Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 03/04/2005, 01:59 AM
Premium Member

Doug,, Im in atlanta now,. This is the night the Corals Left marcs tank to come back home to me.. I will update tommorow and let you know how they fare'd the trip,, I need to come see yalls tank in woodstock..

Nathan
Old 03/07/2005, 02:59 AM
Premium Member

WOW ! WOW!!!!!!

WOW!! I just read all 108 pages (sick at home this weekend)! Great setup with great documentation!!
You two need to buy a TiVo. Some say it can even save a marriage. We have 4 TiVo’s, one for every TV. My wife does a lot of traveling during the week for work and when she comes home there is always something for her to watch. It keeps us both happy.
Good luck in the future with your tank and please keep the thread going.

Jon
Premium Member

WOW ! WOW!!!!!!

WOW!! I just read all 108 pages (sick at home this weekend)! Great setup with great documentation!!
You two need to buy a TiVo. Some say it can even save a marriage. We have 4 TiVo’s, one for every TV. My wife does a lot of traveling during the week for work and when she comes home there is always something for her to watch. It keeps us both happy.

Jon
Premium Member

WOW ! WOW!!!!!!

Jon
Old 03/07/2005, 03:01 AM
Premium Member

Sorry, I don't know how that happened. ????
Old 03/07/2005, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Hey Doug...

Where are those pictures you promised us?
Genesis 1:21 So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that moves, with which the waters abounded, according to their kind, ... And God saw that it was good. NKJV
Old 03/07/2005, 11:26 AM
TRC Leader

Jon, you read the entire thread, and your comments are about televison? You obviously still have a fever. Go back to bed and read the thread again.
Old 03/07/2005, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Jon, you read the entire thread, and your comments are about televison? You obviously still have a fever. Go back to bed and read the thread again.

Melev,
Their tank and setup is amazing!! They get two thumbs up for all their hard work; because we all know it is not easy to have a piece of the ocean in our homes. It is great (and rare) when someone does the research first before taking the plunge in to SW. For that, I commend them.

As for the TV stuff. If you have a TiVo you can cut a one hour show down to 40 min, no commercials!! This will give you more time to be watching or playing (closed loop) with your tank instead.

Also, I did read through your entire 280 gal thread this weekend. Where do you find the time, you make sumps, post here and keep that tank running as amazing as it looks. You have been a true help to me and a lot of fellow RCers. I really don’t post much but I read everything here and you name is everywhere. Thank you!!!!

And yes I'm still sick, Dam!!

Jon
Old 03/07/2005, 05:38 PM
TRC Leader

Jon, I well know about PVRs and VCRs. I still have 5 VCRs hooked up in my house, so I can record anything I like and watch it later. I hate how networks make us choose one show over another during the same hour, so I just bought more VCRs until I had all my options covered. Even have some on battery backup so they keep recording if the power turns off. So watching a show in 44 minutes has been my routine for years.

I do work sometimes too.
Old 03/08/2005, 07:15 PM
Latte Man

Hey Nathan! Welcome back to Hotlanta! Feel free to contact us if you want to stop by sometime. We'd love to show you the system. I look forward to hearing that the coral shipment went smoothly and all your critters are safe in their relocated home.

Thanks Jon for the kind comments on our tank. It was indeed a lot of work preceded by plenty of spirited planning. We learned more than I would have ever expected along the way and have had the opportunity to help others with our experiences. Although all 108 pages don’t contain valuable information, embedded here and there are jewels that have certainly helped make this effort more rewarding. As for recording devices we purchased our first DVR which, along with two other VCRs, allows us to record just about everything we're currently following. I have to say that the DVR has really changed the way we watch TV. Pausing live shows along with skipping effortlessly through commercials is a HUGE improvement!

As for the pictures I promised, they're coming... really, they are... trust me Time lately hasn't been on my side with business travel out of state coupled with other requirements for my time. Rather than promise a time I'll just say... soon

And Marc, that's a great tip about using a UPS or battery backup to power the DVR. We rarely lose the cable signal even when power goes out. I'll have to set something up.

Back soon
Old 03/08/2005, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

Hi Doug,
Great threads like yours give people a lot more info than you would think. It is a great learning tool to see the mistakes and successes that people make a long the way.

Now, if Marc would come out of the 80's and buy a DVR he would have more time to spend on his 280gal tank.

Looking forward to the pixs Doug.
Old 03/08/2005, 07:52 PM
GAR! Use the Force

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Jon, I well know about PVRs and VCRs. I still have 5 VCRs hooked up in my house, so I can record anything I like and watch it later. I hate how networks make us choose one show over another during the same hour, so I just bought more VCRs until I had all my options covered. Even have some on battery backup so they keep recording if the power turns off. So watching a show in 44 minutes has been my routine for years.

I do work sometimes too.
jeez, man. you DO like tv don't you

sorry for the hijack....
Old 03/16/2005, 07:29 PM
Latte Man

Hello all!

Thought I'd post the latest status. We've been noticing a buildup of GHA on the LR and after spending a bit of time wondering why this might be it dawned on me that the VHO bulbs over the tank are the original set installed when we started the system up in Feb 04 I replaced both bulbs today and expect that might help reduce the GHA... I hope!

Add to that our water parameters were a bit askew, likely due to switching over to Oceanic salt. Seems many who've done so experienced a significant rise in Ca and a commensurate lowering of Alk. Our latest test showed Ca at 500 and Alk at 2.29 meq/l. I've stopped the Kalkwasser temporarily and am now dosing straight RO/DI with Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (5 tsp.) mixed in. I'll check parameters again tomorrow to see if the Alk has started shifting up along with a reduction in Ca.

We also discovered that the Phosphates were up a bit to 0.15 These have been at zero for a very long time so I must start searching for the culprit. I understand that the rise in Phosphates has also contributed to the increased GHA so a bag of Phosban is now sitting in the sump for a couple days.

Lesson learned: Don't wait 4 months between water tests! I am certainly embarrassed that we waited so long to test but am glad we did! Could have been a much more difficult lesson to learn but we dodged a bullet this time. Complaceny is not compatible with healthy reef keeping! Shame, shame, shame
Old 03/16/2005, 11:13 PM
Premium Member

Sorry to hear about the GHA outbreak....

How long have you been using the Oceanic salt?

I recently had a small algae outbreak after switching to Oceanic salt and am now switching back to Instant Ocean. I've been mostly algae free for month's, not about to risk it now...

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it"
- Henry Ford
Old 03/17/2005, 06:22 AM
Latte Man

Michael,

I've been mixing IO and Oceanic for about 6 months now but only recently (last month) switched over to all Oceanic. If I'd been doing water tests in the last 4 months I would have noticed the Ca rise and Alk drop. Many others using Oceanic have seen this as well, which is why I'm convinced. I'll be going back to IO now as well... pity they don't sell the 200 gal buckets anymore
Old 03/17/2005, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

Hey Doug,,, I dont know if you followed marc's thread on shipping of the corals,, it was a disaster,, 80% loss.. fedex had tossed the boxes around like they were textiles or something,, all the corals were shattered and the bags were punctured. the 37 lb box weighed maybe 18 , and the 45 lb box might have barely weighed 30lbs.. Luckily after Myself , Marc, and my frined mike that works at a local LFS wrote letters they have issued check for the insured ammount we placed on them and refunded the shipping cost,, ( Freggin 270$ !!!!!! ) anyway. my tank is slowly coming along... im taking my time because i want it to level out after trying to save some of the pieces.

Nathan
Old 03/17/2005, 02:58 PM
Reef Mania

We want more pictures.... We love pictures...

I have used nothing but IO and things are going well, so why change. I had thought about trying a different salt mix to help bring up my Calcium since I have a hard time keeping it above 400ppm, but I guess there is always a little hard work in our wonderful creations.

Middle of tank.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 03/17/2005, 06:10 PM
Latte Man

Nathan,

No, I haven't followed your shipping saga. How incredibly disappointed you must have been No doubt the $270.00 from FedEx was hardly adequate to soothe the loss, but it probably helped a little If you need any frags you are welcome to some of our zoos and montis. Ours are coming along just great and we'd be happy to help you out as you recover.

I'm not sure exactly where you're living here in the Atlanta area but there's an LFS in Marietta called Cappuccino Bay Aquarium who has, hands down!, the most incredible stock of corals. Bobby (co-owner) really takes pride in his shop and stocks a vast assortment of specimens. 95% of our coral buys are from him. You should check him out if you can.

Last edited by dmiannay; 03/17/2005 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03/17/2005, 07:12 PM
Latte Man

Cathy called on my cell as I was heading home this evening to say that our Copper Banded Butterfly died today We picked him up a couple months ago to help control the tubeworks and Aptasia we were seeing in increasing numbers. He certainly made quick work of the "pests" but then wouldn't eat anything we fed the tank. We tried all the standard frozen stuff including mysis and bloodworms but he would touch a thing. We couldn't really tell if he was doing well or not but he sure wasn't growing. It is difficult to sit here and think that we starved him to death but I'm afraid it's possible If we'd have thought that was happening sooner we'd have brought him back to the LFS. Another difficult lesson to learn.
Old 03/19/2005, 08:00 AM
Premium Member

This thread was split due to performance issues. You can find the subsequent portion of the thread here:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=553576

If you want to know - ask. But I won't promise you'll like the answer.