Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Old 11/26/2006, 03:45 AM
Registered Member

http://www.etropicals.com/product/pr...43&pCatId=1303

On sale too, Get two of them, only the small ones really deal with filimentous algaes, obviously not a fish.
Old 12/14/2006, 07:30 PM
Tailspot Blenny

i bought two turbos and two lettuce "nudi's" recently to fight my hair algae, and the lettuce nudi's climbed onto the hair algae and laid eggs, then dissapeared.

the turbos ate some algae and got full and stopped moving.

... not the greatest.

my late emerald grab used to eat hair/bubble like mad. but once he died the hair algae kept coming (he died because the tank was cleaned out by him). He started eating gobies, armor of gods, acropora colonies, and such, but eventually i had to feed algae tablets twice daily to him. eventually he didn't get enough food (i left for long vacations) and died.

sad, but kind of good since I might be able to keep gobies now and zoos.

I was going to try an urchin, but found out that they may scratch acrylic with their mouths =(

manually pulling, running dual oversized skimmers, isn't helping.

i have about 80x turnover in the tank.

one day I'll figure it out...
Old 01/08/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

!!! Just add alittle Vodka every morning, and every night, up the dose till its gone, keep it up for a few days, then slowly bring it down so you dont have a huge bacteria dieoff. Ive never seen a problem with my sps, or anything else, and so far for me it works.
"If one day you see alittle green growing, get your fish drunk!"
Old 01/16/2007, 08:02 AM
Premium Member

What does the vodka do to the Bryopsis? How does it react to the algea, also do you have a fuge with any other algea? If so, what happened their?

rich
Old 01/16/2007, 08:13 AM
Here's lookin at you

The vodka provides a carbon source for bacteria, which in turn bind up phosphates and nitrates making it exportable by skimming. Hope I got that right its been awhile since I've read up on vodka dosing.

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 01/16/2007, 08:16 AM
Here's lookin at you

You'll find alittle more specific info here

Old 01/18/2007, 11:05 PM
Premium Member

I guess before I break down the take it is something worth trying. Maybe in a year, if I can't get this licked. Sounds scarry.

rich
Old 01/31/2007, 02:21 AM
Registered Member

Here is an incredible story on this thing.

I have Bryopsis in a few spots around the tank that just refuse to go away so I bring in a Foxface and I remove a medium sized infested rock and let it dry out for weeks.

The Foxface eats all the Bryopsis and dies after being in the tank for a few months. 4-5 more months pass and there is no sign of the evil algae. Then the tank suffers from high nitrate and guess what. Bryopsis is back in all the usual spots and even the dryed out rock gets infested again in a flash.

This thing is sure to thrive in outer space.
Old 03/31/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Can somebody ID this macroalgea? Is it Bryiopsis?

Old 03/31/2007, 07:13 PM
Here's lookin at you

Check out the Algae slideshow

Welcome to Reef Central

Old 03/31/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

looks like it to me.. good luck. I would suggest a convict tang. its your best bet. Emerald crabs are also known to graze on it. I have it in my system, very hard to get rid of, but luckily it grows fairly slowly, so its not hard to keep pruned back by hand if you keep your PO4 levels down. try to keep it centralized in one area if possible, and if you don't prune it inside the tank, it shouldnt spread to the rest of the tank. Move the rock into a refugium if you can, there you can let it grow and be a good thing. hope this helps.
Old 04/01/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome and for the tips.

I got some divided opinion on whether I have Bryopsis or not, so I decided to check here with you guys.
Old 04/06/2007, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lesd
The vast majority of fish will ignore Bryopsis. I have Tangs who devour normal hair algae and caulerpa, but won't touch Bryopsis.

Some people have had success with rabbitfish. I've heard better stories about orange-spotted and doliatus rabbitfish than the common foxface. However, even that is hit or miss.

My problem is that I can't even use Lettuce slugs. I have too much flow in my tank and they just end up getting blown around and sucked into the overflow.

Phosphate removers (aluminum based ones) really make my leather corals unhappy.

So right now I'm just manually removing as much Bryopsis as I can, and it's steadily spreading all throughout my tank. Hopefully when I move the tank next month I can scrub down all the rocks and make a real dent in it.

Anybody tried a plethora of tuxedo or other urchins?

I have a 75gal that I just started 3 weeks ago. I used 80 pounds of cured tonga rock and then all of a sudden-wham. I have a lawn on the live rock. It is predominately on the top of the live rock,not the sides, or the sand yet.

My snails have been useless and cannot right themselves if they are in the sand beds. However, they are making good work of the grass.

With regards to urchins, I bought a pin cushion urchin who has now started mowing this stuff down for the first time tonight. Once my light comes on tomorrow I will take a closer look and see what he ate. I can also post a pic for you to confirm that my tank lawn is the same stuff...
-- Lesd
Old 06/14/2007, 06:01 PM
Premium Supreme Member

Hair Algae is like cockroaches. You can destroy and kill them all on the surface, then it just comes back in numbers over time, and laugh in your face.
Old 06/24/2007, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

I have this crap in my 'fuge and tank, along with gracilaria and caulerpa in my fuge.

If I tried to use an urchin to controlling this stuff, could I put it in the 'fuge, or would it just feast on all my macro?
Old 06/24/2007, 04:35 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

If it's hair algae, not bryopsis, a cleanup crew consisting of Trochus Grazers (they can right themselves better than astrea snails...which, IMO, are a waste of money, and the trochus will clean the rock as well as the glass); Mexican Turbo snails; Fighting Conchs which are excellent detritious cleaners and Cortez Mexican Hermit Crabs...great algae eaters. Also, a couple of Atlantic cucumbers and some of the large Tongan Nassarius snails. One of these is equal, IMO, to about 10 of the small vibex nassarius. Also, if phosphates are a problem, there are two great ways to remove them: a phosphate reactor...pretty inexpensive for the long run with Phosban as the agent or the Tropic Marin Elimi-phos. I've had excellent results with both. HTH.
Old 08/16/2007, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

What about removing bryopsis, growing on the coral?

I have it on the Christmas tree rock, 10g unskimmed tank, micron sock only, changed daily. The water parameters are not bad, "thanks" to bryopsis, but still have 5 ppm NO3 and 0-25ppm PO4, now added Rowaphos.

The tank is heavily fed - for Christmas tree worms, scleronephthya and blueberry, swiftia and fine blue gorgonians.

Plucked it away - next week all the same, tried to apply kalkwasser paste, that I'm using for eliminating aiptasia, on the big patches. But it runs onto live coral tissue and kills it. Turbo snails didn't helped at all.

I will re-do the system hopefully within month, it will be with skimmer, but still well fed.

Are there other option for live corals, other than manual removing (no siphoning - nowhere to siphon) and removing nitrates and phosphates?
Old 08/16/2007, 01:20 PM
Premium Member

You should check out this thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1113109
Old 08/17/2007, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Excellent idea! Thank you.
Old 11/25/2007, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

I'm having my first outbreak of this crap right now. What's odd is that it is only growing on the glass and my tunzes, none to be seen on the rocks. It's very odd, but I guess I'm not complaining. It can't really do much damage where it is now. What is preventing it from growing on the rocks?
Old 11/25/2007, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

It grows on the glass and overflow box in my tank too. None really on the rocks, but in my other tank, it's only on the rocks.

Do you have a fish or snails that could be eating it off the rocks?

The Tech-M trick works wherever it grows.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I have snails, but they go on the glass too. Perhaps hermits are getting at it, but I've never seen them be this efficient at it. I mean there is absolutely none on my rocks.
Old 11/26/2007, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

In Advanced forum (if I'm not mistaken) is a thread "Fast solution for Bryopsis", the same treatment, only applied locally.
Doesn't work with Seachem Advantage Calcium (Mg sulfate). But after a couple of months bryopsis disappears from porous surfaces (coral), and continue to grow in a high flow, even in unfed low light tank.

May be copper from TechM kills it?
Old 12/23/2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Even 3 weeks of TechM didn't killed or significantly reduced the feathery bryopsis.