Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

DSB and Big Skimmers?

I have always had excellent sps color and growth in my tank with my DSB using a small skimmer (75 gallon with a prizm, yes a prizm) Ever since upgrading tank and skimmer that has gone in the toilet. Is a DSB an efficient enough method of filtration where I don't need a big skimmer for sps? I upgraded to a 120 with an octopus nw200 slightly modded. So I have two theories. One, I screwed up my sand bed when I stirred it all up and transferred it to the new tank. Two, I'm skimming way to much cause my sand bed is already an effective form of filtration. Anyone have any experience or advice?
Old 01/10/2008, 12:01 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

I'd say you're barking up the wrong tree.....

What type of livestock do you have?
Old 01/10/2008, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

I would strongly recommend a skimmer. You almost certainly stirred up the sand bed during the move. It will take time to eliminate the nutrients that were released and for the sandbed to become re-established - a skimmer will be CRITICAL in this process.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m2434
I would strongly recommend a skimmer. You almost certainly stirred up the sand bed during the move. It will take time to eliminate the nutrients that were released and for the sandbed to become re-established - a skimmer will be CRITICAL in this process.
This was eight months ago, and yeas, the skimmer was rocking the whole time. Still not seeing any results. Zero algae of any kind thouhg.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

You may have another issue...

more info about the problem, your current setup and your previous setup, including equipment and parametes might help...
Old 01/10/2008, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

I have eliminated all other variables. params are the same as before. equipment didn't change much, just upgraded to account for bigger system.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

IMO its not the skimmer, if anything it's too small for a 120...

Good luck
Old 01/10/2008, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

I agree with above, skimmer isnt the issue. Something else is causing the problem. Has the change been recent where your having an issue or slowly gradually taking place? SPS like clean clean clean water.
Old 01/11/2008, 03:36 AM
Huge Member

The skimmer will only pull out available nutrients BEFORE they go through the nitrogen cycle. That is, before they turn to ammonia, nitrite, then nitrate. The DSB, if it is established, holds bacteria that actually process the wastes that aren't picked up by skimming/water changes. The wastes and leftover foods get broken down to ammonia, nitrite, then nitrate.

Keep your skimmer going, it can only help.

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64