Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 09:01 AM
AKA:

We never did lose power here in Tahoe, but we got over two feet of snow at Lake level and my DirecTv dish needs to be brushed off.

I love climbing 24 foot ladders hoping it is set good in snow!
Old 01/05/2008, 09:04 AM
Premium Member

Davis: Power outage started around 9:30 AM. Power came back on at around 5 AM. Tank temperature was at 58F. Things looked stress, but I don't see a complete meltdown. Time will tell.

Worst part of the outage - I stayed at home sick, and didn't have internet connection! ARGGGGG.... Thank goodness for BBQ's. I was able to feed the family and the neighbors.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:06 AM
Premium Member

Robert,

Glad to hear that your tank made it through this storm. I was thinking about you earlier - hoping that nothing happens to your systems - especially after the major outage your had in 2006.

Minh
Old 01/05/2008, 09:12 AM
AKA:

I learned from that experience Minh and now have a auto transfer generator hooked up to my home.

I was kinda hoping the power would go out here so I could get some use out of it. (And to make my neighbors jealous when the whole street is dark except my Christmas lights and lit snowman in the yard.)
Old 01/05/2008, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

Well, unfortunately my fences didn't hold up too well:

Old 01/05/2008, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Loomis still has no power thats 24hrs now!

I hope fellow reefers here in loomis had back up.

I know Drdna lives here and i think foothillcorals also. Good luck guys
Old 01/05/2008, 03:12 PM
Reef Cowboy

Just got power back. Generator ran 27 hrs straight. I'm so glad I bought that thing. Powered tanks, fridge, and I even offered to run a line to my neighbors breathing apparatus if the outage went on any longer... Now back to patrolling the perimeter.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:30 PM
My tank is too full

I took a generator over to another reefers house this morning. I am housing his yumas and such in my QT system. I could not believe all the damage I saw as I was going over to his house.

To thine own self be true
Old 01/05/2008, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffReef
I know that some parts of Arden have been out of power since last night. Hopefully, Rafael and the others that lives in that area are okay.

I lost power twice, for about 2 hr each time, everything is doing fine, even the frag tank in the garage is doing well

thanks Jeff
Old 01/05/2008, 03:52 PM
My tank is too full

I just talked to Doug and he has been out of town for the last two days. He lives off of fulton over there and that area. He won't be home until tomorrow.

Old 01/05/2008, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

I'm in Loomis and on Highcliff Rd (off of Laird...) I'm getting internet off of one on the neighbors 3-4 doors down and down to the last hour of my latop battery. I am running 300 watts of heaters and a small small powerhead for my 90 galon tank. I have not had power for almost 27 hours now and my fish are NOT doing well. the temp is around 68-70 degrees and the heaters and powerhead are running off of 350 watt power inverter on a minivan. My anemonees are not doing well and are very stressed out and I am trying to keep all the heat in that is possible. My corals are also the same as the anemonees. My fish are doing somewhat better and the tank is slowy heating up now. I hope others are doing better than I am and I hope PG&E actually gets the power on by 2-4 like they said. If anyone has any other usggestions LMK.

And just to inform you guys I went to ask at Aqualife and they have no power ike us Loomis People. 27 hours and about 3 hours ago their generator just quit. If anyone of you has an extra generator that you are not using than I'd suggest running over there and checking it out
Old 01/05/2008, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

I'm here in Loomis off of Barton. We lost power about 1pm yesterday and it came back on at 6am this morning. I had my generator running all night and still have it ready go should the power go out again, since it is now raining and windy again. The tank is doing okay.
My tree guys are outside cutting about about a dozen oaks that came down yesterday... they are going to be soaked, but since I don't know Spanish, I don't know how to tell them to go home for the day... their Sup already left...

<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><

Jeff
Old 01/05/2008, 04:16 PM
have fun with it!~)

Amigos Vominos tu la casa no mas travajo aqui para ti! Maybe not spelled correctly but it's worth a shot.

!-)

Last edited by sagitariuscbc; 01/05/2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:22 PM
have fun with it!~)

Translation...
Friends go to your house no more work here for you!-)
No mas travajo. The j sounds like an h. Se ca vo and listo are like it is done and finished. Y manyana othra cosa. And tomorrow something else. They are all worth a shot.
HTH

Last edited by sagitariuscbc; 01/05/2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, I'll give that a shot

Also, forgot to mention, I am on my second generator for the weekend... my first one was an old one my in-laws had. it lasted two hours before the motor blew up and dumped hot oil all over the garage floor... not fun. Finally ended up buying one at the Lowes in Lincoln since every place in Roseville was sold out.

Sometimes I can't believe what we go through for our fish...

PS - I just called Aqualife and they are closed today, apparently they don't have any power either.

<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><

Jeff

Last edited by DrDNA; 01/05/2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Yep, Actully the voice message changed again it was 2:42-4:42 to be restored here in loomis and now its 3:42-5:42.

Bottom line they have no clue so why get peoples hopes up?
Old 01/05/2008, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

Wow, many of us have taken a beating here!

Kevin95695, like you I was without power for 27 hours, but unlike you I only had a power inverter and a couple of Deep Cycle Marine Batteries. I ended up staying up most of the night tending to my main 28g Reef tank, babying it, switching batteries as one dried up, and then switching back when the other set off the low voltage alarm. This work mostly, but eventually I was just running one pump in the end. Flow taking priority to temp. To keep the temp up I would slightly warm some tank water on my backpack stove and return it slowly to the tank..I'm beat now! This served as a good lesson...Time to get a generator.

I hope all of you are fairing ok, and that there won't be too many tank casualties.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:08 PM
High Plains Drifter

I HOPE MY TANK IS OKAY!!!!!!!!!
Old 01/05/2008, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

is every body electric came back already,my was ok but i know most of elk grove was out most of the day yesterday.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Talking

this storm is taking a toll on my pocket book. sounds like it is doing the same for everyone else as well. i am sorry to hear about everyone's loses. I got totally lucky and didn't loose much except for a few pieces of frags of things i just fragged a couple of days ago, but no harm done there as long as everything else is ok. here are some pics to help cheer everyone up.

incredible hulk

calitort

eye of lucifer
Old 01/06/2008, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

I hate PG&E. Latest update says to be restored tomorrow night between 7-9pm, What a joke.

Man I'm so glad i got this generator. Probably my best and most smart aquarium purchase
Old 01/06/2008, 12:45 AM
My tank is too full

Quote:
Originally posted by jimdogg187

I HOPE MY TANK IS OKAY!!!!!!!!!
Me too Jim. I was wondering if you had someone on tank patrol.

Old 01/06/2008, 12:52 AM
AKA:

Quote:
Originally posted by kdblove_99
I hate PG&E. Latest update says to be restored tomorrow night between 7-9pm, What a joke.
I understand your frustrations with PG&E, kdb. I have gone through the exact same thing with Sierra Pacific Power trying to figure out when my electricity would be turned on. (Not this storm.) I am sure the operators that you speak to really don't have too much of a clue, but I bet the crews are doing their best to take care of everyone.

I left for Reno this morning at 8 AM and we received another two feet of snow today. But guess what? Not a single county plow came through my neighborhood. Cars are littered everywhere. I can not complain about the county workers because the main arteries were functioning well.

Quote:
Originally posted by kdblove_99

Man I'm so glad i got this generator. Probably my best and most smart aquarium purchase
I was able to work today, leave my home unattended knowing that my aquariums would be safe with my generator back up ready to fire up if needed. BUY A HONDA PEOPLE! You will need it one time or another and if you get a portable, you can make some great margaritas around the campsites!

My Morning.

Old 01/06/2008, 02:40 AM
Registered Member

Well we finally got power. It only took 36Hrs
Old 01/06/2008, 03:02 AM
espyesitis sufferer

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone! Hoping that the losses are minimal after all is said and done.