Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)

Old 12/26/2007, 08:01 PM
Reef Cowboy

Neptune Systems @ YR

This is NOT sanctioned by MARS.

Ever wanted a controller or have one and need a DC8 to take the commands? Need to add/replace a pH probe? Ever wanted a discount on these items while also supporting one of our top notch LFS? Here's your chance!

I have been working with John at Your Reef ("YR") and he is willing to place an order with Neptune Systems for their products.

As part of the goal is to save off the standard retail pricing, YR is offering a discount off of Neptune's standard pricing and is also going to pass on savings if we can order large enough quantities.

As another part of the goal is to be a mutually beneficial arrangement, pick up would be at YR so you get to look at all the other cool stuff YR has for sale. If you have contacted me about this in the past and live out of the area, I am willing to ship for $10 per USPS flat rate priority box worth of stuff to cover my hassle. Each box: $10.

YR is asking for a deposit in order to secure your item(s). Since this is a deal where a deposit is required and quantity counts, there needs to be a cutoff date. Please have your deposit on record no later than January 15th. Since credit costs money, John is willing to offer additional slight discount for cash.

Prices would be as follows: If only one price is shown, that's the price regardless of quantity. First price drop for other items occurs at 6qty, second price drop at 12+ units ordered. Taxes not included in pricing.

AC3 w/temp probe, backlit $360

AC Jr $135

DC8 $149, $142, $132

DC4HD $130, $127, $132

AquaSurf $159

pH Probe $40, $36

Lab Grade pH Probe $55

I think this is all the stuff that people expressed interest in the first thread. I would imagine similar discounts on other Neptune products.

Please post up to this thread so that everyone has an idea of what discount they might be qualifying for. Thanks. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

I'm in for at least an ACJr, DC8, pH probe. Who's next?

THANKS!
Old 12/26/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

These are great prices! Thanks Kevin and John for working out this deal.

I'm in for a DC4HD!

Kevin, are you going to post this deal to BAR and other NorCal clubs?
Reagan Eileen's Daddy (11/10/07 @ 3:27am; 6lbs 3 oz; 18 inches)

Forum Etiquette:
Always ask yourself "what do I hope to accomplish by posting this" and reread it from a 3rd person view...reread and rewrite your posts...most important, be fair to your fellow reefer
Old 12/26/2007, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

Good work, I will have to see which I would be interested in now I guess.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=997688

What is our timeline?
Old 12/26/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Awesome deal. I'm in for a AC3, and a dc8. May also get a dc4hd. Will let you know for sure later. Thanks for puttin this together, james
Old 12/26/2007, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

2 dc8's, an aqua surf, conductivity probe and a pro 3 temp probe please.
Old 12/26/2007, 11:22 PM
Reef Cowboy

bored/dots -- Thank you! Is open to other NorCal clubs. However... BAR board members asked me to NOT discuss buys BAR, for same reasons MARS is not going to sanction/sponsor group buys. However, note that this is not a 'group buy' in the classic sense -- This is an 'on-line' product being offered at a discount on a local level, and volume discounts get passed on. :wink:

Timeline is: Deposit in by January 15th. Then, however long it takes Neptune to fill the order.

Uh, discovered a typo: @ 12+ units the DC4HD doesn't drop to $132, but $122!

Last edited by kevin95695; 12/27/2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:01 AM
Premium Member

Hey Kevin,

For people like myself who have never looked into controllers yet, could you edit the first post and include the retail on each item? I could be wrong, but a couple look like a 50% discount from the controller comparison chart prices. I wanted to make sure I had the right models. Thanks...
Old 12/27/2007, 12:04 AM
Reef Cowboy

JJ: PM me if you have specific questions. Otherwise, here's the link to the Neptune direct buy page:

Neptune's retail direct order page
Old 12/27/2007, 12:07 AM
Premium Member

(1) DC8

I have to look into the Aquasurf; have heard of them, but don't know what they do.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:28 AM
Premium Member

I'm just about to order my next tank and would hate to miss a deal, but I'm *way* behind the curve on this one.

Someone just direct me to a thread or faq that explains DO, ORD, conductivity, and why I would need two pH probes. It is pretty obvious that the Neptune website expects you to know what everything does.
Old 12/27/2007, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

might be interested as well never looked at controllers that much but like some features i have looked at before
Old 12/27/2007, 02:06 AM
Premium Member

Kevin,

Just to confirm, when you say 'deposit'. You mean that we need to go to Your Reef and give John a deposit on the equipment by January 15th, correct? I'm in for a DC8 and a pH probe.

For those wondering about controllers, I have the Neptune AC3, and really like it. I currently have it controlling my chiller, my heater, and my lights. The temperature can be controlled to the .1 degree. The nice thing about the AC3 is that it is capable of being hooked up to a router, and you can access the controls via internet, or like me, I just hook it directly into my laptop when I want to make a program change. Currently I have 3 sets of lights that are all on independent timers to simulate light changes and moon phases throughout the month.
Old 12/27/2007, 02:11 AM
Registered Member

Is the AC JR the one with the serial port?
Old 12/27/2007, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

I'll take a crack at answering some of these questions. Someone please correct my mistakes or any misinformation I may be giving.

The Chart that Doug linked to above offers a comparison of all available controllers. Here is a direct link to it: http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com/a...ontrollerchart

When I was researching if I should get a controller and which to get I listed these reasons for the purchase:
1. Control Lighting schedule (day, dawn/dusk and night and fuge light)
2. Control Heater/Chiller
3. Control Auto Feeder
4. Control Pumps (AquaSurf for Tunze)
5. Chart pH and Temps
6. Auto shut-off of pumps during feedings
7. Control Dosing
8. Periodically stir Kalkwasser
9. Control fans to prevent overheating in summer
10. ????

Regarding the DO probe, here is a thread discussing it: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1258153

2 pH probes are required for your Controller to properly control adding any high pH effluent (Ca Reactor?).

ORP is required when using Ozone (I think).

Conductivity? no idea.

The AC Jr was the best bang for the buck in my research. It can only control 12 outlets. the AC and AC Pro can be accessed via internet, which would be sweet! The AquaSurf is Neptune's version of the Tunze Multicontroller. Not sure of any differences between the two.

HTH.

Kevin, How much of a Deposit is required?

Forum Etiquette:
Always ask yourself "what do I hope to accomplish by posting this" and reread it from a 3rd person view...reread and rewrite your posts...most important, be fair to your fellow reefer
Old 12/27/2007, 02:47 AM
Registered Member

BTW, here is a great thread on how to setup your AC Jr to work via the internet like the AC 3 Pro: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

Forum Etiquette:
Old 12/27/2007, 02:50 AM
Registered Member

SO is that AC JR for $135 the one with the serial port?
Old 12/27/2007, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

Kdblove_99,

The standard AC Jr. doesn't come with a serial port. It is an optional item that costs more. On the AC3 it is a standard feature. Hope this helps.
Old 12/27/2007, 11:36 AM
| ~ |

Please put me down for:

(1) DC4HD
(1) AquaSurf

(2) Lunar Simulator for 2 LEDs

Questions:

1) Is there a discount for the Lunar Simulator?
2) What is the deposit required for each item and is John @ YR the person the deposit should go to by Jan 15?

3) Does anybody know if a standard ACjr. have capability for a DC8, DC4HD, AquaSurf, and Lunarsim?

Thanks!
Old 12/27/2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Quatro, according to Neptune's site the AC Jr will support both the Lunar Sim and AquaSurf. This can be confirmed by posting the question directly to the Neptune Systems vendor board here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...s=&forumid=368
I did a little more browsing on the vendor forum and noticed that one limitation of the AC Jr is the lines of code you can have (40). Squeezing in code for 12 plugs plus an aquasurf may be a challenge, but doable.

Davey, my guess is that the price listed above is for the AC Jr base unit that does not include the RS232 port. Looking on the Neptune site, the unit with the serial port is $30 more, so I would expect the most that unit would cost through this deal is $165.

Forum Etiquette:

Last edited by bored4long; 12/27/2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

I'm in for:

(1) AC Jr.
(1) pH probe
(1) DC8
Old 12/27/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

Ok,

Just was making sure it wasn't this one AquaController Jr. Backlit unit with temperature probe and serial interface

Cause i can get this unit online for $129.99
Old 12/27/2007, 01:43 PM
| ~ |

Sorry, please take me off the list, things changed and I won't need any Nepture products....
Old 12/27/2007, 02:32 PM
Reef Cowboy

OK: Deposit = 50%. Contact YR directly. Can do in person (cash/credit) or by phone if credit.

Will confirm if pricing on ACJr is serial or not. I'm buying my stuff from YR either way.

Discounts apply to other Neptune products as well. Please PM me or post up so YR can cross-reference the pricing sheets of what you're looking for. I have sent a request for pricing on the following additional items: Conductivity Probe, Temp Probe for AC3Pro, ACJr/Ser/pH/DC8 combo.

Thanks again.
Old 12/29/2007, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

I'm in for (1) DC8
Deposit left with John today.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

hey kevin do you know if theres any discount on aquanotes?