Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 06/09/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Jake's First Reef Tank

I've been researching reef tank setups for almost 8 months devouring thread after thread of info. I've always wanted to finally start up a tank but everything was always so expensive. I'm 17, I work a minimum wage job and I'm no good at saving money (constantly going out with friends doesn't help with that either).

After reading about the success people have had with modified Odyssea equipment (notably the skimmers and light fixtures) I decided that I would try out a DIY-reef on a budget.

It's garage sale season, so I finally picked up a tank on Thursday. It's a 29-gallon tank /w stand that I got for $20. I've decided to drill it and setup a small sump with the skimmer hanging on the side.

The tank will be in the basement (for cooling in the summer) with a sump in the sump closet behind it.

I ordered some of the main components (plumbing, a return pump, etc.) online the night I got it and went out to my LFS (for bulkheads), HD and walmart yesterday to get stuff to drill it.

So, here's the tank:

And here's what I picked up at Walmart for $25:

Along with a familiar drill bit:

Here's how it went down:

I did that for both the drain and return.
Old 06/09/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Now for the overflow...

6" PVC + A Jigsaw + Krylon Fusion =

Time for some silicone:

Sloppy but at least there are no leaks.

I painted the back, bottom and sides with Krylon fusion. The only reason I painted the bottom was because I'm thinking about going barebottom but I haven't made my final decision.

Old 06/09/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

The guys over at savko were really quick with my shipment and I received my order in less than 36 hours (friday afternoon). Props to those guys...

I went with mostly black pvc simply because it looks 10x cooler and it's easier to see salt creep and what not. But mostly because it looks cool.

Here's how the plumbing turned out:

Only partially finished, I need to put in another order to Savko. I forgot a couple things (such as a way to attach the soft plumbing from the return pump to the hard plumbing of the return line).
Old 06/09/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Anyway....

I got my order from DFS today and I'm content for awhile at least.

Hydor Koralia 4

Ebo Jager 125w Heater

Seachem Reef Salt (my salt of choice after extensive reading)

I'll have more for you guys next week...

I can't wait to get some water in this baby!
Old 06/09/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

i have never seen anyone drill a hole like that. i have always seen the big hole saw. hope it worked out for you and good luck with your "reef on a budget"! i said the same thing and then the addiction kicked in. now i budget all my bills so i can go crazy on my tank!
Old 06/09/2007, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

How much did the bit and bulkhed cost? I didn't drill my tank becuase I thought it would be a PITA to get a bit... walmart has them... DOH!

Anyway tagging along.

Purple people eaters are racist.
Old 06/09/2007, 10:38 PM
Nothing to put here

Watch the heater in the rubbermaid... dont let it touch the sides or else it might melt a hole. Other than that the setup looks good, lots of planning. P.S., this is another 17 year old working part time to pay for this hobby right here.
Old 06/09/2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Looks good looks to be off to a nice start. tagging along.
Old 06/09/2007, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

Smile

Looking good!
Old 06/09/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Old 06/09/2007, 11:06 PM
Unregistered Member

Your're off to a great start.

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 06/09/2007, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

am3gross: I got the idea from this thread on RC. I hope to get addicted with this smaller setup so I'll save every last dime in order to make my dream tank happen.

three-spot: The bit-set cost $5.97 (+tax) at walmart it includes 2-diamond tipped bits; one for making starter holes and one for doing the actual cutting. Make sure you have a 3/32 collet (a standard-sized changeable fastener sorta-thing) for your rotary tool otherwise the bit won't fit right. You can pick up a collet set at Walmart that includes the correct size for $6.97 (+tax). The bulkheads cost 4.99 (+tax) at my LFS.

LobsterOfJustice: I wasn't planning to keep the heater like that; I just sorta threw it in there when I got it. I'll probably keep it in the middle of the rubbermaid away from the sides.

Landon B. and specialkb: Thanks for the support!
Old 06/10/2007, 01:05 AM
Moved On

Try mowing lawns for some extra cash. Last summer i made over $5,000 mowing lawns. I will get 3x as much money this year since i bought a rider and so i can do more lawns. And i am only 14. Tank looks great by the way.
Old 06/10/2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

If only more 37 year olds would do as much planning/research. Nice job Jake, looks like it's coming along great.
Old 06/10/2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

That is a really good start for a reef on a budget. Most people would've saved up and just bought an all in one type tank. Nice job!
Old 06/10/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

see ur a prime example of if u do the resaearch first it will def. pay off in the end. Looks awesome so far! keep us updated

X.....................................

Click the house for my thread
Old 06/11/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

I like it. Nice start!
Old 06/11/2007, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Nice job.!!
Old 06/11/2007, 06:51 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Awesome start.. It won't be long till you get the bigger tank. You'll love having the sump out of the stand... Impossible to see down in and really get in the stand.

I'm 17 too without a penny to my name cause of this hobby!
Old 06/11/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

good stuff
Old 06/11/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Waiting for more...
Old 06/11/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

I did a freshwater test of the plumbing today and there were no leaks. Not bad for my first time putting together PVC using only the stuff I've read online.

I've been going through my huge list of bookmarks and I was reading over an article at randystacye.com
and was thinking I may just build a DIY PVC skimmer.

My return pump should be here tomorrow. It's a Gen-X 1000; with head loss it should equal about 90gph which is about 3x turnover using only 18 watts. On most of the tanks I've read about huge return pumps just seem unnecessary and some of the most successful (and low cost) tanks have just enough turnover (2-3x) through the sump and an overpowered skimmer.

I'm currently scouring garage sales for another 29 gallon tank which fits perfectly in the space I have behind the tank in order to have a proper sump.

I'll have some more pics tomorrow of the leak test, but only if I can manage to get my camera cord back from my friend who borrowed it today.

On a side note, my koralia 4 seems to be vibrating a LOT (making a loud humming noise). I've sent an email to Drs. Foster and Smith about it to find out if it's normal or not and whether or not it will go away with time.

Last edited by xJake; 06/11/2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06/12/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Jake,
Just throwing out an option on the skimmer. Looks like the DIY cost them about $160, and I think an Octopus Needlewheel 150 would be pretty comparable and can be had for about $125.

Octopus Needlewheel 150
Old 06/12/2007, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Lookin' good so far!
Old 06/12/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

mayor10: If I were to build a DIY PVC skimmer it would definitely be recirculating simply because it doesn't cost but a few dollars extra for some plumbing and another couple uniseals. I would be able to get the skimmer out of the sump and make more room for the refugium. Also, I would be able to directly feed it from the drain bringing the dirtiest water right to the skimmer.

The only recirc skimmer from octopus comparable is this which is much more pricey. I appreciate the input though.