Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 02/05/2004, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

looks great!
Old 02/05/2004, 09:58 AM
Space Cowboy

The only thing I dont' like about the idea of 8 outputs is the associated head loss from the friction in 8 pipes, I like the idea of a 4-1"outputmodel though, all 4 corners sounds like a pretty good deal to me. If the revolving discharge heads are cheap, I might get one to check it out, but I really hate having obstructions in my tank.

Any thoughts on discounts for RC members to check em' out and give some feedback?
Old 02/05/2004, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

I'm going to upgrade my circulation in my tank, I'm keeping a eye on this thread. Sound very interresting.
Old 02/05/2004, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Looks great. My wife desparately wants me to get the powerheads out of the tank. Can a closed loop be run with an overflow? currently, the overflow runs down to a basement sump and fuge. I've been brainstorming of ways to add a pump up by the tank that used the same overflow. I guess I could add a second sump under the tank that had a bulkhead that drained down to the sump in the basement. In the upper sump I could put in a mag12 and feed it back to the circulation device. Everything should be self balancing, right?
Old 02/05/2004, 10:47 AM
Space Cowboy

you have to check to see if your overflow can handle it, otherwise you might have to "bore" it out a little more (make the inlets bigger - i had to do this with my aga stock overflow) It is usually easier to add a bulkhead near the bottom of your tank (in the back where it will be hidden by live rock) and put a good cover over it so that nothing gets sucked into the pump. There are lots of ways to do it, search around on RC for closed-loops and you'll find one that works for you.
Old 02/05/2004, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Typically you just drill a hole through the tank with a bulkhead and connect that pipe right to your pump for a closed loop. A lot of people have also just used a pair of elbows to make a pipe come up and over the top lip of the tank then back down below the water. Once you get a closed loop primed, it shouldn't lose it's prime unless you take it apart for cleaning. Eitherway, make sure you put a strainer on the intake so you don't suck any critters in.
Old 02/05/2004, 10:53 AM
My guard dog!

Well I received a price quote on the 3/4" input with four 3/4" outputs. The pice is $199.
Old 02/05/2004, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Does anyone know what the min - max water flow and/or pressure these need?

I especially like the drop-down swirls. So long as they don't need excessive, frequent cleaning.
Old 02/05/2004, 11:06 AM
Moved On

What comes with that $199. is it just the unit? Swirls and tubing extra?
Old 02/05/2004, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H20ENG
"Hopefully it’s somewhat affordable"

Define "somewhat".
Well when compared to a 1-1/2" Motorized Ball Valve I guess anything under $500 could be considered "Somewhat"
Old 02/05/2004, 12:34 PM
Crap Under User Name

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by LowCel
Well I received a price quote on the 3/4" input with four 3/4" outputs. The pice is $199.
Considering that's about the price of a single outlet SeaSwirl, it's not that bad!

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 02/05/2004, 12:39 PM
Fish Addict

I gotta agree w/ MarkS and dwall. It isn't all that bad honestly. I may consider redoing my plumbing to play w/one of these--use this instead of my double SCWD return setup.
Old 02/05/2004, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

That seems reasonable to me, especially considering that it is the latest and greatest thing, and there is nothing else like it out there. Do you have any other prices? What other sizes do the 4-outlet models come in?
Mike
Old 02/05/2004, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikefish
That seems reasonable to me, especially considering that it is the latest and greatest thing, and there is nothing else like it out there. Do you have any other prices? What other sizes do the 4-outlet models come in?
Mike
He can make the inputs and outputs what ever size you want. 3/4, 1'', 1.5''
The motor runs at 1 RPM, so an 8 way unit will switch every 7.5 seconds, and a 4 way will switch every 15 seconds. You can have it go through, one return at a time, or it can be setup to run 2 at a time.
Sounds like a cool unit.

The 8-way's are 379.00.( I think )

sounds like a really cool device.
Old 02/05/2004, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

somebody buy one, take pics of the setup, and let us know how it works ;p
Old 02/05/2004, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

This seems similar in concept to a DYI "wavemaker" that I remember seeing on someone's web site... it was sort of a 2-way version of this.

It consisted of a shaft with holes bored at opposite angles, allowing for the redirection to one of two outputs. It was driven by rotating the shaft with a motor as opposed to turning a disc as in this design...

does anyone remember seeing that and know the link to the web site.
Old 02/05/2004, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

Oh,
And he's working on a video right now. Should be out soon.

The units can ship as early as 1 week for the 8 way's, and 2 weeks for the 4 ways.
Old 02/05/2004, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

Randy,
What kind of power is needed for the motor. I would think it would be DC.
Old 02/05/2004, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

Any idea what this exactly is 'the soon to be available night mode sequence will enable you to stop the main drive to exit a particular outlet port, this is ideally sent to a spray bar to dissipate lighter flows for the evening hours, also a good position to stop on during feeding.'? Sounds like manual intervention is required to do this? Not a photo eye of some type like others use or a button?
Old 02/05/2004, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reef150
This seems similar in concept to a DYI "wavemaker" that I remember seeing on someone's web site... it was sort of a 2-way version of this.

It consisted of a shaft with holes bored at opposite angles, allowing for the redirection to one of two outputs. It was driven by rotating the shaft with a motor as opposed to turning a disc as in this design...

does anyone remember seeing that and know the link to the web site.
this one right?

http://avdil.gtri.gatech.edu/RCM/RCM...ionSystem.html
Old 02/05/2004, 01:32 PM
I yam what I yam

Someone get one quick and test it out!
I'm designing my 190 set up and will be starting the wall construction next weekend. I want to keep all of the powerheads out of the tank. I think this would be great and even cheapier than running several SCWD's. I'm defenetaly taging along on this one.
I do remember seeing some drawings on here somewhere about the design that Reef150 is talking about. Just don't know where it was. Anybody remember? I do remember that it was a tube design.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 02/05/2004, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Damn, those designs are so well refined compared to the diy versions that have been around for years! I want one just to be able to hold it in my hand!

Actually, the "Revolutions" thing is the revelation there. That's a completely new concept as far as I know. I'm assuming that it works like a retractable ballpoint pen. This guy is brilliant. Still, I'm not sure that I'd really have a use for something that rotates 360 degrees - it'd really have to be in the center of the tank, no?
Mike
Old 02/05/2004, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

adjustable rotation would be best. 180, 90, etc.
Old 02/05/2004, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Chris................sign me up!!!!!!
This looks Bi*chin cool.

When I get back from vacation Im jumpin on this!

-Greg-
Old 02/05/2004, 03:04 PM
RC Admin

Here's what I like the best:

"we will not not stop here but continue to improve, already plans are in the testing phase for an update, all updates will be exchange modules with credits being issued for components exchanged"

Mike

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc