Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/25/2005, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

I don't know how I missed it I know I read that page. Hey Mark do you have anyone standing in line for your lifereef skimmer? I may be interested.
Old 03/25/2005, 11:49 AM
Flounder - er

Dang! I missed the split and the first notice I got on posting to this thread was today and I find out I'm already 6 pages behind!!!

Marc - I went back to Instant Ocean with Weatherson - so it seems all three of us aborted! lol BTW, I'm keeping the Oceanic to use in the fish breeding tanks - keeps me from feeling like I threw money away.

Skimmer looks awesome! and like all the others, can't wait to see your sump!

Go on, Click the little Red House!
Old 03/25/2005, 12:06 PM
Reef Mania

Marc, you mentioned in my thread that my sand was looking dirty and I agree, it has a slight red tint to it. What is the best thing I can do to help clean this up, or should I take small area's of my sand bed and replace it one small section at a time in like 3-4 steps. I am not running a DSB, only having 2-3".

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 03/26/2005, 01:18 AM
TRC Leader

Bobby,, the LifeReef will go up for sale with its pump, but not yet. Hopefully someone local will buy it so I don't have to deal with shipping.

Chris, I seem to be missing some notifications myself on some threads, including this one occasionally. Getting caught up can be a real task, I know!

RJ, having hermits, nassarius, fighting conchs and a cucumber can really help keep the sand clean.
Old 03/26/2005, 01:21 AM
R I P we miss you...

melev, Cukes scare me a little. I've never had one, but, am afraid if it dies, my tank will crash. Any thoughts?

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!
Old 03/26/2005, 01:23 AM
R I P we miss you...

I'm missing a lot of notification too! Is there a reason for this?

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 03/26/2005, 01:32 AM
Join our OH/MI club-SMART

Quote:
Originally posted by Micki
I'm missing a lot of notification too! Is there a reason for this?
I'm thought I was the only one.
Join us and have a blast!

"Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil."
Old 03/26/2005, 01:33 AM
R I P we miss you...

I know of another guy that lives near me that is missing a lot too.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 03/26/2005, 01:44 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
melev, Cukes scare me a little. I've never had one, but, am afraid if it dies, my tank will crash. Any thoughts?
As long as it can't get sucked into a powerhead, they are quite safe. I've had one in my 55g and now in my 280g and never worried.
Old 03/26/2005, 01:46 AM
R I P we miss you...

I have two corner over flows and no power heads in my tank. Hmmm, I would that should be ok then.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 03/26/2005, 03:44 AM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Quote:
I have two corner over flows and no power heads in my tank. Hmmm, I would that should be ok then.

Once in awhile I will find my tiger tail cuke in my overflow - I just pick him/her up and put it back in the tank. I have had it for over 2 years now. ONly certain one will "nuke" a tank. To the best of my knowledge tigers wont nuke a tank. Way back when I tired to but one in with a tigger - it didn't make it - however it was hours before I could take it out - nothing happened to that tank. HTH
Old 03/26/2005, 08:21 AM
R I P we miss you...

Ok Thanks! I may go in that direction then! However if it would go in the over flow I don't think I could get it out. One of my clown fish got in the over flow and I didn't think we sould ever get it out! We haven't put the wood in the cornsers of the tank yet, but will soon be doing that, when we dom we would never know if it was in there.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 03/27/2005, 11:01 PM
Premium Member

Fish Transportation

Mark,

How long were your fish in the garbage cans while you were moving your new tank from his house to yours?
My wife and I will be moving to Arkansas (Fort Smith) from Mississippi (Jackson ) in April. I have a 75 gallon and a 90 gallon tank that have live rock, fish, and corals. Most of the coral are soft, with just a few hard corals.
I am not to worried about the liverock , since I can keep it moist and in some water. My biggest concern is the fish.
I believe it will be a 6-8 hour drive, and then I will have to set the tanks up again until I can get my 215 gallon Oceanic set up and going.
I have thought about getting a power invertor from wal-mart and runnnig a heater and a air stone to the garbage cans. I plan on using the Rubbermaid Brute garbage cans.
Any ideas or advise would be very helpful from you and anyone else who has a major move under their belt.
Old 03/28/2005, 02:32 AM
TRC Leader

Ibassfish, with that long a drive, I think the trashcan method is not advisable. A power inverter would be fine for an airpump, but a heater will be a real energy hog. What might happen is the inverter may burn up during the trip.

I would suggest you bag up all your fish individually in bags that have air or oxygen. You might need to get your LFS to help you pack them up, and I'd pay them for their services. Box up all the bagged fish in styrofoam lined boxes, and perhaps even add heat packs to maintain the temperature, just like the way LFS receive their livestock. Close and seal those boxes with tape, and head to your new location like a bat out of hades.

My fish were in the trashcan for 30 minutes before we got here, and the first thing we did was get an airstone, heater and thermometer in each barrel to make sure the fish would be okay while the tank move was resumed.
Old 03/28/2005, 02:34 AM
TRC Leader

If any of you are interested in seeing some images from our Next Wave conference, just email (not PM) me at melev@swbell.net and I'll give you the link. Since this is hosted on our club's website, I don't want all 70,000+ of RC to hammer the club's site like you guys hammer my site daily.
Old 03/28/2005, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

joining!
Old 03/28/2005, 01:52 PM
Premium Member

Joining what. I checked my email and this thread for one word....Be creative
Old 03/28/2005, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

Joining the thread, MORON!!! Now you got another email for being a smart ***!!
Old 03/28/2005, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aiber
Joining the thread, MORON!!! Now you got another email for being a smart ***!!
No need for name calling, but just so you know at the bottom of the page is a link that says Subscribe to this Thread if you click that, then we don't get emails to read the thread that has no new info. HTH.
Old 03/28/2005, 02:32 PM
TRC Leader

aiber,

Here at Reef Central, we believe that dialogs between participants should be conducted in a friendly and helpful manner. If you disagree with a posting, please express yourself in a way that is conducive to further constructive dialog. Conversely, when you post on any given subject, you must be willing to accept constructive criticism without posting a hostile or inflammatory response. Personal attacks of any kind will not be tolerated. Please let’s work to insure that Reef Central remains a friendly and flame free site where everyone, especially newcomers, can feel free to post questions without fear of being unfairly criticized. Thank you for your cooperation.

Just wanted to let you know that there is an option at the base of every thread that allows you to "Subscribe To This Thread" to follow along with any that interest you.

If you have thoughts or opinions, chime right in. However, if it is to subscribe only, it is more polite to do it the other way, so people like me come running back to the thread for information won't be disappointed with two "tagging" posts in a row.

This is merely FYI, not an attempt to attack you or your methods.

Hey, spread the word so others know too!
Old 03/28/2005, 03:36 PM
Premium Member

Alot of people dont realize at the bottom of the page a thread is posted on you can simply click the " Subscribe to this thread " link and it will keep you updated when newer info is posted for those that wish to follow .......
Old 03/28/2005, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

I would like to sincerely apoligize if I insulted anymore. I was only joking. I found it funny that he had a problem with my posting but he also posted a reply complaining about my post.

Furthermore, I did not know that I was able to subscribe below.

I have been so advised.

A. Iber
Old 03/28/2005, 06:26 PM
Master of Disaster

Live and learn.....That`s what we are here for.

Life is Tough, But It's Tougher if You're Stupid --John Wayne

Freedom is Flying
Go Spurs!!!!!!!!!
Old 03/28/2005, 07:46 PM
TRC Leader

I'm glad you subscribed. Currently, I'm subscribed to probably close to 3000 threads on RC, and am notified when anything new is posted.

I only wish I could find my thread more easily when I have to update it. I type in "melev" in the search engine when I need it.
Old 03/28/2005, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

you should just bookmark it In an effort to make my post less boring to all the people who just came here to check out the new post, I present my lone mantis of the apocalypse!!

Think of him when you look to the night sky!!

He's acclimating in a bag in that pic, and currently he lives in a sump while I set up a nice little 5g setup for him. Isn't he pretty? His name is Zorak.