Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 07/19/2007, 03:04 AM
Registered Member

Do any of you have teal/blue hammers? Or know of who sells them?

Hi,
I've only seen a couple. I ordered a teal hammer coral from reefscience and mistakenly got sent a pink. =*( I was so disappointed. Someone got my teal hammer. Anyway, do any of you know of who sells them? I haven't seen another like it since. I saw a light teal hammer on ebay, but I don't trust ebay for livestock. I've had problems with Ebay at certain items. >=/ If you know, can you tell me? Also, anyone have pictures of theirs? I'd love to see them.

40 breeder, BM 150 Skimmer, 25 gallon sump/fuge, Aqualight Pro, Closed loop with Reeflo Sequence Snapper and Vortech.
Old 07/19/2007, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

I've never seen one and I doubt they exist. Chances are the seller had full actinics on for the picture, over the pink one you got. Then when you got it, you got to see the real color. A lot of places these days trying to pass stuff off as teal, or blue when they're really not.

Stick with companies you can trust, that don't use strong actinics and who offer multiple shots of the coral under different lighting and maybe even with flash. Especially when buying a more expensive piece. Any decent seller should do this automatically, although very few do.

Some sellers will do anything out of desperation to move livestock. Kind of sad. Almost like false advertising. Most anybody with a conscience won't do it.
Old 07/19/2007, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

Do a search for 'hammer coral' on ebay right now (within the next 24 hrs). 3 pics will come up. The bottom one is the exact same type as the top one, but they look completely different. The bottom one is under heavy actinics and the tips appear to be teal.
While the seller is not trying to pass the coral off as a teal color, the picture is a bad representation of what it actually looks like.

All I've seen for hammers and frogspawns are pink/ pink tips, green/ pink tips, and pink with green tips. I have seen white ones but don't know if it was bleached or not. If they come in other colors, I have never seen them.
Old 07/20/2007, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

Do you have a copy of the coral book by Eric Borneman? They have a section in there on hammers. It seems as though the hammer in there is a dark blue hammer. If there is really no such thing, why would people offer teal hammers for sale? =*( I've seen 2 already.

40 breeder, BM 150 Skimmer, 25 gallon sump/fuge, Aqualight Pro, Closed loop with Reeflo Sequence Snapper and Vortech.
Old 07/20/2007, 02:54 AM
Premium Member

I'll have to look at that book this weekend. I've seen grayish hammers, but nothing close to blue/teal.

Did you see the teal hammers in person, or just pictures? Pics can differ a lot from what it really looks like.
Old 07/20/2007, 03:12 AM
Registered Member

Pictures. Pictures from the Eric Borneman book, pictures from ReefScience and also pictures on ebay. They were all labeled as Light blue hammer coral (under a 14k phoenix, and a turquoise hammer. =(

Old 07/20/2007, 01:49 PM
Hydrophilic

Check out page 457 in Sprung/Delbeek Reef Aquarium vol. 2. There is a photo pf a tank belonging to Ricardo Miozzo, in Brazil. That is the only photo of what appears to be a blue hammer that I have ever seen. (I love his whole tank, but that particular animal Really sticks out)

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 07/29/2007, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

I have a blue branching hammer about 10" or so, its more of a teal blue/green but more blue than green.
Old 07/30/2007, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

Can someone post pics of a blue hammer? That would be crazy if there was a hammer that was blue like a tubs blue zoo!

While we are on the same topic, any such thing as a red hammer or yellow hammer?
Old 07/30/2007, 12:49 AM
zoa ninja

it will never be that blue. the definition of blue when it comes to euphyillia is more close to peachy gray, the term exaggerated to 'blue' imo
Old 07/30/2007, 01:36 AM
Hydrophilic

Quote:
Originally posted by kigs
it will never be that blue. the definition of blue when it comes to euphyillia is more close to peachy gray, the term exaggerated to 'blue' imo
I strongly suggest you check out the book I referred to above. I promise, its right there Ricardo is a well respected reefer... excellent specimens.

Old 07/30/2007, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

I'd love to see some pictures as well! Please post pictures! =)

Old 07/30/2007, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

i have seen yellow hammer corals in person they were under MH 400w at a LFS, and yes they were really yellow
Old 07/30/2007, 02:23 AM
Hydrophilic

Weve got some metallic orange ones at work- Im gonna have to get one one of these days. Not as rare as yellow or true blue, but still a cool alternative to the usual green/purple/tan.

Old 07/30/2007, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

Ace1 -have pics of a yellow hammer? Would like to see a pic

Hormig -can you take pics of the orange hammer? HOw much is your lfs selling them for and do they ship
Old 11/12/2007, 01:53 AM
Hydrophilic

Yeah, I know, Im digging up and old thread

After seeing the orange hammer sit at work for the last several months, I finally had to bite the bullet and get it. I just got it in the tank, so its not open much yet, and yes the halides are out for the night so this is just a T-5 actinic. Overall, I have to admit the photo pretty much sucks 100%, just use it to compare the color to the normal green frogspawns by it But its still pretty freaking orange even with the halides one. Just crossing my fingers that it recovers from the move alright- it was not pleased about the trip home.

Old 11/12/2007, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

sweet.. a store in my area has orange torchs and orange hammers.. they look awesome and will definately be an eye catcher for sure.. im just wondering how they will hold their color in the longterm seeing you dont really see too many of them.. i will be picking up an orange torch in the next few weeks for sure!!
Old 11/12/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Wow! That is so cool! Make sure to get a picture when it opens up. It looks beautiful. Still looking for that special hammer. =) Thanks for bringing back the thread. That was a long time ago. ;-)

Old 11/14/2007, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

Any shots of it opening up?
Old 11/14/2007, 08:17 AM
Team RC Member

Nice Aaron. Any updated shots? I see it is a branching variety. I will have to trade you a frag in the distant future.
Old 11/27/2007, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

REEF AQUARIUM VOLUME 2. DELBECK & SPRUNG.
Hormigaaquatica already referenced it on page 457. The same blue hammer is in the opening pages of the book (larger pic). I have drooled over that blue hammer for years.
Old 11/27/2007, 02:48 PM
Hydrophilic

It decided it wasnt going to open. *sigh* Ill try another one (if Im able to get another some day).

And yeah, if I can get another one to grow out, we will talk Hollback

Old 11/27/2007, 06:18 PM
Tailspot Blenny

i have a pale teal hammer. It's slightly translucent, and I thought it was just a bleached one. It's actually pretty awesome, but not radiant teal like you may be looking for. I'm going to take a picture this week =)
Old 11/27/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

I'd love to see a picture. =)

Old 11/27/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

IMO it's all in the lighting and the photo. I have seen thousands of Eyuphyllia corals and have never seen (in person) a true Orange or a true blue one. Some of them can look teal with enough blue light and the fact that most peoples tanks are standard glass that has a green tint to it. That green tent can alter the color we see as well.

I would have to venture to say if there was indeed a true Orange or Blue that there would be frags for sale every where since they are a fast growing coral and would garner a lot of money for a frag!

Just my .02c