Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/09/2004, 12:07 PM
Ferret Maximus

CLEAN -CHILDREN FREE-SMELL FREE- NO OTHER ANIMALS-AND I AGREE ON THE LOW RENT BLDG.- DON'T KILL US CAUSE YOUR RENT IS DUE-HIGH VARIETY
Old 08/09/2004, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

children free? as in no kids under what age?
Old 08/09/2004, 12:47 PM
Got nothing

Have prices listed. We have a few shops here that don't list them. Most of us hate dealing with them.
Brian
Old 08/09/2004, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

might i suggest you do tanks like this:

a fish only system w/ the natural method (live rock etc.) and NO lights, a simple reef that has more fish in it andlowlight easy to keep corals, a slightly more copmlicated reef with more light and nicer corals like zoas or lps, and then finally a complicated reef tank with sps clams etc. with nice lighting like halides.

ALSO dont just offer liike pc lighting and yet use halides on your tanks. I have a LFS that does that here. they dont even like halides. Also dont say that a fluval filter will do everything a sump will...it WONT. they do that here also.

May i suggest you set up a nano tank like a 20 gallon (something with a common length) and put some snad, live rock, and a clean up crew in it. For this tank you want to have a smample of all the different types of lighting that are interchangable decently quickly, and keep it on display. have some NO you can put on and then exchange out really quick for some PC and then some T5's (if you so choose) and then some VHO and have a MH that you can put each oh and then can also show combination lighting. That will help newbies out wiht that decision. Also put like what light is okay for what corals and help them decide.

I know lighting was the jhardest hting. i went form NO to PC to MH on two tanks and it cost a ton o $$$$$

Also have like classes where you can show HOW TO's and maybe some DIY's (i know you want them to buy your retail stuff, but if they can diy some that will give them more money to pay for likfe stock) and you can show how to frag and what not.

Just my long winded .02

Derek
Old 08/09/2004, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

You need to sell premixed salt water and RO water ( My LFS does that). I also think you need to sell buckets (my LFS does not do this). You also need to invest in some top notch lab equipment to do water testing and offer testing for a fee. One of the best things I have seen is the one week hold. Basically you can buy a fish and they put it in a holding area. Then one week later you can come get your fish or your money back if it gets sick or dies. Basically it is a good warranty and as the owner you don't have to worry about the customers tank (My LFS does this)
Old 08/10/2004, 12:13 AM
The Notorious Reefer

I'm still young, but once I'm good to go I'll want to set up a LFS.. One thing that I was really thinking was a an aisle of computers for customers to cruise the internet for any information they might be looking for.. If you are apart of RC and don't know what to do, then hey! Sit on down at a computer and ask the questions you need.. If you need time for a reply then if you've got time, sit on one of my comfortable la-z-boys and watch my display tank..

I think that customer service is most important. Friendly, informative employees. Good livestock, and don't sell near impossible to keep corals.. Like someone stated here, keep larger/more room aquiring fish in larger tanks, don't cram them in smaller tanks.. There ARE very hard-boiled people who will want to purchase a fish for a small tank if they see you have a tang in a 40 gallon.

Good luck.

-The new and improved Lebowski 29 tank, (Oh man, it's so close to being accomplished! It will blow your minds!)-

-Boogie on Raggae Woman-
Old 08/10/2004, 10:31 AM
Ferret Maximus

no children of the owners 12 and under- i'm buying fish not here to babysit your kids while u help some one else- customers kids are ok
Old 08/10/2004, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

oo no of the owners kids, ya thats very true, i thought u ment no customers kids lol
Old 08/10/2004, 12:59 PM
Ferret Maximus

no i went to a lfs and the kids 4 of them were swarming me - starved for attention in the middle of the summer- it's cute at first then i come back to reality- & in my reality there no kids -yes!- just pure coral buying splendor
Old 08/11/2004, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

WE owned a few pet stores in conn called Joy OF Pets 10 years ago we were not real big into salt then cause we were not into reefs like we are now !!

WE have done a reef store and fish store in our house on a mtn top in a remote area we are open by appointment only and we have people come 3 hours to purchace because of price price price and we treat them all like family
of course we are retired

but i have paid for my 300 gl my 265 gl and my 2 ---210 gal tanks and on and on very hard to do that as a hobiest !
Old 08/16/2005, 03:20 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

Thought I'd bring this back, get some more thoughts.
Old 08/18/2005, 02:07 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

Bump again
Old 08/18/2005, 02:14 PM
Moved On

Prices...I would love to see prices...There are times you feel that he just made it up in his head when you asked. I like the fact that he will not sell you anything your system can't handle or you don't need.
Old 08/18/2005, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

have requirements and comments listed next to the name on the tanks, i.e., 75 gal. min., or high lighting (MH/VHO), or heavy feeding, low light. stuff like that.

PETER
Old 08/18/2005, 02:18 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

Good ideas, keep'm coming!