Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/27/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Aquaillumination 400w LED fixture.

Okay. I'm starting this thread so we can get some inputs on the new 400W LED fixture from Aquaillumination. Their LED light fixture is not out in the market yet but I believe its due to be release 6 weeks from now.

So for those who are waiting for PFO solaris but still can't decide to pick up one because of guality issues in their assembly line this is your chance.

Check your their website http://www aquaillumination dot com

To start here is an email correspondence I had with the Aquaillumination's President:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Perry,

Yes and no - the fixture needs to have a controller on the end at all times. This could be our controller, another controller that has the ability to be connected via RS232, or a PC. The real time clock and scheduling functionality is taken care of by our controller, thus other controllers would need to do the same.

Best regards,
-Chris

On 4/26/07, Perry wrote:
Hi Chris,

Thanks for a very quick reply.

So, basically I can program the fixture thru RS232 on my pc?

Regards,

Perry

Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:31 AM
To: Perry
Subject: Re: Aqua Illumination Contact Form

Hello Perry,

Thank you for your interest in our product.

Our fixture needs to have our included controller, future full system controller, or some other source of RS232 serial communication. If your existing controller has a RS232 port on it and you can program it, we will be releasing the protocol in our user manual so hobbyists can control it with other equipment.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I will add you to our mailing list to keep you updated.

Best regards,
-Chris Clough

On 4/26/07, Perry wrote:

I'm very much interested about your new lighting fixture so I can replace my metal halides.
Got a question about your LED lighting fixture. Most hobbyist already have controller for their tanks; will your LED lighting fixture work without your controller?

can you add me to your mailing list so I can get updates about your productions?

Regards,
Perry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 04/27/2007, 06:18 PM
One Good Friend

Looks nice, but whats the price....lol
Old 04/27/2007, 06:24 PM
g l a s s b o x

edit- looks nice...

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"

Last edited by Flint&Eric; 04/27/2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04/27/2007, 07:37 PM
Premium Member

Greetings all:

We've received a very warm and enthusiastic welcome to the Reef Central group, and I want to thank everyone who has emailed us.

The title of this thread is 'Aquaillumination 400w LED fixture', and to be honest I'd prefer to not compare it to a 250W or 400W metal halide just yet. This is mostly because I don't have test data to provide to the public that proves this. I'd like to avoid having skeptics hi-jack and flame the various threads that will come up about our product.

If you look at a PAR plot of a 14K 400W MH tested at ~2.0" from the splash guard, you'll see the readings into the 3000s. I can tell you now, we aren't achieving that. It would require incredibly high power LEDs (multi-chip) to achieve this, in turn generating large amounts of heat and drawing a good deal of power. Our goal is to have a higher power, but efficient fixture.

Now, if you look at the PAR readings at various depths you'll find something quite different, and I believe that because of the focused light path we can achieve intensities that are comparable once in the water.

I know our customers will have great success with our products, and it will perform as we state, but I'd like to avoid comparing it to anything until we can provide test data for your review.

Our website is a bit vague right now, which means many questions will arise that others have. We 'hope' to have an revised/updated version up within the next two weeks, but sending the release for production is our current priority. There will be a FAQ available as well to cover some of the points that don't fit into other areas.

One thing I can't emphasis enough is our pursuit to provide the highest quality product. Every array (each foot contains an array) will undergo a 24 hour burn-in with before and after output testing to insure proper output. The test data will then be provided with the fixture and delivered to the customer.

I'm sure there are many questions that will come up; please email us, private message me, or post on here and I'll do my best to respond to them right away.

We are interested in your input as well - tell us what you like, tell us what you don't like. We've designed this product to be modular, so we can work to satisfy your requests.

I will keep you all posted as new information is available and answer your questions promptly.

EDIT:
  • Sizes: We will have 12, 24, 36, 48, 60, and 72 inch units available. They're actually slightly less than those lengths to fit in hoods.

Best regards,
-Chris Clough
AI - KD

Last edited by cclough_KeyDev; 04/27/2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04/27/2007, 07:50 PM
clownfish fan

[welcome]

your fixture looks very nice what sizes will it come in?
Old 04/27/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Hi Chris,
Thanks for giving us some inputs on your new product. I have a few friends in this reefing community who are very exited (specially me cause I'm thinking of upgrading from 250W MH to 400W MH or LED) to hear more about your new product.
Old 04/27/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

This is really exciting, but something tells me that this will not be much cheaper than the Solaris. It looks like a rather high-end peice of equipment.
Old 04/27/2007, 09:01 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by aninjaatemyshoe
This is really exciting, but something tells me that this will not be much cheaper than the Solaris. It looks like a rather high-end peice of equipment.
looks really high quality though
Old 04/27/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Ohh yeah, if only I could afford it
Old 04/27/2007, 09:22 PM
g l a s s b o x

Good to see you posting here Chris. I am sure you've gotten plenty of e-mails simmilar to mine But really, if there is anything I can do shoot me an e-mail.

Eric

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 04/27/2007, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

Hi All:

I planned on having a bulleted list on my first response of the thread, to avoid a bunch of little one liners, but I didn't realize there was a time limit on editing a post.

I'll probably answer multiple questions in one response, as we have had a tremendous amount of interest in the product and I'd like everyone to see the Q&A.
  • Availability: As I said above, we're hoping to send things off to production in the next couple weeks. Our first run will take 6-8 weeks, and 4-6 weeks following that. The LEDs are the longest lead time items, so we're at the mercy of their production.
  • Pricing: We will release this with the website update. We want to be competitive on pricing, but more importantly provide the highest quality product for the money.

BR,
-Chris
AI - KD