Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/10/2007, 10:52 AM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...97#post9442697
Old 03/10/2007, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

Hours is one thing..days? Yeah, that's not normal. There was a recommended Iwaki pump for the EV-240...how does it compare to the GenX? If the GenX is morepowerful then maybe that's the problem, you should be able to find flow graphs on the web to compare.

jds
Old 03/10/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Rating on pump. GenX PCX 40
Maximum flow-1190GPH/1140GPH@3.3'
Pressure rated for a maximum lift of 22ft.
Neptune Systems Aqua Controller II
Aqua Medic Kalkwasser Reactor
Aqua Logic Delta Chiller 1/4HP
25w Aqua UV
Lighting- 2 150W HQI 13K, 2 96 W PCs.
Old 03/10/2007, 05:14 PM
Jammin' with live rock

tristanbloor.....

It sounds like you are getting too much turbulance in the foam tower. I would add a gate valve to the pump feed line and turn it back until the water line is at the top of the box or just under with the air choked back some. It wasn't nessesary when mine was hooked up with the mag 9 probably because I had a 2ft. feed hose.
Old 03/11/2007, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

Thanks

Hey,
Sorry I am late on this I went out town this weekend. I just wanted to thank you all especially CapnKick, CaptainCoral, and Tennsquire. My AquaC 180 is now skimming like there is no tomorrow. The adjustments made have my bubbles looking like the pictures from this thread and I and my fish thank you all.

Thanks again,

Henry
Old 03/12/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainCoral
tristanbloor.....

It sounds like you are getting too much turbulance in the foam tower. I would add a gate valve to the pump feed line and turn it back until the water line is at the top of the box or just under with the air choked back some. It wasn't nessesary when mine was hooked up with the mag 9 probably because I had a 2ft. feed hose.
When the pump is on full the water level is at the top of the box. So I dont understand why there would be to much turbulance in there. Would a larger Tower fix the problem? Say 2" or 3"?
Thanks.
PV
Neptune Systems Aqua Controller II
Aqua Medic Kalkwasser Reactor
Aqua Logic Delta Chiller 1/4HP
25w Aqua UV
Lighting- 2 150W HQI 13K, 2 96 W PCs.
Old 03/12/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

PVsPlayHouse,
Can you tell us the size of your bubbles in your foam tower? The best way for me to tune mine is by watching the size of the bubbles created in the lower portion of the foam tower.

Most of the bubbles in the lower portion of my foam tower are really small (1-3 mm) while the top are just a little bigger.

Check out CaptainCoral's bubble link
Old 03/14/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Hello everyone I'm new to fish keeping. I got an AquaC Remora running with Maxi-Jet 1200 in my 29 gallon tank right now. I had it running for about 3 days now and just added some live rock. I've noticed it hasn't really been foaming much. All the foam stays on the bottom it never really rises all the way up the tower into the collection cup. Is there a defect in my Skimmer? I was wondering if this is normal because I'm getting a little worried

Heres a pic of wat it looks like

Thanks please reply
Old 03/15/2007, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

Be patient. New skimmers have to be broken in and the materials used in their construction have to be washed out. Even after you clean an older skimmer, it takes a while for the foam to start building up again.
Old 03/15/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

I'm having the same issues as you wasupdavey.
Mine is about 3 weeks old now and I am getting some foam up to the cup, but not much else in the cup.. usually the bubbles come right up to the top of the cup chamber and when I open the lid they go back down.The collection cup chamber gets full of green gunk and some crap on the upper part of it, but thats about it.. I have the cup all the way down at the moment hoping the foam will rise up.. . I am a total noob so I dont even know whats going on lol
I am also running this on a 29gal.. the microbubbles are killin me!

ill try to post some pics later tonight of the same angle that you took to compare.. do we need to mess with that white screw at all??
Old 03/15/2007, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

You guys can also contact AquaC directly for their input and suggestions. Their customer service is quite good.
Old 03/15/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Hi, Mario and Dave. I have the remora with the 1200 on it also. I have had it for a year and at best all you will ever get is lite green tea. It went from on the tank to the sump, with the same results. I have cleaned it and played with it for sometime now and I think thats the best it is going to get. It skims a little and then nothing at all for the last 3 days. So, this is an up to date report on it. Good luck with yours and if you have any hints for better skim mate please let me know. Mike.
Old 03/15/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

I'll try calling customer service this weekend on the issue about my skimmer. I heard the AquaC Remora was suppose to be a really good skimmer. We'll see how it goes in a couple more days.
Old 03/16/2007, 07:01 AM
Registered Member

Here are some pics I took last night. MY skimmer is about 3 weeks old and I only have 1 fish

I cleaned the cup out Sunday. I have never gotten any better foam up there or skimmate(sp)
Old 03/16/2007, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

damn.. looks like I may have wasted $200+ on my Remora Pro that is sitting on standby while I get all the stuff together for my 65g.

I may just go ahead with another option and sell the Remora to some sucker on eBay
Old 03/16/2007, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

Remora supposedly the best one out there.. maybe my tank sucks or it is still too new :? Like I said.. take my info lightly. I am a noob
Old 03/16/2007, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure that looks fine. Maybe the tank is really clean and just has nothing to skim lol. Mine is still looking the same this is the 5th day. No foam ever goes to the top. I'm going to stop playing with it now and let it sit for awhile. Some picture I saw from the remora had so much gunk in it. It probably just needs some time. The phone line for the customer service has been down I'll reach them somewhere in this weekend about what to do.
Old 03/17/2007, 09:46 AM
I am a super nose picker

I had a remora pro on my 150 with a mag 3 pump it never skimmed more than a green tea colour.They aren't the best skimmer.I have read people having better results with a mag 5 pump.I sold my remora but I should have used the mag 5 on it.It also depends on bioload if you have very little don't expect the skimmer to go nuts.A stronger pump will get you more bubbles.I wouldn't go anything less than a mag 5 for the remora pro.You should get better results with a larger pump.Don't forget what makes this skimmer work is there spray nozzle so the more water the more bubbles.
Old 03/18/2007, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

My AquaC Remora is finally making its way up the tower. Its at the peak right now. I'm so glad its working. =D
Old 03/18/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

is yours putting as many microbubbles in the tank as mine is?? i thought it would stop, but it hasnt in 3 weeks
Old 03/18/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Theres bubbles going back in my tank. But its normal because water hitting the surface of another water surface creates bubbles. Looking into my skimmer theres barly any microbubbles. So my skimmer is doing just fine, heres a pic of what mine looks like

Old 03/19/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

my water level is up high enough where the little spout is actually in the water and i still have those bubbles. will post a pic tonight
Old 03/19/2007, 07:11 PM
Grand High Puba

Just wanted to mention that I got my 1" injector for my EV240 today. Skimmate production has increased about 200%! I had to back off the water level and cut the air intake by about half.

I think the huge increase may have somthing to do with the new hose and injector. Any experiences anyone can share? The pump is a mag 18, tank is medium load.

Cheers,
Waxx
Old 03/20/2007, 03:52 AM
Jammin' with live rock

Does that mag18 have a 1" outlet? Those large mag pumps must push better pressure through a 1" hose and Injector. I believe others have had similar results. Kudos!
Old 03/20/2007, 06:54 AM
Premium Member

Hmmm, actually the Mag 18 has 3/4" in and out. Has anyone else has significantly better production with this setup? I'm using an EV-240 w/ Mag18, so if the results are usual then I'm up for trying it...I'm not sure why AquaC wouldn't do it that way though...

jds

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainCoral
Does that mag18 have a 1" outlet? Those large mag pumps must push better pressure through a 1" hose and Injector. I believe others have had similar results. Kudos!