Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics

Old 01/05/2008, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Keeping deep water species

I have some leads on deep water species I would like to keep but I have not bin able to find any charts or formulas to calculate deep water temperatures. Very roughly I have calculated a 10 deg F drop for every 100 feet. I may be well off and the temperature depth ratio could fluxuate at greater depth.

Does anyone know how much temps will drop from 2,000 to 8,000 feet? Or further salinity fluxuations at such depths?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01/05/2008, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

wouldn't you be better off researching the animals and the husbandry used to keep them what are the species your thinking about keeping?
Old 01/05/2008, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Did I say that I already have them? I have not bin able to find any information on temperatures at great depths- that is why I am asking.
Old 01/05/2008, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Ya but if you name them maybe someone else has info to help. This is what I found hope it helps.Still wondering what your going to keep though sounds interesting.http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/lin....html&edu=high
Old 01/05/2008, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

I cant help you out specifically, but make sure you consider the impact that the pressure at those depths has on the critter, it may be that you dont want to keep the temp so cool since you wont have that pressure, thing that comes to mind are squid.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:05 PM
10 & Over Club

Whoever is able to get you those deepwater fish should be able to give the temperature and salinity data for the depth of collection. There are many factors that can effect temperature changes with depth, such as currents. It's not unusual to find the surface temperature to be the same or only a couple of degrees cooler at a 100ft. At the same time it's quite possible to hit a thermocline where the temperature rapidly changes several degrees in a only a couple of feet.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 01/06/2008, 04:04 AM
Registered Member

I did read an article on this subject. It was a fish that was caught at 100 ft and with proper accumulating to the temp your tank is at .They are much more adaptible to there surrondings then coral. Also think 100 ft in the deepest they can dive and catch and keep alive.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:01 PM
10 & Over Club

100' is basically still shallow. Not much difference between there and the surface in terms of temperature and salinity. It is deep enough to require the fish undergoes decompression, but nothing else is needed for them adapt to surface conditions such as our tanks. Richard Pyle has brough fish up from much deeper, around 400'. These still can be adapted to life in a tank, but they require a much longer decompression time when collected. Temps tend to be a bit cooler at those depths, that needs to be considered also. I think the OP is looking at things from over 1,000' based on his post, that not brings up temp, but adaptations to great pressure that could be a consideration for getting them to live in a tank.

Old 01/06/2008, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

Many of our "rarer" fishes in the trade are caught below 100'. Baby Clown triggers pop right to mind as do angels, basslets and wrasses.
Old 01/06/2008, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the input everyone. The fish Im interested in lives from 1829-9925 m. It will surface to 1500 m. at night and would be collected from Hawaii.

Bill, do you have a link to Richard Pylee's thread or does anyone know of any public aquariums with deep water displays?
Old 01/06/2008, 08:31 PM
10 & Over Club

Do a google search on Richard Pyle. He's an ichthyologist that does a lot of work with deep water species. Probably had discovered more new species of fish below 100' than anyone else.

Old 01/07/2008, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

haha, who else sees this as a problem? did anybody watch the discovery channel presentation of the giant squid? remember how much luck they had keeping them alive? what YOU need to do first is try and keep 300' species alive. cod, pollock, haddock. if you can keep those alive without ANY issues you may be fine. the issue is not keeping them, but keeping them alive in small areas. just search for some oceanographic map, that'll give you rough ideas. the deepest water fish i've kept were winter/summer flounder with no chiller. from birth, showed impressive growth. i fertilized the eggs myself and grew out from there.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

2000-8000ft is going to be a big difference. someone with a physics major will be able to calculate the effect of pressure on temp and salinity. check noaa.gov, they are the best bet for good information.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

I do see it as a major challenge. The fish would be decompressed and shipped with an arrive alive guarantee. I have read about the Japanese that have attempted to keep a deep water frilled shark with out success. Im wondering if any public aquariums have really deep water setups. I dont think there would be an arrive alive guarantee if it was impossible to do. Im having a hard time finding any info on deep water husbandry.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by billsreef
Do a google search on Richard Pyle. He's an ichthyologist that does a lot of work with deep water species. Probably had discovered more new species of fish below 100' than anyone else.
Thanks alot for the lead Bill. Alot of stuff came up under Richards name. I have alot of research to do.

And not to worry. I am not jumping into this until I am fully prepared. The fish alone cost a near fortune.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:57 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by matt_54351
2000-8000ft is going to be a big difference. someone with a physics major will be able to calculate the effect of pressure on temp and salinity. check noaa.gov, they are the best bet for good information.
Heck, 2K-8K feet is bad enough, he's talking meters

Quote:
The fish Im interested in lives from 1829-9925 m. It will surface to 1500 m
Old 01/08/2008, 07:33 AM
10 & Over Club

BTW, what fish are looking to get?

Old 01/08/2008, 07:45 AM
--sister of geek--

And if the fish needs further decompression, seahorse keepers are known to do them in their homes for swim bladder issues--they have a good protocol.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

Any sea horses collected below 100'?
Old 01/08/2008, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

I think it is pretty obvious that he does not want to specifically name the fish, otherwise he would already have mentioned it. Something smells very fishy here, pun intended.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

We can still fish for the answer though
Old 01/08/2008, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

Another person that would likely be able to easily answer your questions would be Dr. Gerald Allen.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

By your "calculations" of a 10 degree drop per 100 FSW, you would be looking at temperatures of approx -90 degrees F at a depth of 2000 FSW...try again.

Many deep water species are kept at public aquaria, I can think of approx 2 dozen species I've kept in my time in this industry...but the group consensus here is right, something indeed seems "fishy" here, so I'll ask again, if you can name the species perhaps someone can offer some advice.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

bchristie, that calculation only applied to several hundred feet worked out from a depth and temp chart. I have not found any deep temperature reading from deep tropical water or in the specific region of the collection.

So what temperature do you maintain your deep water displays and what depth are the species collected from?

Last edited by Crumbs; 01/09/2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:35 AM
Premium Member

Crumbs, to be frank.. it is rather annoying that you are trying to pick people brains for information but refuse to disclose the species you need help with. If you have not noticed, that is the general mood that every poster in this thread has taken.

Not only have you not disclosed the species, but you have flat out ignored several direct requests for the information.

If this is a commercial venture, then you may want to spend the time and money doing the proper research. You have been given some good starting points.

If it is an illegal operation or illegal species then I suggest you look elsewhere for the help.

You are certainly free to continue as you have been. I am just trying to kindly let you know that these types of cat and mouse posts annoy the crap out of people.