Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/19/2006, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

I just moved to the Wilmington area about 2 months ago.
So now it looks like there are 3 of us here.

Vince
Old 01/19/2006, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by worldwidereef
I stopped by aquamains on Tues, they are setting up a frag tank there now. Only thing is I have seen some frags they had before and all I can say is BIG $....... $99 for a 2x3 inch red monti cap!!!!
Thats insane..
I asked them about selling frags to the store and they told me they could give me 25% of what they sell frags for. They said they sold frags for $20 so I would only make $5 per frag.
So i guess the would be selling for $20.
Old 01/19/2006, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

WWR, that is way overpriced for a red cap! Highway robbery. Down under is probably a solid hour and 45 minutes from G-boro. While you are there, you might as well check out reefscience. I haven't been there yet, but they are having a frag trade on the first saturday of next month.
Old 01/19/2006, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

any stores other than fish world, aquatica, and fish pro in the raleigh durham area?
Old 01/19/2006, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

Aquatic Concepts is in Durham on Garrett Rd.
Old 01/19/2006, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

Aqua Escape, (haven't been there in two years, the original guys had sold it, and the owners had ran it to the ground, didn't know what they were getting themselves into. Then there is Aquatic Concepts in Durham off of 15-501 and Garret Rd, Triangle Tropical Fish in Durham as well. Down Under in Garner. Of course Reefscience in Apex. Think that is about everybody.
Old 01/19/2006, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Mosal,
I think Aquamains corals are insanely overpriced and most have been looking pretty bad lately. I do sell them frags sometimes, usually getting $5 a piece for Xenia, anthelia, clove polyps. I saw the new frag tank going up. It will be interesting to see if they sell them for $20.
Old 01/19/2006, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

See i can see 5 bucks a frag for xenia, but I was telling them I would bring them sps
Old 01/19/2006, 12:43 PM
Member of SEA-T

i havent bought any corals from Aquamains for that reason they are WAY overpriced on most. they wanted $75 for a 3x4 piece of Green Star Polyps. i just picked up a piece about 2x2 for $12 at AC. i have gotten all of my corals from The Aquarium Center, and one or two from some people here on RC. i would start a big scene if i walked into Aquamains and seen a coral frag i sold them for $5 selling for $50. and their staff geezzz. now during the week their not as bad there a couple of guys that know their stuff, but the last time i went on the weekend i stood there for over an hour tring to get 2 emerald crabs. i ended up leaving and coming back the next monday after work. before that i had been going in there about 1-2 times a week. now even when i had a job its maybe once a month unless they are having a sale that brings their prices to normal.
Old 01/19/2006, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

my wife jst went there today and bought some Kick Ick, for $35 I paid under $20 in Baltimore, too bad I left the bottle in maryland and cant get it till friday night. (really late)
Old 01/19/2006, 02:06 PM
Member of SEA-T

i can believe it. i bought my first bottles of b-ionic there. i had a 30% off coupon so i bought it. it was still $26 or so for the 2x32oz bottles. i paid $14 for them from marinedepot.com for the same thing. plus shipping of course. so i feel ya!! i mean i know they are in business to make money but from someone that has been in the retail industry for many years, they are making a killing. and the store always has people in there. thats one good thing with a club, we can make larger orders from places and save on shipping, and get bulk rates from some places.
Old 01/19/2006, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

The former Aqua Escape on Peace St in Ral is being re-opened. I don't know if it has a new name or not but I stopped by there a few weeks ago and the door was open but they were not "officially" open. It appeared they were doing some work on the place.

Dan- Did you say there was a frag swap at the vet school on the 28th? Do you have anymore details.

Steve
Old 01/19/2006, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

The Aqua Escape is infact under new ownership. It is coming along but after the previous owner ran it into the ground they have alot of work to do. Just went to Down Under in Garner last Friday for the first time. Very nice store. No customers were there while I was and the owner talked to me the whole time. Nice guy. Their frags swap is on Feb 4th at 5pm. He is planning on having catering and guest speakers, not sure what the topics are though. I have also been to reefscience in Apex. Chad, the owner is very knowledgable and a great guy. Might want to make sure he is going to be around as the business is in his house. Leave yourself extra time as there is alot to check out.
Old 01/19/2006, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

I buy all of my drygoods online. Even with shipping it's much cheaper than locally. I still buy frozen food and the occasional fish from Aquamains when I have a 20% or 30% off coupon. I have purchased quite a few frags and soft corals from Aquarium Center. Their prices are better and their livestock always looks healthy.
Old 01/19/2006, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

Where is the Aquarium Center? In G-boro I'm guessing?
Old 01/19/2006, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

It's on Highway 66 in Kernersville.
Old 01/19/2006, 05:34 PM
Member of SEA-T

Quote:
Originally posted by ncsugrad04
Where is the Aquarium Center? In G-boro I'm guessing?
yep right off Bus. 40 and 66 in Kernersville. cool little place to hang out in .
Old 01/19/2006, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Ok, I've been there before, knew the old manager chris, he's doing distribution now though. It was really nice, been meaning to go each time I've been back home but never got around to it.
Old 01/19/2006, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Chad, the owner is very knowledgable and a great guy. Might want to make sure he is going to be around as the business is in his house. Leave yourself extra time as there is alot to check out.
Yeah, you can only visit in person by appointment. Chad is a really cool guy, and usually he likes people to come over wed. evenings or saturdays. Defintely worth the trip, his stuff is amazing looking, plus you get to see his incredible tank in person!
Old 01/19/2006, 05:45 PM
180 gallon money pit

I am in swansboro nc
Old 01/19/2006, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Well I just had to stop by aquamains today to see if they had put anything in the new tank, low and behold they had quite a few aquacultured sps. As I was checking it out I noticed that about 25% of them had already RTN but the employee was telling another person "Oh yeah theyre alive just alittle bleached" what little tissue was left on them swaying in the current. Oh yeah they are $99 too................ I befriended a guy that use to work there and he told me mark up is 200 to 300%.. Man I wish someone would open another store around here!
Old 01/19/2006, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcgso
I buy all of my drygoods online. Even with shipping it's much cheaper than locally. I still buy frozen food and the occasional fish from Aquamains when I have a 20% or 30% off coupon. I have purchased quite a few frags and soft corals from Aquarium Center. Their prices are better and their livestock always looks healthy.
How in the hell do you get coupons?
Old 01/19/2006, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by worldwidereef
Well I just had to stop by aquamains today to see if they had put anything in the new tank, low and behold they had quite a few aquacultured sps. As I was checking it out I noticed that about 25% of them had already RTN but the employee was telling another person "Oh yeah theyre alive just alittle bleached" what little tissue was left on them swaying in the current. Oh yeah they are $99 too................ I befriended a guy that use to work there and he told me mark up is 200 to 300%.. Man I wish someone would open another store around here!
Yeah cuz they kill 90% of what they get in.
Old 01/19/2006, 06:51 PM
Member of SEA-T

Quote:
Originally posted by rnosal
How in the hell do you get coupons?
you can sign up for their news letter and they send out flyers about 1-2 time every 3 months. or you can join their fish club for like $6 a year, and you get better coupons. they use to send them about every 2 months. they have be slack lately.
Old 01/19/2006, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

I have a friend who used to work there, and I'll tell you, the markup there is alot more then 200-300% from what he said. Say closer to 400-500%. It is said that they get away with it. They just don't really have any competition in the area.