we will stay caught up on our work, just as we do now. so, we will be doing the same amount of work, just one less day of driving.

wish us luck!
Old 08/18/2005, 06:02 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

I've always wondered how much work you get done when you're always on here! (I keep an eye on you up there, I always check to see if my doggie people are on )

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 08/18/2005, 06:25 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

I'm looking at going to a 4 day work week, but I would have to do 4 10-hour days. I could never convince my boss of the deal like you did. Gas prices are killing me too. It's about $2.69 a gallon here right now and I have a 90-mile round trip per day commute. So it's either a 4 10's shift or working from home one day a week. I kind of like the thought of 4 10's but we will see...I'm going to try it out two weeks from now and see how it goes. I'm worried about getting enough sleep though and being able to stay awake on the drive home at 4:30pm after a full day of work starting at 6:00am...especially since it's about a 45 minute to 1 hour commute each way.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08/18/2005, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

Wow... Seee what a newer, faster computer can do for somebody???

TheBimbo

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 08/18/2005, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

believe it or not, my old computer was SO old, i could not keep up no matter what i did. this new one makes a HUGE difference!

i just put $39 of gas in my vehicle. i have NEVER put $39 all at once in this vehicle. i drive an S-10, 5 speed. sheesh!
Old 08/18/2005, 08:12 AM
Sorry, I'm not Jeremy

I wish I could spend 39$ to fill mine up..Times like these I wish my Expedition was a tiny economical car..........
Old 08/18/2005, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Ninapearl -
I am SO jealous! I absolutely love 4-day work weeks. Usually, that does mean 4 10-hour days ... but even that is fine with me; in our field, we end up having to stay late lots of times anyway, which makes management testy. So on that schedule, we get an extra day off, they don't have to pay OT, and everybody's happy. I wish we could have that schedule! This company is a little too small to cover all the days with the staff we've got.
It's great to have a Monday or Friday off, and be able to be out and about while everybody else is going to work - it feels like you're on some special vacation every week
I hope you like it and it works out for everyone.

~v~
Old 08/18/2005, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Nina, is there any kind of work you can do from home??

I am sure a ton of typing and stuff could be done at home, fax it in, etc.
Old 08/18/2005, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

..and to add to that...I am glad I bought a Honda Civic this year. WHEW! So far...I am not paying for the gas increase (yet!)
Old 08/18/2005, 08:44 AM
Moved In

Cool, a spare day is always nice!

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 08/18/2005, 08:48 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninapearl
i just put $39 of gas in my vehicle. i have NEVER put $39 all at once in this vehicle. i drive an S-10, 5 speed. sheesh!
I just heard on the radio on their "weird news" thing they have every morning that gas in Iraq is 5ΒΆ a gallon! That would be awesome!

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 08/18/2005, 08:51 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

I work ten twelve-hour shifts per month. I wouldn't consider changing to 10s or 8s, as this scheule gives me many days off per month to accomplish my other goals in life.
Old 08/18/2005, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

LOL Joey! YOU can afford the gas! (Thank gawd for motorcycles, huh??) I'd have one...cept...I'm not mature enough to own one!
Old 08/18/2005, 08:55 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliaddik
(Thank gawd for motorcycles, huh??) I'd have one...cept...I'm not mature enough to own one!
If maturity becomes a prerequisite to cycle ownership, I'll have to sell mine.
Old 08/18/2005, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Good for you Nina. If you don't ask, you won't get, right? I'm a firm believe in job sharing and flexible work schedules - just wish corporate america would embrace that more!!!!

Ahhhh, when I run the world.....
Old 08/18/2005, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joeychitwood
If maturity becomes a prerequisite to cycle ownership, I'll have to sell mine.
LOL!
Old 08/18/2005, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

yeah chili, i could take work home if i needed to but if i can stay caught up here, it wouldn't even be necessary. our days off will "float", won't necessarily be the same day every week. it'll depend on what's going on.

during jury trials, i will do the full 5 days. that's about the only time it gets really hectic for me. well that, and when there's a major drug bust. last week, we were appointed to 17 new defendants in one day.
Old 08/18/2005, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

I hope that works for you Nina. My DH is hoping to be able to do that someday. He works an hour and a half from home. Costs him 17$ a day to go to work. ouch! And he's a programmer/developer so it's not like working from home would be all that hard for him. for him-me, well I might have to go to work one day a week!

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 08/18/2005, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emilye2
I hope that works for you Nina. My DH is hoping to be able to do that someday. He works an hour and a half from home. Costs him 17$ a day to go to work. ouch! And he's a programmer/developer so it's not like working from home would be all that hard for him. for him-me, well I might have to go to work one day a week!

Yeah, just to keep your sanity ...

TheBimbo

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 08/18/2005, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

sanity is for boring people and highly overrated!!

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 08/18/2005, 11:16 AM
in the bathtub

I've been working 4 10's for a couple of years. It kind of sucks in the winter, ieave and come home in the dark. In the summer I wind up working 5 to 6 days a week anyways.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 08/18/2005, 11:21 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

With all this free time Nina may I suggest you take up a hobby? How about dogsledding? I hear its lots of fun...

Old 08/18/2005, 11:23 AM
no pig 2 big

My guys on the shop floor work 3 12's and a 4hr day.. This way the 2 groups work the floor 6 days a week and we don't have to pay overtime for it... Darn I'm smart..
Old 08/18/2005, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

All of this makes no sense to me.

My work has me working 60+ hours per week so I don't see any of these benefits. They tell me everybody works overtime, is that not true.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 08/18/2005, 11:50 AM
no pig 2 big

I hear ya Ryan. I work 100 hrs/week for 2 jobs. Plus I'm on call 24/7 to boot. Nothing like leaving work at 2 am and then get a call at 6am to tell me something else is broken... Man I need a raise..