Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 04/28/2007, 12:28 AM
g0t fIsH

Quote:
Originally posted by xinumaster
Yah I hear a lot of humming noise and when I touch the cabinet I can fill the vibration. I might be able to replace the hard pvc with flex pvc. But I only can do at less 4 to 6" lenght of flex pvc on the input and about 4" on the output. Unless, I remove the 2nd ball valve ( see picture #1) then I might be able to replaced the section of pvc with a 10" flex pvc. I hope that would be enough to reduce the vibration and loud noise. By the way my barracuda pump is a Baltor motor.
the more spa flex use the better, good that's a great motor. the reason why I use a lot of spa flex because when time comes for maintenance it is a lot easier to remove pump then hard PVC since you have to be real careful not to break glue and cause a leak, which I have seen on your intake side where a plate with abc's was use to hold water, lol. get plastic bracket to hold spa flex in place since 1.5" hold a lot of water and ball valve are use thoughout the plumbing. need to brace every 16" just to be on safe side. you also have to remember that you have wood floors too that's why I ask for you to use 6 layers of yoga mat ($10 for cheap $17 nike like I have at academy) since the cabinet sits on wood floor..hope this helps

(red house for 600gal)
Old 04/28/2007, 02:25 AM
Registered Member

Hi CB. Thanks for helping a fellow reefer.

Everything that you suggested were what I intend to do just didn't have the time yet. However on the the double 90 I can only put a 4" flex pvc if I don't remove the second ball valve. I think it is still okay to remove that ball valve since there's another valve on top of the tank just before outlet connects to SS. check this picture.

There is also 2 layers of yoga mat sandwiching a 1/4" wood underneath the pump (I might probably have to remove that 1/4" wood). By the why, when I replaced the pump with a new pump that reflo send me the joint start to leak. But was not there before I change the pump. So I put that ABC plate there.

I was also thinking of replacing the input 1.5" ball valve with 2" so that I can rise the pump by at least 1/2". That would give me more space to add another extra layers of yoga mat.
Old 04/28/2007, 11:07 AM
g0t fIsH

the spa flex should move a little bit on intake side so 2" ball since you're moving the pump back, exactly how much distance from the sump to intake not including any fittings when you finished moving the pump back. yeah that 1/4" wood would create alot of noise, which will be louder than my 3/4". need to get aleast 4layers and up. i have 4 layers and its super quiet.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 04/28/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Okay I'll try and remove the 1/2 plywood. If I move the pump back to remove the double 90 elbow I should be able to gain at least about 6" alone just for that. But I am also planning to turn the intake bulkhead around and that would give me an extra 2" linear space. However, I'll lose that extra 2" from the 2" ball valve that I be putting in to replace the 1.5" intake ball valve. Do you think I should keep the 1.5" ball valve?

I'm not gonna be doing any work on my tank setup for now I gotta wait for a couple of weeks before I start tuning my setup again. Wife is not happy right now cause I been spending too much time working on my tank instead of speading time with family.
Old 04/28/2007, 10:22 PM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

I'm not gonna be doing any work on my tank setup for now I gotta wait for a couple of weeks before I start tuning my setup again. Wife is not happy right now cause I been spending too much time working on my tank instead of spending time with family!
i feel you on this one, lol...
Old 04/29/2007, 12:06 AM
g0t fIsH

thats fine perry, but tried to keep 1.5" ball no reason to make intake larger, make sure the bulkheads you have can be used either way. mine is hayward sch 80 can be mounted both ways
(red house for 600gal)
Old 05/13/2007, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

Wow looking great. I agree with Bart the larger diameter will not increase flow. That is a great idea he had with the yoga mats. I need to start looking out for them. I am planning on using as much flex pipe for my plumbing also. Can we get some more pics Perry? It is looking great so far..

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 05/30/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Okay, first pardon me for that messy wires in the picture. I need some time to work on it. Got the chance to replace my plumbing over the weekend. I replace the output double 90deg elbow with flexible pvc. The side of the wye output is not connected and it is just hanging, so I only have one output going up straight. The input side was also replaced with flexible pvc between both ends of the valve. There are also about 4 layers of yoga mat underneath the pump. After spending one whole day replacing the plumbing and going back and forth to HD the hamming noise still persist.

Old 05/30/2007, 11:03 PM
g0t fIsH

i dont understand why the noise still persist. what is directly underneath the yoga mats? give me all details from the concrete and dont leave anything out all the way up to the pump. i remember when you first install wood floors that 3/4" ply was used under wood floors. if you could lift and hold the pump up while still on and see if noise still persist. if it does the pump is bad again but didnt they send out another one for you that means this is no.2 pump. also i remember you said this has a baldor motor too correct.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 06/04/2007, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Bart, the house seats on a concrete slub and I got solid wood flooring where the tank cabinet seats. There is a 1/2" thick plywood flooring inside the cabinet but this plywood is seating on a 1.5wood which is part of the cabinet framing.

The noise level have improved by 50% so far. I think it just needed some time for the pump to seatle on the yoga mat. I can live with this noise level for now. At least I don't hear the hamming and vibration anymore in our bedroom.

I also ordered a few of the ORA sps corals:
- Nathan's Green Millepora
- Blue Millepora (I like this better than the LE millie)
-Chips Acropora
- Blue Tort Staghorn
-blue tip staghorn

And non ORA sps corals:
-blue slimmer
-blue Monster (I love the color on this)

Old 06/04/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

Nice.. I cant wait to see them in the tank...
Old 06/04/2007, 01:05 PM
g0t fIsH

that the problem perry all that wood underneath the pump with yoga mats. the pump will not seatle anymore, its because 1.5 wood part of cabinet framing and wood under that also meaning that there is still a hollow point somewhere and sound will travel and echo, but if you can deal with it. looking good
(red house for 600gal)
Old 06/04/2007, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

You're right there is a hollow space underneath the plywood and there is nothing I can do about it now. May be I could dril a hole and spray it with foam.

I'll see if I can take pictures of the frags in my tank. Right now, frags are temporarily stack on an egg crate.
Old 06/04/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

any pics of them in the tank yet
Old 06/04/2007, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

nice frags collection.. you know you could have gotten some of those from Spencer, who lives just around the corner from you ?

What sort of dip regime do you have ? we always end up needing to wait a week or so after we add the corals to take any pictures.. because they are ticked off at us over the dipping they have to go through
Old 06/04/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Not sure if I meet Spencer before. What is his RC handler?

To be honest I don't QT new corals. I only dip new coral arrivals in Lugol for 1hr; then visually inspect them using a magnifying glass before they go in my tank.
Old 06/04/2007, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

I don't QT either.. but the dips we put then through tend to stress them out to where they aren't at their "picture best" for a couple of days.

Spencer is AfricanGrey (I think I spelled that right ). He has some great corals and is just around the corner from your house
Old 06/04/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Okay I heard of him but never meet him yet.
Old 06/08/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Here is the pictures of the newly acquired frags. I'll see if I can get a good close up shots later.

L -> R
ORA chip
ORA blue milli
ORA blue tip
ORA blue Tort
Pink Poccilapora (from my on colony)
Blue slimmer (turning brown)
Blue Monster
ORA Nathan's green milli.

Old 06/09/2007, 02:35 PM
g0t fIsH

nice and building up the collection...