Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 01/10/2008, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

sun coral question

they need little light, but are they easy to keep? do they open often or only in the evening?
Old 01/10/2008, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

I am pretty sure they need to be hand fed about 3 times a week. Ive heard stories where they grow easily in tanks. Ive also heard people who cannot keep them no matter what they try. So i guess im not to sure how easy they are to keep
Old 01/10/2008, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

They don't need any light. They do need to be fed several times per week with high quality, nutrient rich foods. They usually only open after the tank lights go out but they can be trained to open during the day in response to food. They're not difficult to keep and are very hardy, however you need to devote the time to feeding them.

Also you need to keep tabs on the water quality in the tank. There will be an increase in nutrients because of the frequent feedings and this can lead to nuisance algae and other issues.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:56 AM
Ricordea ¤ Addict

Mine are growing like weeds and I feed them one mysis shrimp each polyp large enough 4 days a week. One day a week I feed every polyp a generous helping of cyclopeeze to make sure the baby polyps catch some food too.

I feed my duncan the same amount and it's growing even faster.

I am a proud member of the Chesapeake Marine Aquaria Society (CMAS). If you're in the Maryland area check us out!
Old 01/11/2008, 01:33 AM
Registered Member

Sun corals are hardy but sure are high maintenance.I feed three times a week with mysis and cyclopeeze.Usually when the lights are out,never could train them to fully open with the lights on.I guess they got me trained.Oh yeah,I feed them through a turkey baster with the pumps off.Like Otiso said they are a non-photosynthetic coral and don't require light.

Anthias junky,keeping:dispars,carberryi,bartelettorum,evansi,squamipinnis,tuka, pulcherrimus, paravirostris