Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/14/2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

help please spent 1900 on a camera did I do wrong??

I just bought the cannon eos 30d last night convinced from the guy at best buy it was the right one....I spent 1900 with the few extras and the bag....and It will not give me a good MACRO shot Im looking for.(also bought it for my sons athletics too)

but Im wondering If I should have bought the rebel and a really good macro lens? any help is really appreciated....also the colors are not really vibrant is there a trick to getting the shots I see on this forum?

Joe
Old 04/14/2007, 09:31 AM
RC Mod

Hi Joe-
What lens did you get? I expect that it wasn't a true macro lens, hence the frustration. Well, magnification frustration- the color issue is seperate and though the lens plays a roll in color saturation/vibrancy etc., the settings play a larger roll.

Quote:
is there a trick to getting the shots I see on this forum?
Many "tricks". There's not one thing to do that will snap everything into sharp focus and perfect color rendition. The 30D is a great camera and if you plan on enjoying photography a lot-- learning about it and striving to improve your skills thru practice and reading, it will serve you well. Man... I sound like a teacher or a coach or something Anyways- if you don't want to spend that much time and energy on it, the Rebel is also a great camera and capable of equally excellent images but at a lower price and with with a few less features (mainly speed and build quality).

ps- most of the excellent images you see on this forum were made with a macro lens
Old 04/14/2007, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

First, you need a macro lens to take macros. Kit lenses will never do that for you. The kit lens could also be the reason you're not seeing great color, but that could also be several other things.

You bought a nice camera, and I think you'll grow to love it. There's just no way to replicate what a camera like that can do. You'll have much better success with shots that you would have NEVER been able to achieve with a pocket camera, especially with your son's sports.

Where are you having color problems? Shooting the aquarium? The aquarium is a tricky spot, and will just take some getting used to. The 30D (if it's like my 20D) will have the ability to manually adjust white balance to exactly whichever Kelvin you want. It's in the menu. I used to manually scroll the Kelvin up to 10000, which is as high as it goes, and select "K" for my WB method up top, before shooting the aquarium. Now I just shoot RAW, but I wouldn't worry about that for now.

The film in this camera is free, just start shooting, and shooting, and shooting.... It will start coming together. That's a really nice camera!
Old 04/14/2007, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

the lens says
28-135mm

macro 0.5mm/1.6ft
Old 04/14/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jwedehase
First, you need a macro lens to take macros. Kit lenses will never do that for you. The kit lens could also be the reason you're not seeing great color, but that could also be several other things.

You bought a nice camera, and I think you'll grow to love it. There's just no way to replicate what a camera like that can do. You'll have much better success with shots that you would have NEVER been able to achieve with a pocket camera, especially with your son's sports.

Where are you having color problems? Shooting the aquarium? The aquarium is a tricky spot, and will just take some getting used to. The 30D (if it's like my 20D) will have the ability to manually adjust white balance to exactly whichever Kelvin you want. It's in the menu. I used to manually scroll the Kelvin up to 10000, which is as high as it goes, and select "K" for my WB method up top, before shooting the aquarium. Now I just shoot RAW, but I wouldn't worry about that for now.

The film in this camera is free, just start shooting, and shooting, and shooting.... It will start coming together. That's a really nice camera!

thanks alot so I should stick with it instead of the rebel???also what lens sjould I look into for the best macro shots???I love the look of the verrry close ups and that is one reason I bought the camera?
Old 04/14/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

also do you adjust the pic on the camera with the white balance after the shot? ALSO do you have to look therough the lens to take a shot everytime or can you pull what your looking at on the screen??/sorry so many questions..
Old 04/14/2007, 11:47 AM
Unregistered Member

A lot o f canon users go with the Canon 100mm macro lens.

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 04/14/2007, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

Wow, $1900 for a 30D sounds a bit high. The lens you have is probably the 28-135mm IS lens which won't work that well for tank shots. You need a dedicated macro lens, something like the EF 100mm F/2.8 or EF-s 60mm F/2.8. Both of those lenses with do 1:1 and have the speed (large f-stop) for tank shots. I would dump (or return) the lens you have and get something else. I set my white balance to 10,000K and to any fine adjustments during post processing. You also have to view the picture after you take it as the 30D doens't have any live preview.
Old 04/14/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Read the manual and learn your camera and from what Ive heard learn the art of photography, the best way to learn is by doing. Thank god for the delete button. Enjoy your new gear theres lots to learn and it never stops.
Canon30D with grip,Canon 400D with grip.16-35MM EF 2.8 L,24-105MM EF 4 L,70-200MM EF 2.8 L IS USM,100-400MM EF 4.5-5.6 L IS USM,500MM F.4 L IS USM,18-55MM EFS3.5-5.6,75-300MM EF 4.5-5.6 IS USM,Canon 1.4 MK11 Extender,Vivitar 100MM 3.5 Macro,Canon430EX Speedlite,Promaster7500EX Speedlite
Old 04/14/2007, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

cool been playing all day....the lens came with my camera so Ill have to stick with it.....I was thinking of looking on ebay for a macro lens.....thanks alot for all the help

Joe
Old 04/14/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

is this the one I need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EF-S-60mm-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04/14/2007, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

or this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-100mm-f-2-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04/14/2007, 01:31 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Both are very good macro lenses. The 100 has a larger working distance which is handy for aquarium use. You can but the 100 at B&H for the same price at ebay so don't get fooled into thinking ebay has the best price. There are a lot of shady resellers in the camera business I think that I'd feel better about buying it from a known vendor.

Good choice on the camera. After getting used to the 30D the Rebel (all flavors) feel a bit like toys. I'm also not a fan of that lens but it's better than the old 18-55 that they used to ship with.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 04/14/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

That 60mm on ebay says it only works on the 20D and Rebel bodies. I'd make sure it'll work on your 30D before jumping on it.
Old 04/14/2007, 02:12 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

The 60mm is an EF-S lense. It works on any EF-S compatible camera; i.e. the 30D.

Old 04/14/2007, 02:15 PM
------------

silly EF-S...
Old 04/14/2007, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

COOL THANKS GUYS....Ill do some investigating before I buy One!!!
Old 04/24/2007, 10:42 AM
Premium Member

Just for future reference, you can get the same camera and lens for $1459 at Amazon.com with free shipping. Best Buy is not a place for best buys. With the money you save you can go a long way towards getting a good macro lens.

Mike
Old 04/26/2007, 08:44 AM
Premium Member

If you can take that camera back do it! Go to BH photo get a Rebel XTI and the Canon 100mm 2.8 and you will still come out cheaper. Don't get me wrong, the 30D is a heck of a camera, but do you really need it.? The XTI will give you all you want and with the lens be allot cheaper than camera you just got. JMHO
Old 04/26/2007, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

I have to agree with RevHtree, that's a great camera, but if you can why not buy everything you want for cheaper? I use the Xt with great results, granted I would love to upgrade to a 5D, but that's a whole other story If you could return it, buy the XT the 100mm macro and maybe a Sigma for a walk around lens. Do some research and you'll be able to find one that fits your budget that will work until you get bitten by the photography bug and want to spend more. JMO.
Or if you don't mind spending the money, keep the 30D and just get yourself a couple of new lenses, it's all what fits into your budget.
Old 04/26/2007, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Be careful buying cameras or lenses on ebay. Sometimes these are dealers who bait and switch and you end up spending more than you planned when item you originally ordered is out of stock. I've had great luck ordering from B & H Photo.

Canon has a website with tutorials and a lot of information. Here's the link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...roductLineID=3

You have to take lots of photos to get just a few that are really good, no matter which camera you have. Keep shooting and have fun!
Old 04/26/2007, 07:41 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Once you've gotten used to using the 30D, the XT(i) feels like a toy. Trust me, I have both.

Old 04/26/2007, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

Ya the 30D does feel really good!
Old 04/28/2007, 01:13 AM
Premium Member

If it were me, I'd keep the 30D and buy the 100mm f2.8 Macro. If you can afford to do that, I think you'll be pleased. I also echo the warning about cameras/lenses on Ebay. Go with B & H. They're reputable with good prices.

FYI: I have a 20D and the 100mm f2.8. I love them both!
Old 04/29/2007, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

thanks alot everyone...Im going to keep my camera and get that 100mm lens soon...Im just getting use to it!