Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/12/2004, 11:14 AM
Monkey

Lookin good thrilride! 90 is a good size.

I'm contemplating an upgrade for the new place but I love my 90.
Old 05/12/2004, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

Thanks! Larger would have been nice but it took a lot of work to get the wife to allow this size tank.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 05/12/2004, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

Larger tanks are almost always better I'm stuck with my 90 now also.. but have gotten permission from the significant other for a 300+ if we ever move or build.

I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Old 05/12/2004, 11:54 AM
Proud Father

Quote:
Originally posted by thrlride
Thanks! Larger would have been nice but it took a lot of work to get the wife to allow this size tank.
I HEAR THAT!

I also upgraded from a 29 to a 90.

Mike
Old 05/12/2004, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

She really likes the 29 and the neat things that just pop up out of nowhere. I had to use the 'I want a tang' comment she made fuel this larger tank. I just hope I can set it up soon. We have our house for sale and I would hate to have to wait for a year or more to set this one up.

Old 05/12/2004, 12:16 PM
Proud Father

Quote:
Originally posted by thrlride
I had to use the 'I want a tang' comment
That is too funny. That is the SAME thing I said. lol
Old 05/12/2004, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

Gee - I am glad I found this thread.

I am building a 90 at the moment and I am up to I guess the same stage as you are.
Have a look at my pick under my profile to see where I am up to. Just a bare shell at the moment but covering with plywood and hoping to get a finish like yourself. Not much of a carpenter but my mate who is helped with the frame. I have a side cabinet as I have a MRC-2 and CR-2 to fit in and it just wont fit under the existing stand. I to had a 29 Gal and now doing the DIY upgrade.

Love to chat about the finishes you do on the stand. I was thinking of covering it with Formarcia laminate - but that is quite expensive.
Question - What are you usinf to seal the plywood - inside and out.

Andrew
Old 05/12/2004, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

Hello! I am using various different stuff to seal the stand and canopy. For the inside of both I am first sealing with Kilz. Then I am using severe weather exterior flat white paint since it reflects light better. Then I am using urethane caulk to seal the corners and edges. On the outside I am using a stain conditioner first followed by stain then sanding sealer. I will sand it with 400 grit sandpaper after that and then put on two coats of spar varnish.

Here is the canopy with the kilz painted on...

Old 05/12/2004, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

Question on the hood which i am working on at the moment.

Do you have an opening at the front only? At the moment i have space for a door on the front. I also have a hinge on the roof which the halliades will be fixed to. I am tossing up if i should have the side also accessable. i got my idea's from Flame angel. http://www.sjwilson.net/reef/ Look at the construction section on the right hand side tool bar. Even tho she has a basement for her sump she made a cool stand. I am trying to copy this and put the PS and CR in the side cabinet. I have the hood opening like Flame angles but not sure if i will bother with the side one in the hood.
Old 05/12/2004, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Nice setup!!
Old 05/12/2004, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

Wow, that is a nice setup she has! My canopy will open in the front. It will also have an opening at the top. Also, on the very front I will have two doors to give it some design and I will have them open also. The fans will either go in the back or in the side.

Old 05/12/2004, 11:35 PM
Premium Member

Just looked over the sump setup you had i I noticed that you have your Ref. then the PS section. I to was like this but after doing reading I was informed the the skimmer MUST be first and then the Ref. If the PS is after the REF then the PS will take out all the goodies that the Ref. are suppling to the tank.

i think that was correct..
Old 05/13/2004, 06:17 AM
Premium Member

Thanks! I'll do some research on that. That would really screw up my baffles if that is the case.

Old 05/13/2004, 07:41 AM
Proud Father

Quote:
Originally posted by MacnReef
BTW, did you use 1"x1" on the canopy of 1"x2"? From the pictures it looks like 1"x2".

Thanx!
Mike
Old 05/13/2004, 08:18 AM
Premium Member

Mike,

I used 2 x 2 which comes out to actually 1 3/8" instead of 2".

Old 05/13/2004, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

I had to look back to see if you actually asked that. Sorry, I missed it.

Old 05/13/2004, 08:32 AM
Proud Father

Don't worry about it. Just trying to figure out what I need to start building mine. What size screws did you use?

Mike
Old 05/13/2004, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

I used 2" screws attaching the plywood to the frame and I used 2 1/2 screws to attach the frame together. I used screws that were made for wood decks as they are already coated. The screws were phillips head but also could be drilled with a square head. I used the square head as it made it easier. Make sure to counter sink and pre-drill the hole so the wood doesn't split.

Old 05/13/2004, 08:59 AM
Proud Father

Will do Thanx! BTW, GREAT JOB!

Can't wait to see the finished reef.
Old 05/13/2004, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

The finished reef will be a long ways off as I can't set it up till we move, and I can't move until my house sells. The finished hood and stand should be done in several weeks though.

On a side note, I bought two external pumps yesterday. Both are Little Giant 4-MDQX models. I got both brand new for $166 shipped. Hopefully that is a good price...

Old 05/13/2004, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

I had the water from my new RO/DI tested at my LFS. The reading came back at 10 after about 15 gallons run through it. Then the owner said his TDS meter only goes down to ten so it could possibly be 0. I ordered a TDS meter off ebay so we'll see when it arrives. Not bad for $66.00 delivered.

Old 05/13/2004, 11:57 AM
Proud Father

For the pumps, was it $166 for both?
Old 05/13/2004, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

Yes, $166.00 for both shipped using USPS priority mail with shipping.

Old 05/13/2004, 12:04 PM
Proud Father

That is incredible! Are you going to use both on your 90? Where did you get them?

Mike
Old 05/13/2004, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

I am using one for the return pump and the other for the closed loop. I'm sure both are overkill but I can dial them back. I got them from a seller on ebay. If you want I can find out if he has anymore. I think he has a 3 series right now for sale.