Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 11/22/2007, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family E.

Just checked out the square space, the tunzes are great. what is the plan for the Grey Poma. solitary confinement?? Marshal's great w/ juvenile corrections

chad
Old 11/22/2007, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

Ed, he doesn't have any big project unless you consider cutting PVC is big a project ...

He is very anxious to wait till tomorrow so someone can come over and hook up the plumbing for him... hehehehe
Old 11/22/2007, 02:18 PM

Thank you Chad!

I will most likely sell the Poma. He was a very good healthy fish, but it was him against my corals. He's in my sump now in solitary. I wanted to add more fish because of a recent comment saying my tank look sort of stale, but it looks like this fish wont be staying and need to look around for some others. That was a good laugh about Marshall!

And yes, just purchased another Tunze since I loved the 6201 very much. It's a whirlpool in my tank. It definitely beats having a closed loop. I've learned that a closed loop is really good for a chiller, but other than that the 6201 has an awesome spread of flow.
Old 11/22/2007, 02:33 PM

Hey, do you have a Reef Blower yet?

This is an MJ 1200 modded by Dahn Nguyen, with a piece of pipe fitted over the end. It is wicked powerful and will strip algae right off the glass. I use this in my tank with superb results.
Old 11/23/2007, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

Send him over Big E. I'll introduce him to a few of the "fellas"

Chad, you smarta$$

CAReefer
Old 11/23/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

JK of course Marshal . Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

E, how's the cardinals doing? I have a school of 9 orange stripe and they just fly around that tank eating everything in site . No room for anyone being shy that's for sure.....The only thing I can compair it to is a dinner at the in-laws .......BUT, you did'nt hear that from me

Chad
Old 11/24/2007, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

Chad, you are the funniest old man i've ever met.... I think it is time for you to show your tank... stop lurking at other people thread
Old 11/24/2007, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

40yr old body w/ a few dings and dents here and there...worth about $5 and change. Young,slightly twisted,sometimes medicated mind and spirit......priceless .

but hey, let's not turn this thread into talking about my body

Sorry E, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Chad
Old 11/25/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Hi,Edward~

May I ask you which skimmer are running on your ocean ??
because I feel your tank is very clean of water .
Old 11/27/2007, 08:03 AM

jnarowe, thanks for the pic. That would definitely come in handy!

Chad, all my cardinals are doing well. I had 5 but it down to 4. One of them died when I had my bulkhead leak incident. Not sure why.. but it did. Im thinking about adding some anthias.. a bunch of them.

willan, I am using a Euro Reef RC500. The oldest model. I got it from MakoJ and has been working great. I have seen great tanks on not so great skimmers. My euro Reef does pull a lot of dark skimmate. I had this same brand in my last 100g ZEOvit tank.
Old 11/29/2007, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

i am going back to bb edward.

do you like being bb?

i had better coral health with no sand vs. a ssb.

and youve got your lighting and colors down to a T.
Old 11/29/2007, 08:55 PM

Honestly I dont. I looked back at my pictures with sand and I love that look better. My corals started to get very light recently and took tips from naka to feed corals daily and now they are darkening back up. they are growing very well too now. This is with BB. I may stick with BB for a bit. I havent decided to make the change yet.
Old 11/29/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

hi edward

when you had sand, did you experience pieces of it clumping up or algal growth? on my ssb (~1/2 - 1") i never seem to be able to keep the sand sparkling white. its always clumpy or a shade of brown.
Old 11/29/2007, 09:30 PM

Detrivore, yes I did. It clumped up in certain areas and got very hard. This was good if you had great flow, but it needs to be broken up and cleaned. I used to break the clumps and throw them away (raked them up). But only half of it at a time. I didnt have this problem in the past, but it could also be due to high parameters in Oceanic Salt. Precipitation most likely.
Old 11/29/2007, 11:56 PM
Premium Member

i agree about the look of sand. it is the only thing thats keeping me on the fence.

how and what do you feed? ive been feeding rotifers once a week, 2 or 3 teaspoons. then depend on fish poop for the rest. seems to work fine i guess. i have some light corals, some brown, and some very colorful...so hard to make them all happy.
Old 11/30/2007, 07:02 AM

dont worry about the dark ones right now as they will color up in a couple of months if genetics lets them. Feed your corals daily to every other day. I have been feeding the coral mix food in a packet. Dont remember the brand. Rotifers, Phyto, Amino's, Marine Mix, etc. I dont have pappone as the stuff I have been using seems to be working well. Corals are growing so much better now too. Now I know why naka's corals were growing out of control. When I feed my corals, I turn off my return pump and let it sit for about an hour and shut off all internal pumps but one so its extremely low flow.
Old 11/30/2007, 10:40 AM
TRC Leader

That sounds really familiar.

However, if I were to feed the packets of stuff you've described, I bet my PO4 and NO3 would skyrocket. Oh well, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and try to keep those two numbers down.
Old 11/30/2007, 12:04 PM
Moved out

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
dont worry about the dark ones right now as they will color up in a couple of months if genetics lets them. Feed your corals daily to every other day. I have been feeding the coral mix food in a packet. Dont remember the brand. Rotifers, Phyto, Amino's, Marine Mix, etc. I dont have pappone as the stuff I have been using seems to be working well. Corals are growing so much better now too. Now I know why naka's corals were growing out of control. When I feed my corals, I turn off my return pump and let it sit for about an hour and shut off all internal pumps but one so its extremely low flow.
Atleast where did you get your food? Did you order it online? Sorry didn't read thru the whole thread... Don't have a free month to spare

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12/01/2007, 12:59 PM

Marc, I know what you mean. I havent had any issues with feeding my corals but have seen them get better.

Chris, I purchased them at my LFS. They are the ones in the cube packs. Do you want me to take pics of it for you so you can quickly identify them?

Other than that, I am happy to announce my new beautiful prized fish additions.. a Trio of Pictilis Anthias! The other female went into hiding, but once I get them all 3 together, I will post another pic. These fish are so beautiful. When I opened the bag, I was in awe. The colors are outstanding. Now I know why they are more pricey than other Anthias. I would like to get more females.

Old 12/01/2007, 01:06 PM
clownfish fan

Sweet fish for sure i love the colors on that male,
Old 12/01/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Very Nice!!! What fish do you currently have?
Old 12/01/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

WOW!
Old 12/01/2007, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

Very sweet! You have great taste in fish selection.

Are they eating well?
Old 12/01/2007, 05:52 PM

Thanks everyone.

Robo, My fish list is very short right now. After a recent comment about my tank not having enough fish.. I decided to add more especially after seeing David Saxby's video in action.

fastfish, only one female has taken a couple of bites from live brine. Im crossing my fingers the others get acclimated well into my tank and eat like pigs. They are all out in the open now swimming normal. I still cant believe the color these guys have. They make every other fish and coral look dull.
Old 12/01/2007, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

Dude, who gave you access to my fish list? I've already had to change it twice, now I have to change it again or everyone will think I'm copying.

Beautiful fish E, hope they start eating soon for you. LA?

Marshal