Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Magdrive heat

I got a free magdrive 9.5 from a friend, and used it on my sump that I created for my 40 gallon tank. The pump is in a 5 gallon tank that is gravity fed from a trashcan that recieves the overflow. I noticed today that my coral seemed to be mostly closed up, well 85 degrees does that I guess. I turned off my 150w heater, and will see how much that goes down, and then switch to opposite lighting for fuge instead of 24 hour if tank temp doesnt decrease. Would there be any other remedies besides buying smaller pump or getting chiller. I realize a 9.5 in 5 gallon is small but 55 stand is very narrow.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

Mags run pretty hot. Here's an idea.

Build a platform of some sort in the sump. Install the mag on it so that it operates out of the water. Attatch a 90 degree elbow on the input so it reaches the bottom of the sump. Now mags are not self priming so what you have going for you is that when you shut off the pump the water will rise in the sump. When it has risin to the highest, the intake of the pump will be submerged so it will have water to restart itself. By keeping the pump out of the water, and they are also meant to be run inline as well as submerged, it will transfer less heat to your water.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Mags are great pumps but I agree, they run really hot. Pmolan's idea sounds good to me. However, a fan or two pointed at the water would probably work just as good. The only issue is you will also increase evaporation.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

So only have the pump raised as high out of the water as the water is going to rise? With it in the water, when I turn it off, the 5 gallon fills up all the way, so I have litte room for mistakes. I have made too many mini floods already messing with this and my ro unit in the past month. also the discalimer says only run submerged.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:46 PM
Team RC Member

The Mag will produce the same amount of heat submerged or outside the sump. The water inside flows around the motor windings in the potted material and picks up heat either way.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

My mag 9.5 heats 100 gallon total volume about 4 degrees.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:49 PM
Huge Member

My Mag 9.5 doesn't heat mine at all.

I have it on a 40B with a 20G sump, and my tank temp will go as low as I let it.

I think that alot of the heat will be produced if you have the return line restricted, rather than diverted.

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 01/09/2008, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Careful running it externally:

I'm sure this was an anomaly, but none the less, it could have caused serious damage.
Frogspawn
Kenya Tree (large)
Button Polyps
Xenia
GSP/PSP
Richmond Tricolor
Unknown Blue Tip Acro
Torch
Anthelia
Old 01/09/2008, 11:21 PM
Team RC Member

Returning flow back to the sump actually makes a centrifugal pump run hotter not cooler. When you restrict the discharge side you reduce the amount of work the pump is required to do and reduce the wattage consumed meaning less heat produced.
When you return part of the flow to the sump you are requiring the pump to work harder to pump the total volume of water even though you are only using part of the water. More work equals more power consumed whcih equals more heat produced.
All pumps create heat as they are not 100% efficient. Some are better than others though.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:41 PM
Evan in colorado

My mag keeps my heater from running most of the time.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phurst
Careful running it externally:

I'm sure this was an anomaly, but none the less, it could have caused serious damage.
What size Mag was that?? R
Old 01/10/2008, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

Seven.
Frogspawn
Kenya Tree (large)
Button Polyps
Xenia
GSP/PSP
Richmond Tricolor
Unknown Blue Tip Acro
Torch
Anthelia
Old 01/10/2008, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

I do return it back to the sump and it is restricted to the main display another reason may be that I run 3/4" pvc all the way through and I think someone said it should be at least an inch. So say I created another diversion but to a different part of the tank, should that at least lower the temp since I should be able to open up the ball valve more?
Old 01/10/2008, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

Maybe a smaller pump would end up being best?
Old 01/10/2008, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

Its winter now and its giving you problems. Just wait till the summer and it will be worse.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

I disconnect my heater in the summer. My Mag 7 and T-5's are all the heat I need.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Pmolan, that is what I was worried about, 83 degrees, no heater, no fuge light.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AZDesertRat
Returning flow back to the sump actually makes a centrifugal pump run hotter not cooler. When you restrict the discharge side you reduce the amount of work the pump is required to do and reduce the wattage consumed meaning less heat produced.
When you return part of the flow to the sump you are requiring the pump to work harder to pump the total volume of water even though you are only using part of the water. More work equals more power consumed whcih equals more heat produced.
All pumps create heat as they are not 100% efficient. Some are better than others though.
From what I thought I knew about electricity. This would be wrong. So I put my kill a watt meter on my 9.5 and got 76 watts. I closed the ball valve a bit, and it went down to 69 watts. I don't know how this effects the heat output or lifespan, but it definitely lowers the wattage.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:57 PM
Huge Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefergeorge
From what I thought I knew about electricity. This would be wrong. So I put my kill a watt meter on my 9.5 and got 76 watts. I closed the ball valve a bit, and it went down to 69 watts. I don't know how this effects the heat output or lifespan, but it definitely lowers the wattage.
I think it works that way because the more closed you have it, the more the impellar is just spinning the water around, rather than actually moving it. Didn't think of it that way till now.

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64