Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/10/2008, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone else ever.....

had a tang get his mouth and nose stuck in a clam? Awhile back I had a clam snap closed on my sailfin. Is this common?
Old 01/10/2008, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

Not my pic.. Got it from another thread.

Old 01/10/2008, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Oh man. That pic is great. Carnivore clam?
Old 01/10/2008, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

LOL thats awesome! Tooo funny.

Check out my 90G build. Click the little red house.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

Yeah a long time ago I had a butterfly get killed by a clam. It shut closed on its nose and I could not pry it open in time. Butterfly died pretty fast actually.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Just to throw this out there...

That isnt a tang. Its an angel ??? or is that some special tang that mimics a juvenile angel?

And angel's are not safe around clams right? Because they will pick on the mantles of clams?

Someone has to go I would say. Either the angel or the clams.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

oooppps.. after rereading, that was someone else's pic... lol
Old 01/10/2008, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

It is someone else's pic, but it's a Koran Angel, just to answer the question.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by MR PALM BEACH
LOL thats awesome! Tooo funny.
I'm sure the fish wasn't thinking that was awesome or funny!

Don't you think that was a little cruel? Just my opinion!
Old 01/11/2008, 02:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Eddie H
It is someone else's pic, but it's a Koran Angel, just to answer the question.
Emperor angel . Korans don't have those spots towards the tail.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:48 AM
Hydrophilic

Quote:
Originally posted by crt81

Im sure the tank owner wasnt taking bets- pitting the angel against the clam like 2 pit bulls in a ring. I dont think there is anything cruel about one animal trying to get a natural meal, and said meal defending itself (quite successfully apparently).

Ive not had a fish get stuck, but we have a 12x8" gigas at work that managed to catch a piece of my hand once- left a nice mark. Sure glad it wasnt my face... lol..

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 01/11/2008, 03:22 AM
Huge Member

there was also a picture of a long nose butterfly that did the same thing.

Personally, I can't help but laugh.

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 01/11/2008, 05:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crt81

I agree. I find it strange that anyone could possibly be amused to see a beautiful fish die a cruel death because of an inappropriate tank mate.

It's our responsibility to make certain that the animals in our care are provided the safest and best environment possible.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

Where does that responsibility come from? I don't think I have to do anything. Besides the safest and best environment is the ocean.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

If that is what you think, samtheman, I hope you don't keep anything in your aquarium.

The idea that once we put these animals in your aquarium you can do anything you like to them is immoral. We don't accept this for dogs, for example, so why is it acceptable for fish. If you put two dogs in a pen and let one kill the other, few would laugh and you would be prosecuted under the law.

As I recall, the original poster of this photo also thought it was funny. There isn't anything to laugh at here.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

Who would put an Angel in a tank with a clam? Thats just asking for trouble IMO.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

samtheman,
It's quite obvious I was referring to the captive environment.

Our responsibility begins the moment we choose to keep any live animal in captivity.
They have certain keeping requirements and needs, that's OUR responsibility to supply those needs.

But I'm certain you already understood my reply before you posted your remarks.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tydtran
If that is what you think, samtheman, I hope you don't keep anything in your aquarium.

The idea that once we put these animals in your aquarium you can do anything you like to them is immoral. We don't accept this for dogs, for example, so why is it acceptable for fish. If you put two dogs in a pen and let one kill the other, few would laugh and you would be prosecuted under the law.

As I recall, the original poster of this photo also thought it was funny. There isn't anything to laugh at here.
I think my reefing skills are quite good. What does that have to do with this responsibility I supposedly have? What do you think feeder fish are for? Pest anemone are routinely killed. Let’s hang everyone who feeds animals whether dead or alive. This goes for angle worms while fishing and fish eggs in caviar.
Does my "responsibility" extend to chickens, pigs, and cows?
IF I am going to act responsibly, I need to understand what the rules are. Please fill me in.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by samtheman
I think my reefing skills are quite good. What does that have to do with this responsibility I supposedly have? What do you think feeder fish are for? Pest anemone are routinely killed. Let’s hang everyone who feeds animals whether dead or alive. This goes for angle worms while fishing and fish eggs in caviar.
Does my "responsibility" extend to chickens, pigs, and cows?
IF I am going to act responsibly, I need to understand what the rules are. Please fill me in.
samtheman,
This is bordering on the absurd. It's become quite obvious you are just wanting to stir up emotions and argue.
Seems any further attempt at reasonable discussion with you on responsible reef keeping would be a waste of time.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

I agree with Sam the man...aptasia and other "pest" creatures are killed or discarded because they are considered pests or disturbances and no one thinks twice about it...Im sure that there is tons of threads of people holding out a crab, worm, nudibranch that they are asking for advice on whether to exterminate and people arnt considering feelings...although this person with the fish thinks it is funny, that is not the intention as they purchase livestock.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

To gain clarity, I think some distinctions have to be made.

There is no issue with killing animals for food. There is also no issue with killing unwanted pests in the aquarium, particularly if they pose a threat to animals that are wanted in the aquarium. Your only responsibility in these situations is to do it humanely. So yes, you do have a responsibility to chickens, pigs, and cows. You can kill them and eat them if you like, just don't torture them in the process. This responsibility derives simply from your decency as a human being and, obviously, is not unduly burdensome.

Now the issue is different with the clam and angel fish. Your responsiblty here exists at different levels and derives from different considerations. First, you have a responsibility to yourself to not purposely destroy your property. What is the sense in buying expensive animals and risk them killing each other by pairing incompatible species. Second, you have a responsibility to avoid the senseless destruction of life which is compounded by the fact that the lives you destroy were brought to your aquarium at considerable cost. Tridacna clams are under intense pressure in the wild. Why pair them up with fish that want to eat them. If you want to feed your fish a clam, go buy a 50cent little neck and give that to them. Likewise, human being risk their lives to bring an angel fish to your tank. Why pair it with a clam that can kill it. Third, their is a level of responsibility that derives from your dignity as a human being. It is undignified for a person to do something manifestly stupid. It is even more undignified to laugh at it or derive pleasure from.

My basic point is take good care of your animals and avoid unnecessary deaths. Is there any controversial here.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Jenny just thinks the cute ones should live.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ernestlives
Jenny just thinks the cute ones should live.
I never said any such thing or implied it. Please don't put words in my mouth.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

What happened to my thread? I just wanted to know if clams commonly snap on fish. Why does this always happen with threads? People read way too far into things and everything gets thrown out of proportion. Everyone holds an opinion and that is not a felony!
Old 01/11/2008, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone in this debate ever killed an animal because of lack of information? Did you consider your responsibility of researching what you just killed before you bought and killed it.

The picture could've been due to a lack of information. It happens a bunch in this hobby.

I personally don't think it's neccessarily a funny picture, but it is nature at it's finest IMO. Kill or be killed.

Even though some people find humor in the picture doesn't necessarily mean that they would purposely recreate the situation. It's doubtful that the fish suffered much, if at all, and the clam probably cost more anyway.