Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/21/2005, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Hey! Don't you be dissin' my LifeReef. I still gotta sell it.
I have a 26 bow, and based on previous comments I will give $.37 for it, plus I will pay shipping.

I know this isnt the Buy and Sell forum, hope I don't get in trouble
Old 03/21/2005, 06:37 PM
TRC Leader

Okay, back to reality people. Much to my disgust, my Blue Torte frag that I've been lovin' on for months is RTNing. I can't believe it. I fragged off the tip, which is now smaller than what I started with. While my hand was wet, I plucked out as much byropsis as I could get to, reducing the load.

I did some water tests. I'm making up water now to do a 55g water change with Kent Sea Salt in a couple of days. http://www.melevsreef.com/parms.html
Old 03/21/2005, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Melev,
I'm curious as to why you keep your calcium so high? I normally shoot for 400-450 (been stable at 410 for months now)...
Old 03/21/2005, 07:00 PM
TRC Leader

Oceanic does that, not me. I'm going back to Kent as of my next water change, and selling my Oceanic Salt.
Old 03/21/2005, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Welcome back Marc
Old 03/22/2005, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

MArc, Just for fun set up your new ER skimmer and continue to run your Lifereef, just to see how long it takes for the LifeReef to stop skimming....

I'd be curious to see what happens.

Nick
Old 03/22/2005, 01:54 AM
Join our OH/MI club-SMART

Quote:
Originally posted by maxxII
MArc, Just for fun set up your new ER skimmer and continue to run your Lifereef, just to see how long it takes for the LifeReef to stop skimming....

I'd be curious to see what happens.

Nick
You guys are ruthless!
Join us and have a blast!

"Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil."
Old 03/22/2005, 02:07 AM
TRC Leader

Old 03/22/2005, 02:11 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
After injecting about 20 or more aptasia with kalkpaste, I thought I'd take a few pictures while the pumps were off. Unfortunately, most were worthless. This is the best picture of the group.

And I recently mentioned that I found a very strange little creature in my zoos. Now this won't stand out for you until you stare at the picture for a few seconds. It appears to be what I've found referred to as an "Orange Ball Anemone". I did a google search, and the pages I found it listed it was stated that it is not an anemone at all, but is in the mushroom family. It tends to only come out at night to feed. I have a few tiny ones in the refugium that are not in a spot to photograph them, and am now seeing them here and there in my reef since I know what I'm looking for. They are never out when the lights are on. If I ever get a remote flash, I might be able to get a decent picture of this creature. Just know that the torso of this 'anemone' is clear, and the tip of each branch has the small tiny colorful orange ball. Dead center, if you can find it looking at this picture, there is a small mouth that is a vertical line. I know this one is very tough to see!

And the other thing is unknown currently. I thought it might be a nudibranch but it doesn't seem to be moving at all. I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe it is a tiny clam.

Speaking of Nudibranchs, I still come across my Lettuce Nudibranchs from time to time.

that looks exactly like the zoa eating nudies I had in my tank...
Old 03/22/2005, 02:15 AM
TRC Leader

Are you talking about my Lettuce Nudibranchs from the final two pictures? They eat algae.

http://melevsreef.com/id/lettuce_nudibranch.html
Old 03/22/2005, 05:22 AM
Registered Member

Marc,

Your tank is absolutely beautiful! I love the new skimmer!

I know you said you didn't get a chance to work on your new sump! Just wondering when you think you can get it done so we all can see some pics of it?
Old 03/22/2005, 06:17 AM
Premium Member

fordrangr,

[welcome]

If nobody's told you yet. I'm sure Marc is busy on the sump. We'd all like a picture of it. We've only RECENTLY heard about it.

Marc is great about pictures. You can't ask for a better resource either, he is ready and willing to help at anytime.
Old 03/22/2005, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

Sump, did I read sump? Lets see it Marc! I also moved on to a different salt, I tried TM Pro, we'll see how it goes.
Old 03/22/2005, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

Marc is busy getting stuff prepared for our NextWave conference this Saturday! You should all fly in for it!!!

Sump will come soon though. I was going to help him last weekend but we both got busy. I'm sure after this weekend he'll get cranking on it. That big piece of acrylic is taunting him in his garage!

Click the red house above to visit my thread
Old 03/22/2005, 04:18 PM
Premium Member

Taunt on it will, I have three sheets sitting in my garage waiting for me.
Old 03/22/2005, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

I just discovered two organisms in my tank that are just like your "orange ball anemone", except that the balls on the ends are white. When I illuminate them with my headlamp (white LEDs), I see green phosphorescence within the clear body. They retract into a rock crevice during the day, and expand at night.

I hope they grow, now that I have an indication that they are not evil. Sorry, no pics: my digicam had an unfortunate diving accident in Hawaii (apparently, Fantasea underwater camera casings can leak).

They're currently about one inch across when fully extended.
Old 03/22/2005, 06:03 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Since the topic was recently skimmers, I thought I would ask the experts on here. I have a TF(Top Fathom) 110A skimmer(discontinued, but works good for me!) rated for 100 gallons that is currently run by a Rio2500 pump (700 gph zero head). Before I stock my tank with valuable livestock it is time to switch out the pump. Could you guys recommend a replacement pump that is quiet, 600-800gph, and doesn't generate a lot of heat as my pump will be a in sump pump.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 03/22/2005, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

Always had good luck with Mags for in sump operation. A Mag 7 would be perfect.

Click the red house above to visit my thread
Old 03/22/2005, 06:26 PM
*----Reefer----*

Mag 9.5 I belive...
There is a chart somewhere on
petsolutions.com
or
marinedepot.com
I belive...
Old 03/22/2005, 06:44 PM
Reef Mania

That Mag7 will push 700gph with no head.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 03/22/2005, 06:51 PM
*----Reefer----*

I guess I have all the numbers in my head at 4'
Old 03/23/2005, 02:19 AM
TRC Leader

Well, I hate to report it, but the little Blue Torte frag I attempted to save wasn't even in its spot today. Apparently something decided to remove it last night. It was down in the sand, and finished RTNing....GRRRRR

55g of Kent saltwater is mixing now.

So besides losing a number of frags recently, the tank is doing well. It is really sad to lose these pieces, as I had big plans for them. I wanted them to grow and get huge and make the tank look spectacular. Now it feels like I'm starting over from scratch, in one section of the tank anyway.

All the fish are healthy, and the three anthias are sticking together which is so pretty to watch. All three tend to hide though, but I hope they'll come out in the open more often. Maybe if I had 60 of them!

The Powder Blue Tang hasn't been nibbling on corals lately, so maybe Nibbles is back to being good again.

I still see some of the Lettuce Nudibranchs in the tank each day, but they look smaller. There isn't a lot for them to graze upon, especially when they are far away from the bryopsis.

The new sump isn't built yet, and I'm anxiously wanting to get that done.
Old 03/23/2005, 02:34 AM
TRC Leader

Here is a picture of the blue torte as it RTNs from the base. RTN is Rapid Tissue Neucrosis - essentially it is dying. Rapid means it dies in mere hours. Sometimes you get lucky and have an STN event, which is "Slow" tissue neucrosis and you have some time to save the coral.

Here's what I thought I'd saved.

But as reported above, it was on the sand today, and when I looked for it, it was a goner.

Here's the rest of that piece, in case anything survived. Btw, look at the fuzzy pocillopora on the right. It has two bubbles on it - polyp bailout perhaps? The bubbles were gone later in the day.

Here's one more frag that I have, but I'm worried. The base is pinkish, and might do just like the other piece in the next couple of days.

Old 03/23/2005, 02:41 AM
TRC Leader

On a happier note, the Montipora foliosa seems to be doing well. It gets dark for some reason, but I'm hoping the new skimmer will clean the water far better, and I'll see better coloration soon. The Purple Tang loves to park under the coral in the shade.

A Lettuce Nudibranch traveling on the sand.

Here are those two frags I got months ago, both showing no signs of any problems and good growth.

Some new zoos I got last weekend.

I don't know what this is, but got a frag about the size of a Golden Dollar coin (those didn't stick around long, did they?)

Here is the Montipora hispida I rescued from the Mean Green Zoos a couple of months ago. Still doing well.

Old 03/23/2005, 03:13 AM
Premium Member

Sorry about the frags Marc. Great pics.