Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/17/2006, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

yeah, I decided to pay for the premium membership.
Old 01/17/2006, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

speedingredline,
You won't regret it. Also check-out the HOW TO SEARCH thread in the new to the hobby forum. It will get you headed in the right direction.
Good luck on the " in the works tank"
Old 01/17/2006, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

Who has the best sps selection in the Ral/Durham area. I know Chad at reefscience has some nice stuff but is there anymore with good prices and selection. Im in the N. Greensboro area.
Old 01/17/2006, 10:48 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

Quote:
Originally posted by nanodcl
I got your back Sean.. Wilmington in the house!!!!! Dont have the big tnak like your but still working on it!
Dag Nab It!
You have been to my house and I forgot your name.
PM , me, and stop on by some time.
Sean
Old 01/17/2006, 10:50 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

Quote:
Originally posted by AllenFord_SC
Beaufort, SC checking in here..... (we are those hicks right under you)
Sean T how is the progress gowing on the rebuild? Sorry to read about your series of unfortunate events.
Thank you.
It is going well actually.
I am taking it slow making sure to do everything as right as I can.
I was too cluttered and I have eliminated a lot of that.
Old 01/18/2006, 12:38 AM
Premium Member

Well it looks like its better than I expected, the wife said get the 150gal. I could get bigger if the depth isnt any more than 18" but I dont know any tanks that meet that outside of custom work. We are going to transform one of the walls in the dining room. Were gonna build the stand along with some display cabinets along the 12ft length of the wall. My wife will then be able to display all here crystal and glass dolphin decorations around the tank. Should look sweet when done. Gonna start on it this comming weekend.

Quote:
Originally posted by gary faulkner
speedingredline,
You won't regret it. Also check-out the HOW TO SEARCH thread in the new to the hobby forum. It will get you headed in the right direction.
Good luck on the " in the works tank"
Old 01/18/2006, 09:19 AM
Member of SEA-T

Quote:
Originally posted by speedingredline
Is the search function ever available?
this search is always open
http://www.reefcentral.com/search.php?s=&menu=11

Quote:
Originally posted by worldwidereef
Who has the best sps selection in the Ral/Durham area. I know Chad at reefscience has some nice stuff but is there anymore with good prices and selection. Im in the N. Greensboro area.
the only place near/in G'boro i know of with some SPSs is Aquamains. they are a little pricey on their stuff. The Aquarium Center of NC is in Kernisville, they are kinda small and some weeks they have a lot of selection, other weeks its slim. i dont see many SPSs there though. but they have some great prices.
Old 01/18/2006, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
There's a new store called "down under" and they are really good, reasonable priced corals and fish and good staff.
Old 01/18/2006, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by worldwidereef
I know the feeling - there is nothing in Greensboro

Triad reefers trying to get a new traid based marine society club going.

Please see this thread

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=733649
Old 01/18/2006, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

I tried to get a club started in Greensboro about a year ago.. Only had 5 or 6 responses. The biggest problem was finding a meeting place. I'm still interested if others are.
Old 01/18/2006, 10:06 AM
Member of SEA-T

has anyone talked to the guys at Aquamains? i know they have a large area in the back of the building they may let us use to meet. meeting at a LFS will help draw new memebers as well as bring new customers to the store. win win for both.
Old 01/18/2006, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Im not sure I want to be supporting a store that calls itself the best in greensboro, when they are the only one. But its a possiblity, or we could just start small at members houses
Old 01/18/2006, 10:23 AM
Member of SEA-T

LOL its hard being the best. there was a time when they were the best. the past year or two they went downhill. there corals looked half dead, the fish were so, so. right around oct of last year, i was in there and the manager Earnest was having a meeting with the crew there. he sounded like he was explaining why things were happening to the tanks, asking things like when were the bulbs last changed, etc. i went in a few weeks ago and the place really looked better. hopefully they are on a upward swing and get the place back in shape. maybe i should get a job there LOL
Old 01/18/2006, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

I thought about it
Old 01/18/2006, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

Sorry for the delayed response. This thread is hoppin'. I'll try to get us more SPS in at Aquatic Concepts. I'm also willing to bring my own frags into the store for sale.
Old 01/18/2006, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

For you guys in G-boro, I'd talk to Wade Lehman? and Chad Bryant from RARE and NCFRAG and ask them advice on how to get things started. They both have a lot of experience, and Wade has stated RARE, NCFRAG, and MASOTC. You could always ask Aquamains if it would be ok to post meeting notices in the store as well, to get more members. The other option is to switch between in homes and stores, it will give people a chance to showcase their tanks as well.
Old 01/18/2006, 02:02 PM
Member of SEA-T

Quote:
Originally posted by ncsugrad04
You could always ask Aquamains if it would be ok to post meeting notices in the store as well, to get more members. The other option is to switch between in homes and stores, it will give people a chance to showcase their tanks as well.
good point plus if we stuck with aquamains, other LFS in the area may not help us out.
Old 01/18/2006, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

Well maybe its time to start a new club thread here on Reefcentral for the new club...Just need to come up with a name
Old 01/18/2006, 07:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rnosal
Im not sure I want to be supporting a store that calls itself the best in greensboro, when they are the only one. But its a possiblity, or we could just start small at members houses
Rich - Good to see you last Saturday. The RASOC club started in reefer's houses and it worked very well when the club was small. It was a draw because it gave locals a chance to meet other locals at their homes. I encourage you to try it! Plus, it's always nice to see others' tanks. You will eventually may want to get a steady public place to meet (what we are doing now), but initially homes are great if you have volunteers that are willing.

Start a Greensboro club!

Cheers,
Greg
Old 01/18/2006, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

We have a group that meets in the Piedmont area :Greensboro, Winston , and surrounding areas if anyone is interested.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/piedmont_reef/

Just thought I would throw that one out for those that didn't know.

The last meeting was in November, should be another one in a month or so.
Old 01/18/2006, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Thanks greg for those words of encouragement.

Vapor, so far I have not seen much of Piedmont reef other then a bunch of emails that clog my inbox daily. That may have worked for a while but with out regular interaction or structure, a group like that is like seening omeone you know at a LFS, or talking on a world wide forum like reefcentral.

It would be great to see those folks from Piedmont reef join and start a true club that can offer something for its members.
Old 01/18/2006, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Howdy! Statesville, NC reefer checkin' in. Has anybody here been to the new Fintastics in Charlotte? I don't make it there very often because it's such a long drive, but it's the coolest fish store I've ever been to! They just moved and their new building is really nice.
Old 01/18/2006, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

I've been to Fintastics at their old local and their new one. The new store is alot bigger. One of the employees said it cost a million dollars to build. Maybe thats why some of their equipment is so expensive{ a little heater for like $36!}. They have alot of fish and corals, but I haven't been there enough to know how knowledgeable/helpful their staff is.

Hey Homebrew, I've heard about RASOC, but have never gone. Charlottes is an hour and a half from where I live{well come to think of it EVERYTHING is around 1 1/2 hours away!}. Do you have alot of members? Maybe I'll stop by one meeting and check it out.
Old 01/19/2006, 01:22 AM
Registered Member

I stopped by aquamains on Tues, they are setting up a frag tank there now. Only thing is I have seen some frags they had before and all I can say is BIG $....... $99 for a 2x3 inch red monti cap!!!!
Thats insane..
Old 01/19/2006, 01:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Broodingwolf
There's a new store called "down under" and they are really good, reasonable priced corals and fish and good staff.
How far is down under from Greensboro?