Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01/11/2008, 10:37 AM
15 & Over Club

Question SPS guru_s

Since the only thing that I absolutely know for certain about SPS is how to kill it...well not quite... I am however, really taking baby steps as far as Coral ID. Ran some searches on back and forth on the vernon site...maybe I just got frustrated with the search and layout. Plus my corals range from 2 inches to 8 inches wide and not 3 feet so comparison is tough now and then with their "wild" pictures.

At any rate.
Anyone know what these are, IE scientific AND layman or common name if applicable?

This is coral 1A

This is 1B or same coral different shot

This is one of one of coral 2 I picked up a frag of this 3 years ago. It grew from small 3/4 of inch frag in a growing DOWN and out encrusting pattern 1st. Then and only until recently has it began growing upward. Rather slow growing despite medium to high Ca addition and 500 watts of 14K DE Phoenix bulbs and being rather higher in the tank in nice fluctuatiing flow.

This is coral 3A When I picked up a frag of this...they called it a green acro. It seems a bit hairy for that...and yet it's different than a millie.

This is coral 3B

This is one of one of coral 4 This coral started out greenish olive with the blue tips. While other corals have not changed too much this one is almost a light tan now I assume due to 14K's.

This is one of one of coral 5 Party who sold this called it acro and didn't know the name, but it's polyps don't look quite right for acro. They are kinda circular looking almost like poci...which I do not think at least it is poci. Too upright growth habit I believe.

Tell me what you think.