Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/20/2007, 06:42 AM
Is it Charles or Jen? =)

It's brand new, not sure if it's offered online yet =)
Old 08/20/2007, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

I have to say I was spoiled with my remora's.
Just adjust the collection cup to the desired skimmate and you're done. Even with a larger pump all you needed to adjust was the cup level.

The Ev-180 is a whole different animal.
Most of the problem is probably my fault.
I've only had it running for maybe a week 1/2 and I've already tried my Mag 7, 9.5 and Ehiem 1262 on it.

So far I think I like the wide open 1262 the best.
I've been controlling the skimmate with the air valve.
I just got it dialed in last night and this morning I have about 2" in my 5L waste container.
Old 08/20/2007, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

What do you guys use for modified air valves?

The airflow is so touchy with the ball valve. The line between skimming WAY too wet and not skimming at all is so fine that it is really hard to get it perfect.

I had it too wet one afternoon, and it filled a half gallon jug with clear water. Then I just barely touched the air valve, and the next morning, the bubbles were only 2/3 up the tower.

It seems as though a gate valve would work better. But gate valves are still made to control water. There has to be an air valve out there that would work perfectly.
12.21@118mph
46 gallon bowfront (not installed in the car)
Old 08/20/2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Wow. That's pretty extreme. Mine does it sometimes when I add chemical or use epoxy to attach coral to rock in my tank.
Old 08/20/2007, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

Hey all!

I have owned an AquaC EV-180 for about 1 year. I had been running it with a Mag 7 and gate valve on the skimmer output for about a year with what I felt were inadequate amounts of skim.

After reading through this thread I opted to put a bigger pump on the skimmer and chose the Eheim 1262. I have the 1" output on the pump that runs in 1" tubing to a hosebarb hooked up to a 3/4" ball valve. From there it reduces to a 3/4 tube to hook up with the skimmer.

I also changed the skimmer output by removing the gate valve and added a peice of straight vinyl tube to cut backpressure down.

When I run the pump wide open the water level in the tube goes up about 3". It has tons of tiny bubbles in it I would like to run the pump wide open if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to achieve this?

When I dial the ball valve back so the water level is at the top of the black box and adjust the air intake to produce bubble I get no skimmate at all.

Any help you geniuses could provide would be greatly appreciate.
Thanks!

Heres a couple of pictures...
Plumbing.

Water level at the top of the black box.

Pump wide open and air dialed in to make fine bubbles. Its hard to see but there is a discernable line in which you can see the water level a little bit. (Notice the super wet skim that it pushed through)
Old 08/20/2007, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

Your skimmate jar looks like it has an issue. Air can get into the jar through the tube, but it can't easily get out. You need another hole in the jar at least as large as the tube that goes into the jar. Your tube is blocking almost the entire opening. Though perhaps it is just an illusion of the picture.

Also, if you aren't getting any skimmate, and your water level is good, I'd give it a little more air.
12.21@118mph
46 gallon bowfront (not installed in the car)
Old 08/20/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

It looks like the foam is at the top of the box but not the water level.

I left my gate valve on so that I could get my water level up to the top of the box.

I'm running the 1262 but a 3/4 hose.
and i'm running the 1262 wide open and just adjusting the air valve and water level.

Old 08/20/2007, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OliverM3
It looks like the foam is at the top of the box but not the water level.

I left my gate valve on so that I could get my water level up to the top of the box.

I'm running the 1262 but a 3/4 hose.
and i'm running the 1262 wide open and just adjusting the air valve and water level.

Problem for me is that the water level is too high. Even with the gate valve on it was to high. I will move the waste jar and see what affect that has.
Old 08/21/2007, 05:39 AM
Premium Member

I run a 180 with a mag 9 wide open. I have no valve on my skimmer, I let the water level run where it will. I then adjust the skimmate with the air valve. I try to get the bubbles high enough so the gunk builds up in the cup portion instead of the tower part. When the air valve is all the way open I know I need to clean the injector or the pump. Wish you the best of luck.
Old 08/21/2007, 07:22 AM
Registered Member

It really is a pain to get it going.

What I did was adjust the air and water level so that the foam was in the middle of the riser with the smallest bubbles I could get. Then I left it for a day.

You can tell that you need to leave it alone if at 1/2 way up it's not creeping up the sides of the riser.

Once it kicked in the foam was filling the riser so I just adjusted the water level and air to give me about 1" or so space before it hits the collection cup.

I really need to replace the air ball valve with a gate valve. Like someone had suggested.
It's just to touchy to get the air just right.
Old 08/21/2007, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

Dumb question, but for those of you with the John Guest ozone port, I assume you plug this. What do you all use for that? I just realized that the reason turning the air down never really changed much is probably because this other port is left open. Oddly, it seems to work fine this way for me, but it would probably be nice to be able to fine-tune the air.

jds
Old 08/21/2007, 10:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OliverM3
It really is a pain to get it going.

What I did was adjust the air and water level so that the foam was in the middle of the riser with the smallest bubbles I could get. Then I left it for a day.

You can tell that you need to leave it alone if at 1/2 way up it's not creeping up the sides of the riser.

Once it kicked in the foam was filling the riser so I just adjusted the water level and air to give me about 1" or so space before it hits the collection cup.

I really need to replace the air ball valve with a gate valve. Like someone had suggested.
It's just to touchy to get the air just right.
So you don't have the water level adjusted to the top of the box then right? I think I'm going to get a 3/4" adapter for the 1262 and hook it up direct to the skimmer removing the ball valve completely. I will stick the gate valve on essentially having the same setup as you. When you have your gate valve all the way open and the air open where is the water level?

I have my calcium reactor going into the JG fitting. After I plugged the hole it made a huge difference in how the air ball valve worked.

Somethings gotta change asap because I left the skimmer over night and woke up to a 5 gallon bucket full of water.

I'm not beat yet. I gotta get this baby working!
Old 08/21/2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

I actually can't leave the air all the way open or I will flood the collection cup with wet foam.

You can see my 5lb weight on top of the collection cup.
I was tired of water leaking out when I was experimenting

With the gate valve open all the way and the air cut back a little I would say the water level is at the internal plate in the black box.

It's hard to tell but I think when I have it just right I'm pretty much right below the top of the black box.

Last edited by OliverM3; 08/21/2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08/21/2007, 02:04 PM
Premium Member

Okay got the new plumbing on:

Gate Valve: Fully Open
Air Valve: Choked back about half way.
New Plumbing: 3/4" Hose from the Pump to the skimmer. No Valve on pump output.
JG Fitting: Plugged

Heres a pic of what the foam tower looks like atm.

Gonna let it sit and see what happens.

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 08/21/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bureau13
Dumb question, but for those of you with the John Guest ozone port, I assume you plug this. What do you all use for that?
Either use a small piece of pinch off (melted shut) rigid tubing or used a small piece of tubing with a closed valve attached.
Old 08/21/2007, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

Hey everyone, I have a quick question. I have an 80gal sps reef w about 40 frags and colonies and 8 fish. I want to get either the ev-120, or 180. What do you think? Would I be better off with a recirculating ER type skimmer? You can get knock off ER's for like $300, but aquac has been good to me on smallertanks. Please help.
Old 08/21/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

It's amazing how different it looks when it's not skimming.
here is a pic right after I clean it.
but give it a couple hours and it right back to the top.

same settings as the pics above.

Old 08/24/2007, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

I'm starting to realize the potential of the pump upgrade! A little bit of dinking around and I think I'll have it! Thanks for all the info guys!

This is with the old Mag7

This is with the Eheim 1262!
Old 08/25/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

Eheim Quick Release

Hey Landon B,
Is that a phosphat reactor that we see there being used as a waste container?

If you guys have a waste container from AquaC (or a phosphat reactor ), I highly recommend this Eheim Quick Release. It let you disconnect the tube between the waste container and the collection cup a lot easier. Of course most of you just let the skimmate drain into a jug. :P

Old 08/26/2007, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

It sure is a phosphate reactor. I replaced it with the new style with the screw on cap so it was just sitting around. Nice Tip on the Quick Release. I will probably order one today. Thanks!
Old 08/26/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Re: Eheim Quick Release

Quote:
Originally posted by chris4869
Hey Landon B,
Is that a phosphat reactor that we see there being used as a waste container?

If you guys have a waste container from AquaC (or a phosphat reactor ), I highly recommend this Eheim Quick Release. It let you disconnect the tube between the waste container and the collection cup a lot easier. Of course most of you just let the skimmate drain into a jug. :P

Hey Thanks for the link:

I've been meaning to do something to make it easier to clean my 5L AquaC waste container.
I always leave it connected and wind up dumping the charcoal out of the cap.

I just finished hooking up my 5gal topoff.
I don't think I could cram another thing under my cabinet.
Old 08/26/2007, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

What Ehiem Pump can i use with my Ev-120? the 1260 or 1262?
Old 08/28/2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

I think people are using the 1260 for the EV120 and 1262 for the EV180.
Old 08/31/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Talking

OliverM3,
I think your equipments need more room to grow. It's time to upgrade!!
Old 09/01/2007, 06:14 AM
Registered Member

I think I can fit a little more in there.
I see a little room top left

This is actually a pretty new setup.
So my only option is to Drill some holes in the floor and put everything in the basement

Though I may relocate the Auto Topoff somewhere else.
This was just a test of the Kent float and a tote to make a quick auto top off for vacation.

Quote:
Originally posted by chris4869

OliverM3,
I think your equipments need more room to grow. It's time to upgrade!!